Stolen RL Pic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

About a year ago I broke it off with a partner.  I had shared an rl pic with him several months before that.  Today a friend told me that he has put my rl pic into the rl part of his profile with the word B*TCH under it.  Can i report him for harassment since he doesn't have permission to use my picture?  Is this a violation of the TOS and if so how do I go about it?  TIA!

To report abuse inworld, click help at the top of the viewer, to contact support and report him here, click help at the top of the screen.

I think it could be considered harassment, but that is just my opinion, people do worse and never get in trouble, but it's worth a try.

https://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php

The link to the Terms of Service (TOS) is at the bottom of this page.

Greetings!

I'd go with Charolotte's answer, submit an abuse report inworld, ensuring you do so with a screenshot of the photo and the word "b*tch" that your ex-partner has used to defame you.  This would come under the Community Standards/Terms of Service as being under harrassment and defamation of character.  Also, as you gave him the photo, not to share with the whole wide world, it is disclosure. 

LL may choose not to do anything about this, or they may give him a stern warning.

The best you can do though is mute/block him, do not speak of him with anyone, not even your friends, put him into the land of the non-existent, and his bitterness towards you will soon burn itself out.

I would think if his profile names your avatar as the one behind the RL pic then it is disclosure without question—how he came to have the image has nothing to do with that. I realize that even if he has not done that, your mutual friends will still probably know who he's talking about (this assumes he actually has friends: anyone who would do something like you described really shouldn't) and it might be harder to convince LL of that, but I think I'd make a big point of reporting it as RL disclosure anyway.

"I would say he does have permission as "YOU GAVE HIM THE PIC".......Unless you know someone very very very well, like in RL, you should not give out RL information. I am sorry for you dilemma"

He obviously no longer has permission to use the picture, so that's a moot point. You could know someone for 20 years inside and out and have a falling out and they could do this or worse to you. It's not her fault he's being a child about it. Victim blaming is wrong, and can be seriously damaging. It gains you nothing and only hurts already hurt people.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Sorry to interupt this discussion but I just have to express my pleasure at your picture finally being back :matte-motes-big-grin:

Back to the topic...

Report it. It may not do any good but it won't do any harm and it may do some good.

I know it is grossly immature of me, but an hour on, and I can still hear in my head:

Charolotte and Phil ... sitting in a tree ...

KAY.    EYE    ESS    ESS    EYE    ENN     GEE

______

Have to agree though; if I wasn't already 'batting for the other side' Charolotte's great profile photo would surely turn my head

You shure are purdy, girl :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

_______

And back to topic, and addressed to the OP:

I hope you get a happy and successful outcome, and can enjoy the rest of your SLife without such harrassment as you have already endured.

So people who check his profile and even bother to look at the RL tab will see your photo.

They have NO clue who you are. All they see is a photo of a random woman with the word "**bleep**" below it.

Your mutual acquaintances are not going to stop talking to you just cause he acts like a little kid about things. I don't know if you two were part of some clique or what not.

It is not likely that LL will do anything (they never do unless it is a violation that hurts them or makes them look bad).

However, you have nothing to worry about. Not like there is gonna be a youtube video going viral where someone says, "Now this lady in SL, she is a **bleep**..."

People like to air their dirty laundry all the time on the web just to act like children. They think "Oh I want the whole word to know" but the whole world doesn't give a crap, especially about some insecure man who got dumped by his pixelated girlfriend. he is making himself look bad if anything

I know you are hurting . And what this person did to you IS spiteful/wrong all of that. But he did not "steal" it. You gave it willingly. If someone in rl gives me something, particularly having acknowledged that it was "given" not "loaned" then it is mine. On the internet companies and indiv are not allowed to use the image of someone without permission because its considered "in the media". I guess the question is whether someones profile qualifies as media. On the matter of disclosing someone else personal information, really it kinda sounds to me like the only person making it your personal information is you since your SL name/avi name wouldn't have been able to be linked to the photo except for the fact that you're telling people its you :/    And if other people (or even you?) display this picture on profiles then it isn't that he's disclosing (cuz it would be disclosed those other places without complaint) but that its "him" doing it. -Could sound like you want LL to sort out a relationship problem.   Of all the stances , the one I would least question is defamation. Clearly its that. And they may tell him to pull it down.( just cuz it says "b****" ) But again, is he identifying the avi?

Thank you, Phil and Echo.

Op, if it were my real life picture someone put on the internet and was calling me a **bleep**, I would report it. Even if no one who saw it knew it was me, I would know, and there would be a probable chance that someone who knows me would come across that photo also.

People are not allowed to share our private conversations with them in Second Life, why should they be allowed to share our private photos?

The rest of the web, LL can not control, but they can respect our privacy in SL, it is not like they are mindless drones, they are people with hearts and souls too, or so I've heard. 

The name used for the OP belongs to a user created yesterday, presumably for the express purpose of being able to post the question without identifying the main. So there was nothing in there about giving 'personal information'. Also, I agree with the several people who have pointed out that how the perp got the photo is irrelevant: disclosing RL information without permission is the issue here, not how the RL information was acquired.

