You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed a problem getting worse ... when I log into my sim or TP to other sims ... there are missing graphics,  parts of buildings etc until I click them then they appear.  Anyone know a resolution to this?  I have a fairly strong computer with the  graphics memory set to 512meg.  I have tried clearing cache and also restarting the computer ... nothing helps.

Have you updated your graphics card drivers recently? If not, see if you need to by visiting the manufacturers website for your specific graphics card, although it sounds more like a problem with how the information is relaying from the servers to your computer, ie a break up with the connection.  Are you using wireless by any chance?

Well, well, well

Until I read this post I was beginning to think that it was just me.  No, I have not the faintest idea why it happens but I have noticed it more than ever just recently.  What I have noticed is that the offending items are more often than not sculpted prims.

Now sculpties take a lot more work from the graphics card to rez, but also they need more information to be sent from the server.  It has been known for a while that information download from servers in SL seems at best variable, and I think I am right in associating the apprent increase in Bake-fail with this issue.  This issue also is suffered by some Mesh clothing, like all work, some is better made than others.

The problem can be somewhat improved by reducing your draw-distance, since there is less info being downloaded to your client (viewer), but I think this merely masks the essential issue.  This, I would think, is why so much effort is being expended on Project Shining by The Lab.

BTW I have a good PC with one of the best GPUs out there, an nVidia GTX580, a cable connection and my bandwidth is fully optimized for SL.  So it is none of those things. Oh, and my GPU driver is fully up to date!

I haven't been able to make sense of it but after some server upgrades a few weeks ago I started having problems with objects and Avatars taking longer to rez.  Way longer.

After checking through my settings, I turned off HTTP Textures and it fixed the problem for me.

I don't know what the deal is with HTTP textures.  Supposedly they are supposed to work better.  Yet we do see them cause issues for people.  You may want to try toggling this.  If it's on, try turning off, or visa versa. 

I've been seeing what I think is the OP's problem quite a lot the past few weeks: Things--just standard prims--that are apparently fully downloaded simply won't render -- I can walk around on them, doesn't matter -- until I right-click on them, and then they render instantly. The behavior I'm seeing seems to originate in the viewer, just because it renders immediately when clicked.

I use both LL's current release and Firestorm; not surprisingly, I haven't noticed much difference between them in this regard.

One possibly suggestive thing is that I see it most often with prims in the same build on the same sim, after I teleport in... but not always exactly the same prims.  The ones I'm describing are out of view, off to the side of where my cam points when I arrive. I sort of suspect that the viewer somehow thinks it has already drawn them, and only decides to redraw them when it needs to show a highlight in response to a click.

(I think unrelated:  I also have problems with attachments--notably hair--only drawing some of its prims after teleporting, until I right-click on it, but I've had that problem for ages. That hair is all standard prims, but my mesh attachments, showing fine on one sim, also take arbitrarily long to draw after teleporting, but again I don't think that's particularly related.)

Toggling HTTP Textures is certainly worth trying.

There are various aspects of the Linden Labs handling of HTTP Textures which can trip up your router and trigger lower priority settings on your ISP's network. You cannot easily tell if that is your problem, so all you can do is give it a try.

This may also, depending on Viewer, clear your cache. This will make things worse for a while, so minimise the draw distance before you do this.

The Linden Labs FUBAR service is apparently working find, but what's new?

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Toggling HTTP Textures is certainly worth trying.

There are various aspects of the Linden Labs handling of HTTP Textures which can trip up your router and trigger lower priority settings on your ISP's network. You cannot easily tell if that is your problem, so all you can do is give it a try.

I recently did some reading about packet loss just to get a little overview of the subject.

One thing I am wondering is how accurate the packet loss numbers in the Statistics Box really are.

Especially when one considers this:

"There are many methods used for determining which packets to drop. Most basic networking equipment will use FIFO queuing for packets waiting to go through the bottleneck and they will drop the packet if the queue is full at the time the packet is received. This type of packet dropping is called tail drop. However, dropping packets when the queue is full is a poor solution for any connection that requires real-time throughput."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_loss

Yes I've been seeing this same problem  for several weeks....and it is always just a normal prim or a linked object of normal prims.  Parts of my Castle in view of my home rez position  and usually at logon  to home location.

As soon as you right click  the object rez instantly.  I use http for textures  so  perhaps related to that.

I use http for textures  so  perhaps related to that.

Maybe. I use HTTP textures about half the time because (although it may be superstitious) I seem to find that toggling HTTP forces texture loading to complete, regardless of whether I'm turning it on or off.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I've been seeing what I think is the OP's problem quite a lot the past few weeks: Things--just standard prims--that are apparently fully downloaded simply won't render -- I can walk around on them, doesn't matter -- until I right-click on them, and then they render instantly. The behavior I'm seeing seems to originate in the viewer, just because it renders
immediately
when clicked.

I use both LL's current release and Firestorm; not surprisingly, I haven't noticed much difference between them in this regard.

One possibly suggestive thing is that I see it most often with prims in the same build on the same sim, after I teleport in... but not always exactly the same prims.  The ones I'm describing are out of view, off to the side of where my cam points when I arrive. I sort of suspect that the viewer somehow thinks it has already drawn them, and only decides to redraw them when it needs to show a highlight in response to a click.

(I think unrelated:  I also have problems with attachments--notably hair--only drawing some of its prims after teleporting, until I right-click on it, but I've had that problem for ages. That hair is all standard prims, but my mesh attachments, showing fine on one sim, also take arbitrarily long to draw after teleporting, but again I don't think that's particularly related.)

I've been seeing this too lately and it's most frustrating when shopping in Second Life as vendors are so slow to rez and often you have to click them to do so. Reducing draw distance and graphics quality help but I use UDP only so it's not a HTTP issue.

As I didn't know if it was his newer viewers or SL, I brought this up with Niran on his SLU thread and he agreed with the decreased rezzing speed saying it is due to SL servers.

http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/alternative-sl-clients/64897-nirans-viewer-fixed-45.html

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

I've been seeing what I think is the OP's problem quite a lot the past few weeks: Things--just standard prims--that are apparently fully downloaded simply won't render -- I can walk around on them, doesn't matter -- until I right-click on them, and then they render instantly. The behavior I'm seeing seems to originate in the viewer, just because it renders
immediately
when clicked.

I've been seeing this too lately and it's most frustrating when shopping in Second Life as vendors are so slow to rez and often you have to click them to do so. Reducing draw distance and graphics quality help but I use UDP only so it's not a HTTP issue.

As I didn't know if it was his newer viewers or SL, I brought this up with Niran on his SLU thread and he agreed with the decreased rezzing speed saying it is due to SL servers.

Which is what I've been suspecting has been the problem for a while now, there is a failure to communicate.

The server software is not as compatible with the viewer software as it should be.  Or visa versa.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for responding ... I logged in this morning at home and it was the worse I have ever seen ... so much of the house missing ... hope we get resolution in a server update.  (loved the "failure to communicate")

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3185 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.