SIMS Down

Malate Banufong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

fill out a support ticket.  The sim where I work was down almost 24 hours...I submitted a ticket and a very pleasent email arrived within 30 min.  Sim up and running.  Can't hurt to try!  I was a bit worried as my boss (the owner of said sim) is on vacation, but there were no issues with needing the actual owner contacting LL about this

Cheers

Autumn

Live Chat is faster if you have a concierge account but when it is closed the ticket filing for a down region is the next best thing.

For the 2nd time in the last 3 days I have filed a ticket on my own region of Zerango which has been offline 14 times in the last 10 days.

I don't know where or what LL did to screw this up so badly but one would think they would make this priority as so it doesn't cause people like me to say what's the use in paying for it if I can not use it.

I had a similar problem with Hobo Island a couple of months ago. We could suppress the problem by turing off scripts and narrowed the problem to a single parcel, which must have had an object with a malfuctioning script.  About that time my complaints to the concierge got an engineer to look into the problem.  That fixed it.   

TKR

Thinkerer Melville wrote:

I had a similar problem with Hobo Island a couple of months ago. We could suppress the problem by turing off scripts and narrowed the problem to a single parcel, which must have had an object with a malfuctioning script.  About that time my complaints to the concierge got an engineer to look into the problem.  That fixed it.   

TKR

Thinkerer, that sounds like an incredibly helpful and practical response.  Iam Runningbear has been suffering greatly, and you might have found a possible solution for them, or at least a 'lightbulb moment'.  It does sound more likely to be a malfunctioning script within an object, than a problem within the actual sim's server.

Just another thought, for Iam really, if it was the server itself that was causing Zerango to be down/inaccessible, then the other sims that share the server would probably all be down/inaccessible too. It seems unlikely, though, because you can actually see Zerango as it should look, not as the blue mass you normally see when a sim is 'offline'.

I would some what agree with this.

However. I am not the only other sim with this issue. There are many others. This all started at last weeks crash and burn fiasco where we hand multiple restarts.

I just happen to be the only one here in forums having anything to say about it.

Since Last Fridays crash and burn restarts we have seen drastic traffic count issues. Rez issues, Log in issues. Sim down issues. There have been no added scripts to the Region and all worked prior to what ever screw up LL did last Friday.

Wouldn't the responsible thing for LL to do is let people know what scripts are being effected or at the very least somewhere between the 3 rd and 14th restarts come and check the region.

They have a counter that shows how many restarts a region has gotten over any period of time.

But known the less it is something I can check.

I agree there do seem to have been a lot of issues introduced with the last deploy; and Support staff must have been pushed to the limits.

You may be the only person who is attempting to start a discussion about the issue of sims going offline and not coming back up/back up properly here on the forums, and awareness is key.  The more people submit support tickets to LL, the more they will be able to see the common denominator and work towards a solution.

I've heard people with similar issues speak in Second Life Beta group chat, but I know of no more than six others who have suffered with this, which is relatively small when you think in terms of the total number of sims in Second Life.

Thinkerer's idea to find out by a process of elimination which script is clashing with current code is an excellent one, although if it was not fun for me to be rooting out rogue scripts, I would certainly be onto Concierge/Live Chat to arrange for a member of staff to come out.  I understand how, in good faith, you buy or use a script and if it works ok in the first place, you feel it should always work.  Thinking back to 2008 when Havok 4 came into being, and how I had a rottweiler dog that caused massive chaos on the sim where I lived, it was a Linden who worked out it was his script that was causing the problem.

We've all got our own ways of dealing with things; some people are very calm, some people shout, and I actually get the feeling - mainly from own experience and the experience of friends and associates in world - that LL respond better to calm and rational.

Linden Lab are not the enemy, and I don't think they cause these problems on purpose.  Just try and bear that in mind if you can. Hopefully after this, the next lot of problems will fall onto someone else.  It's hard to modify a running program, and never recommended, there are bound to be good weeks and bad ones.

I don't think the Lindens can know what scripts are malfunctioning until they debug.   An update to the the server code may break some scripts, but the way the linden find that out is that people tell them.  In the case of the repeated crashes we had on Hobo Island, we were never able to identify the culprit script or object, because the crash wiped out our access to the data.  

The lindens would have access to the crash log, so they could identify the conditions that caused the crashes.  But at that point, their best course of action might be to fix the code, if they can.  

I would recommend mentioning repeated crashes in the ticket.  

TKR

Yann Mizser wrote:

We should all file a ticket, demanding a free month compensation for all this. I'm fed up with hollow exuses.....

Ya, about that...

10.2 Linden Lab provides the Service on an "as is" basis, without express or implied warranties, and all Content, Linden dollars and Virtual Land have no guarantee or warranty of any compensable value.

LINDEN LAB PROVIDES THE SERVICE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE LINDEN SOFTWARE, THE WEBSITES, THE SERVERS, THE LINDEN IN-WORLD CONTENT, AND YOUR ACCOUNT, STRICTLY ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, AND HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, WRITTEN OR ORAL, EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF TITLE, NONINFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

NO VALUE, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IS GUARANTEED OR WARRANTED WITH RESPECT TO ANY CONTENT, LINDEN DOLLARS OR VIRTUAL LAND. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS YOU MAY HAVE IN YOUR CONTENT OR ANY EXPENDITURE ON YOUR PART, LINDEN LAB AND YOU EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ANY COMPENSABLE VALUE RELATING TO OR ATTRIBUTABLE TO ANY DATA RELATING TO YOUR ACCOUNT RESIDING ON LINDEN LAB'S SERVERS. YOU ASSUME ALL RISK OF LOSS FROM USING THE SERVICE ON THIS BASIS.

Linden Lab does not ensure continuous, error-free, secure or virus-free operation of the Service, the Linden Software, the Websites, the Servers, or your Account, and you understand that you shall not be entitled to refunds or other compensation based on Linden Lab's failure to provide any of the foregoing other than as explicitly provided in this Agreement. Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of implied warranties, and to that extent, the foregoing disclaimer may not apply to you.

No Business guarantees their service to be error free.

But many if not most will do something to compensate bad service when it happens.

When my Internet went down, my ISP credited me for the days I was off line.  In other words I was not charged for the time I was unable to access the service.  And because it was the third time it happened, they gave me an additional weeks credit.

• 4 months later...

Hades Auxifur wrote:

hi im is estate to blue hwai sim's the sil have crashed because crasher sim strees resident.now is dounw hade 24hours plz help

I suggest you get someone to check what you wrote and re-post it so we may understand your issue.  If your native language is not English I suggest you enter it in your native language instead so that we may translate it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4129 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.