I've heard that there is a Second Life "Doctor of Medicine" (roleplay) degree. True?

angelpatty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 244 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A friend of mine in SL just got "pregnant" and tells me she's been getting regular "prenatal care" (this is all roleplaying, folks) from a "doctor" in Second Life.

Has anyone heard of SL Doctors, and if you have, is there a "medical school" in Second Life through which they may be certified as qualified to practice medicine in SL role play?   I, personally, am a frustrated physician - my first college major in RL was pre-medicine, and I studied biomedical engineering in RL for three years.  I've also worked in the medical support fields in various capacities almost my entire professional life in RL.  So I'd at least like to be a physician in SL.

Does anyone know how I'd go about that?

Peace, love, and thanks in advance

angelpatty

8 answers to this question

Yes Angel it is role play but your right There are places where people study and get a degree to add to the authenticity and realism of the role play. Knowing as much as you can about the role your roleplaying makes the experience better for both your self and the people interacting with you.

2 schools I know of that offer Medical training for Second Life are

Whispering Winds Medical School

Hillman University

I have a PHD from Whispering Winds, you have to pay like any University course and you have assignments, practical work and tests and final exam. It is a big committment but worth if you want to add that little extra sense of professionalism to your role play.  I do not believe doing such courses gives you everything you need to be a proficient Medical role player but it is a good place to start as both courses require internships where you can learn observing and gives you some basic medical knowledge for role playing. You learn from others and from your life experiences as well. learning from a Person who is a real life medical prefessional is great. It is all about making the SL experience realistic and rewarding.

All the best

• Like 2

Although it's all just roleplay, those in control of who uses such pregnancy systems as EDEN or Mama Alpha do require that you become "certified" to use their products regardless of the fact that you can buy them on marketplace. And in fact, must purchase said systems before you can train in how to use them.

On top of that, I'm learning that the entire roleplay has somehow become highly biased against men. I personally have been denied use of the Mama Alpha system due to my gender and am starting to wonder if that is the same thing I'm facing with the EDEN system.

Simply saying........ Think it through before you decide to use such systems for your roleplay.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, GrinderWheelwright said:

"certified" to use their products regardless of the fact that you can buy them on marketplace.

Even though this is an eleven year old thread...

You don't need to be certified to use the mama allpa products.  Not sure where you got this idea.  

Some RP communities might require you to go through training to be a physician, nurse, mid-wife, etc.   There is definitely nothing needed to simply RP these activities on your own.  

EDEN, I've never heard of aside from the Eden Valley RP group/region.  I'd imagine they want trained staff.  

The EDEN RP system also looks like something you can do on your own without 'certification'.   Seems like another BeYou or MyStory type of thing and is done by the people who also make Funsies babies.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 244 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.