SinfulPrince wrote:

I know you are hurting . And what this person did to you IS spiteful/wrong all of that. But he did not "steal" it. You gave it willingly. If someone in rl gives me something, particularly having acknowledged that it was "given" not "loaned" then it is mine. On the internet companies and indiv are not allowed to use the image of someone without permission because its considered "in the media". I guess the question is whether someones profile qualifies as media. On the matter of disclosing someone else personal information, really it kinda sounds to me like the only person making it your personal information is you since your SL name/avi name
wouldn't have been able to be linked to the photo
except for the fact that you're telling people its you
:/
    And if other people (or even you?) display this picture on profiles then it isn't that he's disclosing (cuz it would be disclosed those other places without complaint) but that its "him" doing it. -Could sound like you want LL to sort out a relationship problem.   Of all the stances , the one I would least question is defamation. Clearly its that. And they may tell him to pull it down.( just cuz it says "b****" ) But again,
is he identifying the avi
?

My ex-partner gave me some lovely RL photos when we were together, and although I didn't steal them, if I share them here with you all, I know that I would be doing something extremely wrong, and probably in this context, I would lose my SL account.

There is allegedly at least one website where it's possible to find out real life information from a photo, if it has been posted elsewhere on the web. 

It's disclosure and defamation, and if the OP reports the fella, an official warning from LL that he could face losing his account, might just be the wake up call he needs to move on with his life and stop being so mardy.

I dont know much about this, but I just gotta put my two cents in anyhow lol.. thats just who I am...

My first thought is, how did he get it... theres a big difference if it was given full permission as a texture in sl. I dont know about rl vs sl pictures, but usually a texture given full permission in sl, is theirs to use. Not that I find it right to do, I find it childless, rude and a lot of other words I am sure I am not allowed to use here, and it says more about him than about you, but had it been me I would as minimum try to file a 'something' to lindens about it. (I am not english and forgot what its called).

If he did not get it full permission (I never give out real life pictures full permission for this reason, always copy or trans.. ) but if he did not get it full permission then to be able to use it as a profile picture then he would have to taken a screenshot to use. = a big nono... As only full perm. can be put as profile picture..

Ask Lindens, they must surly have had to deal with that problem before, but dont put up with it.. I know most ppl that see it wont know its you, but YOU know... and that would be enough reason to try and do something about it.. I hope we get a update if and when something happens... I wish you luck and I am sorry there is such ppl around.. comes to show to be careful who to trust online... unfortunally...

Madam Martian / Lis

All you gotta do is file a DMCA on it here the link to help ya http://secondlife.com/corporate/dmca.php yes this will work I have the same thing happen to me but wast a RL picture its was my alt ,, has I unstand it you gave it to him to see you not for him to show it and if that you 2 ageed too  and yes you can file a DMCA on him for it don't matter if he not telling any RL info,, if can file one on my picture of my alt I don't see why you can't a RL one .he the one brokeing the deal you 2 ageed with.

Who created the image?

Maybe they can DMCA it, the photographer may still have the copyrights to it. If you took it, you can say he had rights to look at it personally but no rights to post it anywhere. But, Imean....I don't think that would work so well. But, I tell you it doesn't work well will you hack my computer because you feel as if you have been wronged and somehow blame me for pointing it out to others who may do the same and not get DMCA'd? It is hard to tell what happens with people and who is doing what, huh?

madman626 Fall wrote:

All you gotta do is file a DMCA on it here the link to help ya
 yes this will work I have the same thing happen to me but wast a RL picture its was my alt ,, has I unstand it you gave it to him to see you not for him to show it and if that you 2 ageed too  and yes you can file a DMCA on him for it don't matter if he not telling any RL info,, if can file one on my picture of my alt I don't see why you can't a RL one .he the one brokeing the deal you 2 ageed with.

Yeah, she owns the rights to the image, she gave this copy to him for him to see. If he is using it wrong, I can't see why you wouldn't be right. BUT, the issue lies in that he can list it again and then she has to do it again, but within a year or whatever she is supposed to take him to court. This is where things get sticky and wierd. I am not sure the DMCA covers stuff other than money, I heard a lawyer here say (with the obvious caveat that she was no mine, and obviously not practicing at that point in time as one and was just talking about what happens) that the court can claim di minimus. THIS is the part I dont' want to mention, THIS is the part that is why I worry. People think I am letting a cat out of a bag here, if he is silly enough he can fight it in court and basically the OP may not wish to take it that far.

Since he doesn't have your RL contact info you may not be able to get any kid of slander because you are not a publicly recognized person. I really don't like posting in these threads, the law is a strange subject but since I have had to read up on some things, and seen the whole DMCA fiasco chats here and read a tiny bit about SOPA etc....I truly feel like this is jsut because it is easy, it doesn't tax my mind so much to regurgitate some of it! BUT, I never used Kaza or Napster, I never argued with people in the streets protesting for what may or may not be fair usage.....this is not my bag, I prefer to keep my nose clean really. So, SL is an odd experience here. It is strange in that the stuff here is not effecting RL so much, but it still does a tiny bit....is it enough though?

But, maybe the guy is right and we shouldn't feel sorry for you because you will tear our couches up, scratch the door up and might even poop, bark all night and insist on licking your butt to much!! lol?

spazzymcaltonson wrote:

I did file a harassment report on Tuesday but have yet to hear anything back from LL.  He still has the picture up so I'm assuming he wasn't warned.  Not sure how long it normally takes for action to be taken.  Is there somewhere I can follow up?

It may possibly be that LL think it is not harmful for someone to use a RL image of anyone if they're not actually also giving out any more information, such as real name, or even avatar name, but this bothers you greatly, and I believe Linden lab should remove the photo.  (Perhaps the folk dealing with ARs ought to try imagining how they would feel if their RL photo appeared on an ex-friend's profile - I think they would action it then!)

So, if it were me, I would file an AR on a daily basis until the photo gets removed.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.