Staying in contact via email?

Airway

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am going to be away from SL indefinitely and am wondering if it is still possible to communicate with friends without having to log in. I've seen some products in the marketplace that claim to allow one to use email to send IMs. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Thank you.

Here is one example of a product I saw:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/XD-Send-IM-From-Email-with-only-Knowing-the-Avatars-Name/1853436

That is correct.

"Replying to IM emails

If you reply via email to an IM, the original sender receives an IM. You still receive the forwarded IMs the next time you log in (up to 25), but you do not see any replies you've made via email. When replying to an IM by email, the message is limited to 1023 characters, and you must reply within five days." - Getting IMs when you are not logged in

I don't know anything about the product you mention in the OP, but such a script is certainly possible, and relatively simple. Assuming it works the way I'd script it, you would need to keep that scripted object rezzed out somewhere, and remember the email address it gives you. Also, you'd need to be careful to keep messages short, and to be accurate in naming the intended recipient. (It wouldn't use display names, but that shouldn't be a problem.) Messages it sends will, of course, come from the object, not from you directly... and that affects how the messages are handled. (I think offline object IMs won't get sent to email, and will be filtered out for anybody who has "Only friends and groups can call or IM me"... but I'm not completely sure about that.)

The alternative MySL thing would also work, but only a tiny number of residents have ever used it, so it may be confusing for recipients to actually see the messages.

(Tangentially related: there's a fairly short window during which it's possible to use email to directly respond to IMs-to-email. Maybe a day, or something like that.)

(ETA: ... and very rarely, scripted objects just stop getting emails. This is a longstanding bug that occurs so infrequently that it may never get fixed. Not that it would help in this case, but it has the following slightly wacky workaround: Wear the object that's supposed to be getting emails, move to another sim and back again, then Drop (not detach) the object, and it will start getting all the emails that queued up while it was stuck.)

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

(Tangentially related: there's a fairly short window during which it's possible to use email to directly respond to IMs-to-email. Maybe a day, or something like that.)

It's not 5 days? 

I've had messages 'bounce' after three days.

Airway wrote:

I am going to be away from SL indefinitely and am wondering if it is still possible to communicate with friends without having to log in. I've seen some products in the marketplace that claim to allow one to use email to send IMs. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Thank you.

Here is one example of a product I saw:

I haven't tried that but for 200L$ it's worth a try, but looks like it would require you to have land, an other option might be to use one of the phone apps that let you log in to sl you can't see things with it but you can chat and IM with people.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General/What-cell-phone-should-I-buy-and-what-client-to-send-and-receive/qaq-p/693473

I purchased this item and so far it is not working.  :smileyfrustrated: I have tried sending two IMs to different people and neither one has gotten it.  The instructions seem pretty simple.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/XD-Send-IM-From-Email-with-only-Knowing-the-Avatars-Name/1853436

UPDATE:  Ugh it works but the message shows up in local chat not as an IM pop up, so who is going to see it?? Many people don't follow local chat.  Wasted 200L.  :(

At first I thought you meant that the item simply read out the email text on local chat, but I realize you mean that an IM from an object is handled differently from avatar-originating IMs, and doesn't get the recipient's attention.

Yeah.  Coincidentally, there was a recent thread in the scripting forum about how to get some sort of notification to show up on a session logged into a distant sim, because script-to-avatar communications such as menu dialogs have limited range. The best I could come up with was to give inventory to the recipient--although there's no way for the script to customize the offered item to fit the message, so it would be sort of a "You've got IM!" token, where the IM is delivered separately.

(Okay, that's not strictly true.  This is veering into Rube Goldberg territory, but the script could give an object that communicated back to the server, get the email message, then display it all sorts of ways--but the given object would have to be rezzed by the recipient in order for any of that to work.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.