Sign in to follow this  
Yunella

Child Avatar Role-play

Hi all!

I was hoping to maybe get a little advice from the child residents that hang around the forums. I've recently turned this avatar into a child one, I'm role-playing as a 6 year old female child but I have no real clue what I should be doing lol.

I've done the usual: gone shopping got the right clothes, shape, skins etc. Made a panel at MAW but heard nothing yet. What other things are there to do as a child avatar?

The reason I did decide to do this was because I'm interested in the whole family style RP, i.e baths, bedtime, story's, movies, tv, mealtimes etc but so far I haven't really done any of this yet while I wait to be adopted.

So any guidance, info would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Really it's all within you; not up to anyone else to tell you what you are meant to be doing.  You've created the look, registered at an adoption agency, stated what you are interested in here.

While you wait for your board at the adoption agency to generate some interest, you perhaps should look at the profiles of others who visit the place, talk to other people too.  Join child-friendly groups, explore child-friendly places, get to know the new you, and have fun!

You might find your self rethinking the whole child RP thing in the end.

The fact is it is always a touchy subject here and in world as many before you and other have taken the role play in the wrong direction.

If I had a nickel for every time I seen a 6 year old female AV in a mini skirt and high heels I own more SL islands ......

Over time some have been so bad with it many Sims ban child AVs on sight  ,also im not agreeing or disagreeing with the use or child AVs nor do I judge any one that dose use them, but you asked for advice so here is a little .

I bought a cool mesh AV teenie,its sooo cute!! Little yarn man AV!! To bad I been kicked out of many  many Sims for using it as they all think it si a child AV as it wears a little teddy bear outfit that looks like something a child would wear .... So far I have had to explain "im a yarn man...not a child :("  and the same reply  "you look to much like a child ande have rules against it"

Hello Yunella welcome to the forums.

As Marigold said it is really up to you as to what you want to do with your character. You are on the right path though, making a panel at MAW is a great start. While you wait to be adopted (if that is really what you want) you can try joining an RP school like Willowdale Elementary. You will meet a lot of other people roleplaying kids and such.

A few things I would advice you though.

1. Don't please I repeat DON'T ever use pathetic and annoying child talk (or babytalk as it is known), not only is it really annoying but it gives the perception that all child avis are that annoying. Roleplay is roleplay and "twakin wike dis" really is bad roleplay.

2. Don't wear adult clothing. Shop at child stores, like Aura's, LVL Kids, Larnia Kids among the many others there are. Make sure you wear age appropriate clothing.

3. Make sure your skin is a child skin with no makeup, it really looks bad when child avis try to wear adult skin they don't look like kids but ugly midgets.

4. Have fun! And rule of thumb is to never force your RP on anyone else. Know when to be IC and when to be OOC.

Follow those simple rules and you will have a great time.

Edit to add: Regarding the being adopted. I will tell you this...adoption agencies are the worst place to find a really good family. Most often the best families are found when you least expect them in places you least expected to find one.  Meet people, get out there and have fun, the right person will cross your path in no time.

I'll look into those places then Marigold so thanks for the help.

Maybe I will come to regret it one day lol but only time will tell, I'll give it a try and I'm not really looking to walk around non child friendly sims. The only adult places I go to would be hair stores, like Truth or Magika etc. 

So join a school, ok I'll look into that. Do you know if they cost? or any free ones/cheap ones because I'm on a pretty low budget being that I'm currently unemployed in RL. So I can't really afford to be putting money into SL very often.

Advice answers:

1. Well I wouldn't do that anyway, I saw some do it at MAW and it made me cringe, that's not adorable it's just annoying. Not cute whatsover. 

2. Clothing well currently I have stuff from Larnia, Aura's Foursquare and a bunch of other kid clothing stores, I looked in search for some and found those. Plus discovered some hunts on so did those too.

3.Skin, well my skin is from Mynerva one of the group gift ones. The child avi one so no make up or anything lol.

4. I'll keep that in mind, to be honest I'm not really being totally IC at the moment I guess I'm just going with the flow, doing normal things. I haven't really role-played anything yet.

Willowdale Elementary costs 200L per month, it is the cheapest one around that has a lot of active students. There is one free one that I know of but it doesn't have much active students maybe just a handful, so if the objective is to meet people then that would be the wrong place.

