I have problems with some heels

StilettoSara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a pretty new member here I found that the most hard to get good set, is heels.

Since I don't want to make the heels too big, I first start to place em just so I barely reach the legs ends (if the heels have straps) Then no matter how I try, The straps around my ankles will not be visible all away around my legs.

Then I have to make the heels all from 5-10 % bigger to even get close to cover the leg and have the straps almost visible all around the legs.

Many heels also dip down deep into the ground. (extreme platforms mostly) No matter what I try, they stay into the ground. I use the HUD's for the heels and many have the option to make em LARGER, smaller and reset em to original ones.

One week ago, suddenly (and I don't know how) 3 of my platforms were above the ground (and I have no clue what made em do that.) So for the rest of those kinds of heels, I have no clue how to manage 'em, to get em above the ground?

I also got a pair of nice thigh highs some day ago and started to set em. They were not with platforms, but were burried deep into the ground as well. Today I was so frustrated :) So I started to fix 'em in all kinds of ways.I happen to use the rotate tool and omg, Now they look crazy. I have tried to fix em for 4 hours today but naaa aaaawh. They will never be normal again.

When we reset a pair of heels by the HUD's reset tool, it will not reset what we have done using the EDIT tools.

All advice n tips for how to set heels good would be very appreciated

Hugggs ..Sara

Ok, first, we will assume you are using the standard V3 viewer. 

When you edit your heels, you need to stand on a posestand or play a pose animation so that your feet are side by side, the common T pose or similar.

To prevent your heels from sinking or floating into the ground, simply edit them along the vertical axis. Right click heel > edit.

Before you make any adjustments to anything ever again, if you can, make a back up copy, that way when you mess up irreparably, you can rez a new copy and start over.

Some viewers, such as Exodus, have an undo button, Ctrl Z, that will undo your last edit so that you can go back to before you messed up. Also some have a ground offset feature that lets you adjust how far above or below the ground your avatar is standing. 

Hello - I'd suggest you also look at the Height Offset feature.  

Some ultra high-heeled platform shoes will sink into the ground, and what you need to do is make your av "float" above the ground when you wear them.  This will mean that the sole of the shoe touches the floor, whilst the bottom of your av's foot is several inches off the ground - exactly as it would be in RL if you were wearing platform shoes.  

Do as has already been advised, stand on a posestand, adjust the shoes to fit your feet and legs, then adjust the Height Offset till the shoes are properly on the ground, and you can see all of the sole/platform. 

Remember to adjust the Height Offset back to 0 when you take the shoes off, or you'll be floating above the ground, though!

Yes, you can get many free pose stands for free from the marketplace or inworld stores.

My two favorites are Kubric Flux's free posestand and Insanya's free pose stand.

Insanya's, you can just drag and drop poses into it and you can change rotation angle and more by a menu, but Kubric's has my favorite Tpose that I have found so far, and also was like my first ever pose stand, I think since he updated it you can drag and drop poses into it also.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/KUBRIC-FLUX-Female-Pose-Stand/1882313

Insanya you can get the pose stand for free as a group gift, but it costs to join, but you also get a bunch of other stuff for free.

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Sintoma/127/162/25

I dunno why it tells me to log on each time I want to type at the forum? I am already logged on and 4/5 times it re direct me to a page telling me it couldn't be done...And yes I am already logged on *lol* Crazy but finally here to answer your answers ;)

First of all many thanks for your reply

I don't know how I see what type of viewer I have? And is that standard one good?

Yes I use a pose stand often coming with the heels. We stand not totally straight on em but with legs a lil "silly" set on those, like we are riding a cow or something ;)

Yes I lift the heels up and the problem is not to lift em up, but that the top of the feet inside a sandal as one example is way more small that the bottom of the "cut off leg" ..I need to make the straps of the sandals to surround the legs bottom size, else the straps will be engulfed by the lower legs. Then I make the sandals bigger n bigger in size and when they surround the legs they are half way up on the smaller legs, making it looking crazy by it's proportions.

