Suggestion: Display Names vs. User Names

JulietteHayworth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since LL changed user names for new accounts after 2010 to a single name with a last name of Resident, and also allowed display names, I have seen a lot of confusion in-world. To simplify this mess, why not have both user names AND display names viewed by everyone by default, without an option to not view one or the other. I think that would make everything consistent and easier to identify other avatars. As it is now, those who choose not to view display names end up calling other avatars by their user name, which may not be the preferred name they wish to go by.

I typically only show display names. My thinking is a) people who prefer to not bother with a display name jsut show there user name instead automatically and b) people who do bother to change their dispaly name liekly dont mind being called by that name as thats something they chose. I also set my viewer to change the floater color when the display name/user name differ so I have a cue when they are different.

I for one wouldnt want to always see both, less is more when all the floaters anyway, IMHO.

--sean

Display name do cause confusion.

Especially with owners of active regions or parcels. When reporting a griefer somethimes you get the wrong name and waist your time and in most cases have to redo everything again.

Display names ad to the over all resources on the data base and it is my opinion a total waist. There is no individuality in display names. Any number of people can have the same name.

For example: This is a true fact. A griefer for instance can take the name of a well known club owner in their display name copy the profile and go around claiming to be in troubled and about to loose their club. This is a true story and happened to about 5 or 6 major club owners in SL.

I say go back to account names, save the resources and scrap display names. This is a world of imagination. SL should give out last names and let others use their imagination to achieve a first name.

Display Names are a problem in several ways. The Lindens thoguht and still think they are a good idea. The most Watched and Voted JIRA item is to bring back Last Names. It is hard to convinence the Lindens to change their thinking becuse they don't give us all the reasons and data for why the change was mode or the data since the change to follow up.

But, since we have them, one has to decide if they want more freedom and choice in their life of more thrid party control forcing them to do things that someone else thinks is a great idea...

Frankly, it's not the provision of the Display Name that is the issue, it's the predominance of dot squiggle square names - unpronounceable.
My usual recourse is to call people by the first syllable of whichever name is pronounceable & they'll just have to put up with it.

I most certainly will not address people by spurious honorifics they may decide to give themselves, Master this or Princess that.

Norton Burns wrote:

Frankly, it's not the provision of the Display Name that is the issue, it's the predominance of dot squiggle square names - unpronounceable.

My usual recourse is to call people by the first syllable of whichever name is pronounceable & they'll just have to put up with it.

I most certainly will not address people by spurious honorifics they may decide to give themselves, Master this or Princess that.

THAT

I have display names turned off by default for several reasons.

1. A display name has no meaning if it can be changed on a whim. Why the hell should I be bothered with keeping track of who's who when people constantly change their names? Who's who on my friendslist? Who's who in that group I'm in? I seriously can't be bothered to find out. If people want to hide behind a new name, then I'll let them hide behind that, but not in my friendslist.

2. The old username system provided unique usernames, display names do not. It's totally possible to find 20 people standing together with the exact same display name. Good luck addressing a specific one of them with that.

3. Usernames are currently a VERY easy way to make threat assessments for griefers. Does the user have a last name? The chances of him/her being a griefer go down noticably. A user with an old name intent on griefing will generally make a throw-away account which does not have a last name, instead of using his/her main account where all his/her items, contacts and lindens are stored. Yes, this may sound harsh, but under circumstances where there's a high griefer threat, I look suspicious at anyone without a lastname.

4. Displaying both a username and a displayname clutters up my screen. I don't like that, so I display only one.

5. The old firstname-lastname system actually encouraged some smart usercustomization. The first name was for customization, the lastname for identifying. Two people could both be named James, but they'd still have different lastnames for identification purposes.

I DO think display names are a great addition to second life. But I simply don't feel they warranted the removal of last names.

• 1 year later...

hiya~! I is not so good at SL stuff yet an didnt knows how ta set's up me Account here in Second life so I has me Sister does me account up fer me, but when she sets me account up she gives me ze wrong name by accident an nows I cant get rid of it~! I tries ta change it but it still shows HazelEyesSL in brackets that everyone see's~! an I gets called this by some peoples but it's not me name~! So I clicks reset thinkin it woud clears it only ta finds it jest reverted me whole name back ta HazelEyesSL an now say's I cant changes it fer awhile~ I is jest wantin me own name on me Account an me own name showin only~! But I cant seem's ta finds out how ta does this~! PLEASE HELP PLEASE SOMEONES ANYONES~! :/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.