Going with the flow is good. Mainly it is all common sense, you will be fine.

There are also places like The Vortex, if you like music.

You can also go sim hopping and explore. Type keyword "kids" or "youthspot" on search and visit the places that come up.

Oh that's not so bad! I'll look into Willowdale then, I should be able to afford that xD

I'll look up the vortex and use the keywords too so thanks for that.

Just a curious question but are there like any jobs in SL that a child avatar can do, I know there are tons for a adult lol but I was wondering about kids.

That's the beauty of being a child avatar in a virtual world, you can do absolutely what you would have wanted to do when you were a child, but would have not been allowed to do in real life.

Think what you would have wanted to do when you were (whatever age you have chosen for your child avatar in SL to be) - run away with the fair? (create a fair), walk around a haunted house (find a haunted house to walk around), be locked inside a sweetshop (oh dear I haven't found a sweetshop yet :matte-motes-frown:), go on roundabouts all on your own without parents telling you "No, you can't have another go on that, you'll be sick/we'll be late back home".  Heck, you can even talk to strangers! (And at least here you can teleport away from anyone who makes you feel unhappy or uncomfortable.)

And if you want to set up a business, or roleplay sim, as many other child avatars have done, this is also possible in Second Life. Follow your instincts, and let your imagination and childhood memories take you there.

Never really learnt how to DJ but I'll look into that thanks!

Ahh I never really got the hang of creating things, I had a clothing store briefly back in 2008 but never really was very good at it lol. The only thing I was any good at was doing pictures, profile pictures and stuff. I used to work at a studio as a photographer. I enjoyed that, maybe I could look into doing that but from the kids side.

Thanks Marigold, I never thought to think of it that way lol. I'll try and remember what interested me when I was 6, it was a few years ago :P

Another thing you could do is find yourself a roleplay sim with a theme you like.

For instance, in our sim we have a weekly school, there is an orphanage where you can live, monthly kids bath hour at the swimming pool and it is a safe sim, our police and sim managers keep an eye on kids to make sure they are ok.

Yunella wrote:

I was hoping to maybe get a little advice from the child residents that hang around the forums. I've recently turned this avatar into a child one, I'm role-playing as a 6 year old female child but I have no real clue what I should be doing lol.

Welcome!

It sounds like you're on the right path. I would also suggest looking into some of the residential areas that kids frequent,  at least ot have a good hangout and meet otherss. Also, look for HardKnock Elementary this Autumn (likely next month, if I know 'em). 

Frau Jo Yardley has a great sim for the 1920s kids. There's urchins in New Babbage, etc. More explore-y minded kids should visit Escapades. The Vortex club on Whippersnapper is a great dance place, or and you'll find the headquarters for Second Life Children there, too.

Best of luck, and feel free t'say hi inworld. :-)

Well i'm trying to stay to the right path, I'm currently on trial now at MAW so that's a good step up xD

Oh where are these residential areas, are they like family homes where kids live? That sounds interesting xD

Ok HardKnock I'll look it up but like I said limited budget so if It's expensive I can't go.

Thanks for the tips on role-play locations I'll look them up as well as the clubs!

Thanks and feel free to shoot me a IM too, always happy to make new friends :D 

Hi Yunella,

Most kids like to go to amusement parks, or movies obviously, uhhh maybe the zoo, school. Just some random Ideas, Im underage (17) so I mainly stick to the amusemnt parks and school stuff... Hope this helped!

Cheers,

Dannii <3

I also just started rp as a child a few days ago. I'm playing a 5 year old girl. I started like you did. Made an adoption panel at MAW and bought a shape and  some larnia clothing.  While waiting to be adopted I looked around for an orphanage or kids dorm I could rent a room in. That way I could have a home. Renting just a normal apartment felt unrealistic but I wanted somewhere to live. I just found a little kids room for rent earlier in a house with other kids just like when foster kids get put into group homes. No grown ups around though and only 50 prims but home is home.  It's in a nice family community. I'm still hoping to be adopted but having fun right now

I also agree on the baby talk. It's awful.  My real life son is 2.5, speech delayed due to fluid in his ears and he still speaks clearly ever since he got tubes in his ears even though he got a late start talking.  No baby talk from him.  I don't think rping with baby talk is too realistic.