For thigh highs...the problem is that the upper part containing the knee, will be pierced badly by the lower parts I lift up. Creating the vision of that you have one lower n one higher knee. Beside that the shafts are too small...and if to fit around the thighs...I need to use the STRETCH tool. If the thigh highs having metal holes n lacings those will not be close to fit in a nice way after with the way smaller bottom part.

The thing with a back up would have been good to know of :) Wherefrom and when and how do I do that. Do I simply right click the folder and choose COPY?

Too have been able to lift our avatars up instead of only the heels had been a such needed feature. Bc I decided to have a shape I am happy with ...And then to not letting the flesh run through the boots or stockings visible is hopeless...I don't want my heels to look size 15 ;) just to be fitting the legs...So I tried to make my avatar both giant and midget but no no....and tried to make the avatar very very thin and no...it doesn't matter what I do.

I will try on and ty so much ones again for your reply.

Hugggs Sara

Hi n thank you for your reply :)

How do I make my avatar to float?...Do you mean like flying? Or are there some animated sets for that...to make ones avatar flow? I am so green into this so I need to ask :)

Because as I walk there are no problems with the heels. The platformed sandals and thigh highs are those I found most hard to get up from the ground without making the heels WAY to big or ending up right under my knees to cover my legs good.

Another thing is that, the top/shafts of like knee high boots aren't getting bent as i am bending my legs? That makes the knees run through the boots at top.

Hugggs Sara

StilettoSara wrote:

I dunno why it tells me to log on each time I want to type at the forum? I am already logged on and 4/5 times it re direct me to a page telling me it couldn't be done...And yes I am already logged on *lol* Crazy but finally here to answer your answers
;)

For thigh highs...the problem is that the upper part containing the knee, will be pierced badly by the lower parts I lift up.

That login over and over thing has a JIRA against it, it's redirecting to the wrong site for some reason.

For thigh highs, buy MESH boots, that's the solution for good thigh highs :)

Yes it's really frustrating when being asked to log on (when you know u are) And then it's now one allowed action when you well do it :) lol...Like talking to a wall or something right :)

Thanks for your reply...Ohh btw what is one "JIRA"

When I started here...I was told to buy mesh skins...So I did ...I also bought skins that can be added too like heels n clothes n so on, but those shapes are not able to edit (But at least I could buy nice things for em....Now I started with skins that aren't mesh skins :)

Do the MESH boots come in nice thigh highs without platforms and sandals both with and without platforms...and do u have any links so I can have a look at em? :)

Hugggs Sara

Here's an example of mesh boots https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Similar-Bellona-Black-Mesh-Boots/2943157

Personally, I wouldn't touch a mesh avatar if you have any interest in choosing clothes and other things to go with it.

JIRA is the software used by LL (and other companies for bug filing and tracking).  This is the one I opened for the forum login issue. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-4794

StilettoSara wrote:

I dunno why it tells me to log on each time I want to type at the forum? I am already logged on and 4/5 times it re direct me to a page telling me it couldn't be done...And yes I am already logged on *lol* Crazy but finally here to answer your answers
;)

First of all many thanks for your reply

I don't know how I see what type of viewer I have? And is that standard one good?

Yes I use a pose stand often coming with the heels. We stand not totally straight on em but with legs a lil "silly" set on those, like we are riding a cow or something
;)

Yes I lift the heels up and the problem is not to lift em up, but that the top of the feet inside a sandal as one example is way more small that the bottom of the "cut off leg" ..I need to make the straps of the sandals to surround the legs bottom size, else the straps will be engulfed by the lower legs. Then I make the sandals bigger n bigger in size and when they surround the legs they are half way up on the smaller legs, making it looking crazy by it's proportions.

For thigh highs...the problem is that the upper part containing the knee, will be pierced badly by the lower parts I lift up. Creating the vision of that you have one lower n one higher knee. Beside that the shafts are too small...and if to fit around the thighs...I need to use the STRETCH tool. If the thigh highs having metal holes n lacings those will not be close to fit in a nice way after with the way smaller bottom part.

The thing with a back up would have been good to know of
:)
Wherefrom and when and how do I do that. Do I simply right click the folder and choose COPY?

