Sign in to follow this  
Attica Bekkers

Should i file griever reports ahead of the event?

While I agree that the lack of control on griefing is a major problem, I don't think LL will ever agree to the suggestions made here such as giving more control to anyone, sending staff to police such events or even giving priority to AR"s from the region.  If they did they would alienate a lot of other people who would rightly complain of favoritism and demand such services too, especially people that pay large sums of money for private estates.  The history of giving residents powers to manage public areas that other residents don't have has shown that it just creates different problems in the long run and a lot of resentment.

As sad as it is, the reality is that you can rarely hold an event on public LL land and not attract trouble.  I would never even consider it.  My suggestion is to seek out sponsors who own land, preferably with estate rights, willing to donate the use of it for the event and willing to either be present to control things or delegate the authority to someone they trust who can be there.  It doesn't even have to be the same sponsor and could be rotated among a number of them.  Commercial property owners may find an advantage in sponsoring it, particularly those that cater to the types of people that the event attracts.  If approached properly it could be a win-win for everyone.

Just for the duration of the event, is it possible for an Estate Manager to change the settings for the sandbox so that only people older than 30 days can attend? 

Also, rotate the people you can trust, to have one keeping an eye on the proceedings for 30 minutes each, so that the moment anyone does attempt to grief, that person can be frozen while their griefer object(s) is/are returned via the land details list, then the griefer can be ARd, ejected and banned.

Some good organisation will minimise the need for Linden Lab intervention.

Being a sandbox, I appreciate that it is usual for people with no payment information on file, and from Day 0 age are more than welcome, so after the event, just remember to change the settings back, and again, ensure Estate Managers are to hand to deal swiftly with any griefers.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Just for the duration of the event, is it possible for an Estate Manager to change the settings for the sandbox so that only people older than 30 days can attend? 

Also, rotate the people you can trust, to have one keeping an eye on the proceedings for 30 minutes each, so that the moment anyone does attempt to grief, that person can be frozen while their griefer object(s) is/are returned via the land details list, then the griefer can be ARd, ejected and banned.

Some good organisation will minimise the need for Linden Lab intervention.

Being a sandbox, I appreciate that it is usual for people with no payment information on file, and from Day 0 age are more than welcome, so after the event, just remember to change the settings back, and again, ensure Estate Managers are to hand to deal swiftly with any griefers.

Yes this is actually an option I forgot about myself. The best effective method for this is to place an object right near a landing point in the region where everyone would teleport into, and have it set to scan within 100 meters, this way any avatar that enters the region who is under 30 days old for example is kicked from the region/teleported home, and temporay banned for like 1000 minutes or something. This could help solve the disposable griefer account problem to a certain point however a lot of griefers, and CopyBot users do use Sleeper accounts which are hundreds if not thousands of days old.

The other option is to have a Bot constantly logged into the region, and using the client simwide radar detector and with estate rights to kick anyone under X number of days old from the region.

You could also use a object which scans for avatars over 100 meters and kicks them however using multiple eject objects, or probes which spawn quite aways could cause lag. In addition it might be possible to use a single megaprim, but could cause issues.

Another option is to pass out a hud which is no modify to all people who are in the region which would basically when worn detect other peoples age and work along with a scripted object tool deeded by a land owner which ejects people under avatar age, basically the hud would relay info via server to the object and kick people under 30 days old and anyone could wear it. This would solve the bot problem of having to constantly stay logged on but would only work for as long as poeple wear the hud/object.

The no payment information, and other land settings also mite help as well but could limit avatars who are legit and just have not provided payment information, although payment information is easy to verify even on a griefer account but most griefers do not do this.

Thank you both Ginette and Elfred. I understand the problem a lot better. I think Ginette makes the main point here which is prevention. Just like the way people are punished in society instead of having prevention and educate them, it seems the same upside down politics prevail on SL. Punish but don't do any prevention in RL it doesn't help society, on SL it is the same. Regular users of the sandbox are getting frustrated and the grieferd just get away with it.

I agree on two things: the name should be changed back and the managers should be able to have land control to prevent this from happening. I guess it is now up to LL to reverse it's policies but, from what I read, it is a long shot. Thanks Attica for starting this thread.