Caches...should i delete contents after logging off?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

you can delete them but it will slow down SecondLIfe the next time you log in  beause all of the cached assets will have to be redownloaded from the servers. If you do decide you want to remove your cache files the easiest way is to use "Clear Cache" in your preferences, it will delete the files the next time you start the program.

You might want to see if your anti virus program would allow you to exclude just that directory from scanning, it is pretty unlikely that Linden Labs is going to install a virus into that directory. Though I guess anything is possible.

Typically the only time you want to delete cache files is when you are having problems with sl, sometimes corrupted cache files can cause problems.

it's always better to have a full cache than an empty one as your aren''t continually downloading from the SL servers if you are having problems you should never clear your cache unless you have corrupted textures not bake fails as clearing your cache can make your problems worse if you want to you can always set your cache to an external drive so your virus scanner doesn't have to scan it every time

Melody Frostwych wrote:

Everytime I scan my computer with an anti-virus program, the SL caches slow the process down A LOT.  Do I need all the stuff that's in those folders?  If not, what do I keep and what to I delete?

Thank you,

Melody

I always delete the SL cache folder in the Local AppData folder before doing a  virus scan. As you say, it just takes too long with it there.

I clear my caches quite regularly. Files get fragmented and there comes a time when your computer will take longer to find the fragmented files in your cache than upload then afresh but there are differing opinions on clearing cache.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Melody Frostwych wrote:

Everytime I scan my computer with an anti-virus program, the SL caches slow the process down A LOT.  Do I need all the stuff that's in those folders?  If not, what do I keep and what to I delete?

Thank you,

Melody

I always delete the SL cache folder in the Local AppData folder before doing a  virus scan. As you say, it just takes too long with it there.

I clear my caches quite regularly. Files get fragmented and there comes a time when your computer will take longer to find the fragmented files in your cache than upload then afresh
but there are differing opinions on clearing cache.

One of the problems is that people use Clearing Cache as a catch all when they are having problems.

Friend: I couldn't log in so I cleared my cache.  That seems to have fixed my problem.

Me:  I had some trouble logging in and checked Grid Status.  They were having some trouble but report it fixed  now. 

Friend:  Oh.

Friend:  Well, it never hurts

< Friend TP's to join me at busy club we go to frequently. >

Friend:  It is taking forever for things to rez here for me.  The Lag here is terrible tonight.  This is no fun.

Me:  It's not Lag, the server is now having to send all the Data afresh to your computer. 

-----------------------

So that is often times the real issue.  While diagnosing problems can sometimes be a pain, we fall back on clearing cache too often as a 'cure all.'  A side affect of what my friend did was it added more load to an already busy server on a crowded SIM, impacting every one else.

No doubt, the cache can get corrupted and can need clearing out.  And like any other Data on your computer can need defragging.  I run defrag while I sleep.  I do the same also when I run a full virus scan.  Then I am ready to roll while I'm awake.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.