Sign in to follow this  
RamonRevilla2

I've been put to administrative hold because i dispute an unauthorized payment on paypal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yesterday I was unable to log into my avatar. I tried logging on to the web and noticed that I was placed in an administrative hold. I called Linden labs, created a ticket and told me to wait because the live support cannot do anything with my current account situation. 8 hours of waiting I finally got a response and the reason was they placed me on hold because somebody have my paypal info on a different account which I disputed the payment.

They were asking me to pay them back the $29+ disputed or reverse it on paypal. It felt like I am held for ransom, but I was willing to pay it even if it was an unauthorized purchase of some hacker who managed to get my paypal info just to expedite the process of lifting my ban.

I already spent hundreds of dollars on my avatar and have no intention of putting it on jeopardy for a mere $29 usd. I told them that im willing to pay it but i never heard a response from them since.

I tried contacting paypal to reverse my dispute and I was told that the money was already put back in my bank account It can't be reverse, their advise is to send them a payment again. 

I am not familiar how long does thier support agents work on the tickets but I feel like I rather dispute all my current charges on my bank for linden labs/second life subscription and market purchases which is totalling $179+ usd and I believe my bank will do that with no questions asked. Then start a fresh avatar with no payment information on it. I've been googleing how the support of linden labs work and so far I never had any good reviews about it. In some article they said that it took them weeks or even months to resolve such cases.

Mine was simple, but it seems like nobody in their office are working on the tickets, or probably doesn't have enough man power to handle all the inquiry which concerns me because I would rather be enjoying a non premium avatar right now and use a 3rd party linden exchange system such as virwox to purchase lindens, but i need my money back.

Welcome to Second Life Forums, Ramon

I feel there is some kind of breakdown in communications on this one.

Linden Lab will place an account on administrative hold until they are absolutely sure all the details of the account holder check out properly. 

I don't quite understand the Paypal issue, but it does sound like a certain amount of account verification is in order.  You should not, however, have to be paying anyone £29+

If an account is truly hacked, and it is not just a case of someone having shared private details, such as passwords, or someone having such an easy password that it was easy for a would-be hacker to guess, it will take a little bit longer for an account to be taken off administrative hold.  This is not a sign of inefficiency on the part of Linden Lab, quite the opposite in fact. 

Thanks Devin.

I just got a new reply to from them.

2012-08-08 10:12:49
Fan Linden

Hello RamonRevilla Resident,

Thank you for your reply and for that information. In further review of this matter, you may not need to repay us as it appears the L$ from this purchase were assessed from the account it was sent to.

Can you please provide some additional information to us:

1. Please provide the names of your alternate accounts.
2. Can you please provide details regarding the use of new accounts to buy L$ then send to your main account?

The more detailed information you can provide will assist in us in a faster review and possible release of the accounts.

Thanks,
Fan Linden

I hope i would not wait another 24 hours to get another reply. Because is much easier for me to just file a chargeback on my credit card since most of my transaction was done through my credit card, and i only added my paypal as mode of backup payment.

Thank you for the update, Ramon.

I am sure your account will be up and running again as soon as possible, once Fan Linden and the people in the Support team have had sight of the requested information.

You're back inworld again already? That is good news. 

Thank you for keeping this thread updated, Ramon.  I hope your Second Life runs a little more smoothly from now on.

Anytime an account is compromised they put it on hold  for your own protection to keep fraud from reoccuring. This is a good thing and could have saved you hundreds of dollars. 

When you first noticed the unauthorized charge you should have reported it immediately to LL. They may have been able to trace the money and if it hadn't been spent yet retrieve it for you. They have a good record of doing that.   You of course could have also disputed it with PayPal, but by diputing it first and not notifying LL, then it probably was gone by the time they found out and could look into it.

Should it ever happen again, follow these guidelines in What to do if your account is compromised.  The faster you report it the more likely you will not be held responsible for any financial loss unless the person who committed the fraud was a friend you gave your password to which is against the TOS.

As far as disputing all your charges, including MP purchases, that would be penalizing those MP merchants as LL would taken the money back from them.  You got the merchandise so why would you want ot penalize innocent parties?  That would be committing fraud against the merchants who had nothing to do with the dispute IMO.

Don't think for one minute LL really cares though.

We just had one of our employees inworld have her account hacked. We know the times she is normally on and we know how she speaks. Very pleasant and reserved.

Well in the middle of the night someone logs into her account. They deleted her whole inventory, removed all her friends and groups and stole 17k+ in lindens. But before doing so sent several nasty messages to other staff members, her friends and me (her boss). These messages where nothing like the way she speaks. And they were calling us names and saying to unban a certian person and so on. This happens to be a person she banned and we filed several AR's on the week before.

She logs on in the morning to find out everything she has is gone. Then we tell her about the IM's and she litterally starts to cry (she uses voice). I told her check her account transaction history and guess what, all her money was sent to the person we banned and has been harrassing us. Brilliant move, I thought surely this is a smoking gun and this guy is toast.

We have her go through the compromised account prodedure and have her contact LL and we spoke to someone as well. She showed them the transaction and the IM's and asked for a roll back of her avatar and for them to pull the money out of this guys account and back into hers. Suddenly she gets logged out for about half an hour.

She logs back in half an hour later and says they put her account on hold until she could verify who she was, and sent her an Email saying they can find no signs that her account was compromised! So it took them what? 15 or 20 minutes to verify no one accessed her account? The did absolutely nothing for her. She didn't get back any of her inventory and certainly not her lindens.

And to top it off, this guy and his alts, which we gave them the names of and chat logs where he admitted to them being his alts are still in sl. He didn't even get banned. He is running around spending all of her money.

And no signs of compromise? Who logs into sl in the middle of the night, deletes everything they have (hundreds of vehicles costing in excess of 200,000L, clothes and avatar accesseries), removes all their friends, leaves all their groups. And then on top of it transfers all their money to an account of someone she hates, banned, muted and filed ARs on for harrassing and threats. I would think that would be enough suspision to start looking at IP adresses of who accessed her account and when.

She also informed them she wants to prosecute the person as well. At the very least he comitted wire fraud and indentity theft.

how safe does that make you feel?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2886 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.