Linden Lab or Linden Labs.

Iam Runningbear

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Linden Lab or Linden Labs.

This was a recent controversy in a earlier post by what was most likely a Linden Shill.

Playing foolish games such as discounting a resident's complaint due to a spelling or mispellings is one reason why the overal numbers online has fallen so drastically.

Its just such an attitude from those at Linden LAB that cause people to say "Whats the use?" I log in, I crash. Nothing works correctly. Why bother?

But "HEY!! I can use display names to copy cat other well know avatars and cause all kinds of grief for them on the grid". "So maybe I will try to log in one more time." (Just one of the waisted resources that I can think of.)

I found that the OP in the post (Basic Functions and their consequences) did give some details. Most Specifically The BlueDog ( BlueSteel) Server. Or did I read that in there mistakenly? With the Lab/Labs controversy I think I must read it again to be certain. I for one have seen this issue many times and most significantly on the bluesteel server. With this being said. The operating system of the user is an insignificant detail and it is highly unlikely a mojority are running the same or even similar systems.

One would think the Shill's of Linden Lab/Labs would have more to say in the forums that is constructive. Instead they take the attitude of a jesture that most of the long time resident have determined to be the norm.

You evidently can read so you decide which is the correct name for the company owned by Linden Research:

http://lindenlab.com/

I might be one of the "shills" you mentioned.  In casual talk or postings Lab or Labs works.  But when someone embarks on a rant that they insist is serious and expect everyone to believe that the ranter has a clue about what they are talking about and they can't even give the correct name of the company they are ranting about......then, yeah, I do tend to discount their postings.  You want to be taken seriously and your upset about something then the very least you could do is know the company you are talking about.

So, carry one with your trolling.........this could get fun.  :)

Hardly a shill here but hey thanks for the backhanded compliment kitten =^^= My reaction was based on the OPs habit of repeatedly posting a variation of their litany of rants whenever there is a server roll but never responding to following posters questions curious as to why they can not duplicate the same problems. We all agree all is not perfection on the grid but endless repeats do tend to grind somewhat on the nerves.

And as no language could be said to be my 'first' I would be the last to cast greenhouses.

Mik

I responded to you in the other thread also, but for the record, here is the response I posted there.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Server/Basic-Functions-and-their-consequences/m-p/1622935/highlight/false#M6508

One would think an OP who claims to have as much Expertise as Lydia claims to have would  or could provide us a single shred of Data or information.  Essentially all she ever says can be summed up in this:

1.  Linden Lab sucks.

2. People are leaving in droves.

3. The Second Life Data base is a disaster.

4. Everyone's problems including hers are caused by numbers 1 and 3.

Yes, SL has problems.  None of us Including Peggy are saying it doesn't.  However, WE aren't having all the problems  Lydia is claiming to have.  Where is the Data to back up Lydia's claims?  We get Nada from her.

I despair sometimes.  Why do people have to be so destructive, just because the shop has closed for a few hours?  I mean, do you do this to your 24 hour garage too - go stick your tongue out at the other people queueing to get in and shop I mean.

All of us here on the forums/answers are just residents, exactly like you.  We have our frustrations, we have our failed log ins, but we don't throw our dollies out of the pram and blame everyone else but ourselves if it is something we can be taking responsibility for, ie our graphics card, internet connection, general maintenance of computer.

I know I shouldn't even bother to reply to an obvious troll thread such as this, and I could not care less if I am accused of being a shill/suckup/linden alt.  It's all just words with no actually meaning or foundation.

As I said in my comment to you on the other thread, this latest large spell of downtime was most likely due to security issues that could not be left until after the weekend.  The Linden employees themselves would have had to stay behind, when probably a lot of them were just looking forward to a regular weekend of spending time with their own families and hobbies. 

Try and be a bit more tolerant and understanding, and less offensive. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I call it Linden labs for 4 reasons:

1:  They have move then one physical location.

2:  All of there employees have 2 or more identities between RL and SL/SL alts.

3:  The only company I've ever worked for that had Lab in the name used "Labs" in their name not lab.

4:  I would hope that Linden Labs can run more then one experiment at a time.

This controversy was brought to you by the letter "s"

Don't let the trolls get to you is the best advice I can give you.

Whether you say Lab or Labs doesn't change your argument. If that's the best someone can come up with in retort, they are only demonstrating they have nothing of real substance to say and no real counter argument.

It's the same as when people harp on a misspelling. Most people seem to be able to understand things with a random misspelling included, so the fact they can not only points to some deficiency on their part.

Or they are just being trolls. So don't feed them. :)

Darien Caldwell wrote:

Don't let the trolls get to you is the best advice I can give you.

Whether you say Lab or Labs doesn't change your argument. If that's the best someone can come up with in retort, they are only demonstrating they have nothing of real substance to say and no real counter argument.

It's the same as when people harp on a misspelling. Most people seem to be able to understand things with a random misspelling included, so the fact they can not only points to some deficiency on their part.