Too have been able to lift our avatars up instead of only the heels had been a such needed feature. Bc I decided to have a shape I am happy with ...And then to not letting the flesh run through the boots or stockings visible is hopeless...I don't want my heels to look size 15
;)
just to be fitting the legs...So I tried to make my avatar both giant and midget but no no....and tried to make the avatar very very thin and no...it doesn't matter what I do.

I will try on and ty so much ones again for your reply.

Hugggs Sara

K, try a pose stand that has your feet side by side, not like riding a cow. Kubric has a good free pose stand.

To see what viewer you are using, in your viewer, even on the log in page of your viewer, you can click Help > About Second Life. The very first thing it says will tell you which viewer you have. The standard viewer is too crashy for me, I use Exodus, it is like the standard viewer, but better. http://exodusviewer.com/

The Exodus viewer also has the ground offset feature so you can adjust how high your avatar is off the ground, very useful when wearing heels.

To make a copy of anything that you are allowed to copy, right click it and choose copy, in your inventory. Rename the copy the exact same thing but with the word COPY at the end so you don't mix them up.

Editing shoes, heels, boots, etc can be very time consuming and a pain in the ass, if you start with poor quality products, you will struggle more, nothing is as refreshing as discovering a shoe that fits almost immediately with little to no adjusting. Many times, the price is so worth it.

I say, if it is taking too long to get it just right, stop. Put on a diff pair and try again later, there is too much other stuff to do.

So, editing footwear is a process, it can be done, and once you get one done how you like, the next ones will be easier.

Hi again :) And thank you for your new answer..

I am in my one room I clicked help now...And one lil box opens up and I don't know what to look for...But it's maybe this?: Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0012.9573
OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

I downloaded the free standing pose plate....And yes it's better and i am above the ground at least there :)

I save that link to that other viewer...if the one I use is not good. OMG that would have been so nice...I just read about the thing you desribe: """"""The Exodus viewer also has the ground offset feature so you can adjust how high your avatar is off the ground, very useful when wearing heels.""""""

That is just what I need :) But will other ppl see that like I do, if they have another viewers?

You wrote: """"""The Exodus viewer also has the ground offset feature"""""" Is it easy to find that feature. You maybe can describe where in my window I will find it :)

Yes I will def start to copy all I am allowed to copy :)

Thanks in advance sweetie :)

Hugggs Sara

Hi again :) I tried to download the Exodus Viever but my computor says it's not safe,...I know right many times comp. has their own lifes....What would you say about this viewer....is it safe to use?

The thing with how high up I will be above the ground thingie...Is that easy to set with that viewer?

I checked again with what viewer I may have and at top of that lil box opening up it says: Release Notes/Second Life Release/3.3.4      Is that the viewer? Bc it doesn't say so there in the box...but then as I clicked the link: Release Link it takes me to a page mubling about viewer....Yes it says: Release Notes for v3.3.4 (262321) -  Second Life Viewer

Released July 25, 2012

Thanks in advance for answering my questions ;)

Hugggs Sara

Exodus is safe.

"Recently we had some user concerns regarding the safety in using the Exodus Viewer. To address this issue, we have submitted the viewer software for testing with various 3rd parties for independent review as well as getting our website evaluated for safety. So far, every evaluation we have received has rewarded us with a "100% clean" (or equivalent) status. These ratings can be viewed off the right side of our downloads page, with direct links to the websites in question, verifying the rating information." - Exodus Safety Ratings Jan 13, 2012

They are also on the Third Party Viewer Directory as well.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

The high up above the ground thingie is very easy to get to, you click a button and slide a slider.

You are using Second Life Viewer 3.3.4

Untitled

Will that setting after I am happy with the sliders keep the avatars/skins/shapes I work with above the air as I sat the heels as good as I can...Not drop me deep down again right.....But will other ppl not using this viewer or other viewers..see that as well (my settings that I am above the ground), or will they see me deep down into the ground?

I just got a nice tip of yet another viewer called: SINGULARITY  ..It also has that thing with setting hights...Seems to be so many viewers out here...

FIRESTORM and the Phoenix wievers too....

Since my computor cried over something I will try to download the SINGULARITY first and if it cries as much by trying to download that... I have to use a dize n see what one it will be ;)

Hugggs Sara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.