Or they are just being trolls. So don't feed them.
:)

I would agree with this advice except for one thing, the person(s) he is pointing fingers at aren't trolls and he is speaking up in defense of someone who for all due and intent purposes acts like one.

Looks as if Iam hit a nerve, and brought all you out, and you showed your true colors. By the way until now I did not know this post existed, so I guess I should feel honored to see my name included in it.  The truth is it does not take much brains to tell that things went off the tracks badly last night, and that they really are not a lot better now, but then you guys will, of course deny that in this best of all possible worlds.  Now to be exact about what I think.  One Linden Labs came up with a great concept with Second Life but have not managed to sustain that promise.  I have been in second life for six years now and been highly active in the economy, and for the last year have watched as online numbers have fallen due to poor implementation of Linden additions to the grid, and the lag crashes and other problems that have accompanied them.  I have also seen an increasing unwillingness on LL's part to address or even admit these problems exist, which makes me wonder if anyone in charge cares or not.  At this point I have just about lost any trust I have in LL's ability to deal with these problems,  but have not done as others have done and decided to leave just yet.  Frankly, there is still a glimmer of hope and for several days that hope grew as we saw things improve drastically.  Last night, however, crushed much of that hope and it remains to be seen if stability will return or has been the case all too often over the last six months this is a start of another wild run of instability.  Whatever, the result I expect you all to continue to deny there is a problem and do not begrudge you that right, but I also will not refrain from complaining when I see a problem developing, until I reach the point where I like so many others give up and leave in frustration at which time you will be welcome to continue telling the world how fine things are, but until then I simply beg to differ with you.

• 10 months later...

how does LL adhase further research of ''SL'' in real depth, in depth beyond cuteness, beyond false daily transactions. Thinking steps beyond up-to-date viewer and what one would normally think. Think, as ‘’The highway ahead to cover the new area of business’’.

Long ago was the breaking point, where some companies become to play important key roles into computing, internet business in global scale and social networking. The new business success is nothing else than ‘’the global social interactive computing management’’ (mine term, no dictionary. just feel it). A new term in this new era. LL as a software company driving towards this new era, is using by so far strictly American suppliers especially software and this is quite testing the impulse of what we call ‘’global’’. (That's the opposite of…‘’local’’, if I’m not mistaken).

Virtual environments as well as social networks are most definitely most welcomed, especially amongst strong players in software technology, graphic design and many more, list of which you’ve seen before a thousand times. Its better to say rather'the 100% of the top 1000 are interested. Correct me if I'm wrong!

But this question rises up and it concerns about the future of our beloved Second Life. LL is using Atlasian and Atlasian products (exJira). Where other completion including social monsters amongst the most serious ones are using a non-Americans' company products to fulfill their drives. the company is called, Oracle, (exJava).

If then so, could Oracle be holding the key to Second Life Global Permanent State?

We, as residents, the ones that support SL, one way or the other need support in order to keep our business processes in-world running. But, to shift a humble artists community into a multimillionaire miracle, as Second Life is or better said ‘’should be, is difficult and unacceptable! If LL would like to extent and look forward, could it be wise to switch to a new cloud?

Do they even have a lab in their facility? if so, for what purpose? are they doing experiments on helpless child avs? Probing adults and cows? are they secretly in league with martians? could the  be martians in disguise? Is Perrie their secret leader?

Inquiring minds don't really give a crap....

Stavros Nadezda wrote:

how does LL adhase further research of ''SL'' in real depth, in depth beyond cuteness, beyond false daily transactions. Thinking steps beyond up-to-date viewer and what one would normally think. Think, as ‘’
The highway ahead to cover the new area of business
’’.

Long ago was the breaking point, where some companies become to play important key roles into computing, internet business in global scale and social networking. The new business success is nothing else than ‘
’the global social interactive computing management
’’ (
mine term, no dictionary. just feel it
). A new term in this new era. LL as a software company driving towards this new era, is using by so far strictly American suppliers especially software and this is quite testing the impulse of what we call ‘’global’’. (
That's the opposite of…‘’local’’, if I’m not mistaken
).

Virtual environments as well as social networks are most definitely most welcomed, especially amongst strong players in software technology, graphic design and many more, list of which you’ve seen before a thousand times. Its better to say rather
'the 100% of the top 1000 are interested
. Correct me if I'm wrong!

But this question rises up and it concerns about the future of our beloved Second Life. LL is using Atlasian and Atlasian products (exJira). Where other completion including social monsters amongst the most serious ones are using a non-Americans' company products to fulfill their drives. the company is called, Oracle, (exJava).

If then so,
could Oracle be holding the key to Second Life Global Permanent State?

We, as residents, the ones that support SL, one way or the other need support in order to keep our business processes in-world running. But, to shift a humble artists community into a multimillionaire miracle, as Second Life is or better said ‘’should be, is difficult and unacceptable! If LL would like to extent and look forward,
could it be wise to switch to a new cloud?

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say but I DO know Oracle is an American company.

Ref: Wikipedia:

"Oracle is an American multinational computer technology corporation headquartered in Redwood City, California, United States."

Edited to add:

Okay, NOW I understand. You think that Second LIfe would prosper if instead of using American companies like Atlassian (which is actually Australian - look it up) they used non-American companies like Oracle (which actually IS American.)

In other words:

HAPPY OPPOSITE DAY!!!

Stavros Nadezda wrote:

how does LL adhase further research of ''SL'' in real depth, in depth beyond cuteness, beyond false daily transactions. Thinking steps beyond up-to-date viewer and what one would normally think. Think, as ‘’
The highway ahead to cover the new area of business
’’.

Long ago was the breaking point, where some companies become to play important key roles into computing, internet business in global scale and social networking. The new business success is nothing else than ‘
’the global social interactive computing management
’’ (
mine term, no dictionary. just feel it
). A new term in this new era. LL as a software company driving towards this new era, is using by so far strictly American suppliers especially software and this is quite testing the impulse of what we call ‘’global’’. (
That's the opposite of…‘’local’’, if I’m not mistaken
).

Virtual environments as well as social networks are most definitely most welcomed, especially amongst strong players in software technology, graphic design and many more, list of which you’ve seen before a thousand times. Its better to say rather
'the 100% of the top 1000 are interested
. Correct me if I'm wrong!

If then so,
could Oracle be holding the key to Second Life Global Permanent State?

We, as residents, the ones that support SL, one way or the other need support in order to keep our business processes in-world running. But, to shift a humble artists community into a multimillionaire miracle, as Second Life is or better said ‘’should be, is difficult and unacceptable! If LL would like to extent and look forward,
could it be wise to switch to a new cloud?

Are you trying to say that in order to survive that LL needs to buy software on the "International" market, not just from American companies?  Or are you simply saying that Oracle's software would work better?

SL does use the Havok engine.  Havok was originally an Irish company ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_%28software%29 ) that was bought later on by Intel, an American based Multi-National company ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Corporation ).

Dear Theresa Tennyson,

A very good point for discussion, ‘’who is who, in real life’’. You can take the ‘registered addresses’ or the address of the initial foundation location of a company and say this is an American or non-American company. Or, you can take the variety of BoD Nationalities and combined with the registered addresses, decide if this is an American or non-American. Or, you can go in an even deeper management and see where the money goes and to whom the money is given, and only then decide a company’s a nationality.

But the subject is not about Oracles Nationality, nor AtlasSian. I beg your pardon if I got the nationalities opo-mixed. I would go for a deeper analysis of this but this is not our subject, so I have my conclusions that, ‘O’ is not, and ‘A’ is, American. You say, ‘O’ is American, and ‘A’ is Australian. Ok? Let’s keep this.

So, yes! I think that ‘O’ could play part in healing LL’s bad name in the global market, and help do their business better. LL’s huge implementation and contribution in computer technology (not only referring to SL) is questioned. Questioned by ‘the residents’,’ by the professionals’,’ by an influential global criticism’, questioned…in global scale…LL is constantly questioned. Don't you want to know why? Don't you want to fix this? As by today, LL does not own this intelligence? For outsiders it seems that LL does not care!  LL does not know who is who in the game. And ‘we’ don't know what the game wants from us. LL never gave a purpose.

But it comes to a point where money is needed (let’s say a 7zero figure in US$) in order to keep playing the game and be a leader in it in a global scale. How could LL make anybody to be interested in investing a 7zero figure in a project that most of the opinions are negative? How can one help LL take SL to the next step? ‘’The Global Permanent State’’ well! Its impossible to do it without Intel (I hope you agree on that). From now little see SL active in 10years time. It is more likely to ‘shrink’ into a graphic designer’s community.

‘O’ has a system to manipulate huge amounts of information ‘not just issue tracking’. ‘O’ is using ‘A’s’ stuff to do some tracking but this is only a small % to what ‘O's’ product package has to offer. LL can still use havok and keep play with viewer’s updates and developing new applications and debugging more semantic stuff in order to make the game better.

BuT I think that LL need a BOOST. If you disagree on ‘O’s’ products. then what do you think would be the most preferable to create a Global online fingerprint of SL? Do you have the answers?

‘’Adittion to Previus state’’LL has so far created an Egocentric, Cheep Consuming, Narrow Thinking Environment! [PS:Not me put down the words] The law applies for the Governor to take measures in Order to ensure future wellbeing in-world on behalf of all .incs .ltds. s.p.a.s .o.O.o.s ect ect ect,. Real-time assurance of up-dates of every aspect. Solutions like ‘’Creating Linden Labs to avoid taxes’’ and in general looking at it only from the owners wellbeing perspective, is not vital, not today! In fact one would expect that .inc to do as better possible as possible in all fields! I know, LL thinks money is not Enough to build a super computer(prefers to stay with Atlas-Assian or whatever their name is)! And of course Governor Linden would<Never<00.00<Ever<<00.00IllLetHishighgness be a fractal of a bigger host! Og no!

But my, question is, why not? And why, not sit Down as a community we should come out and discuss the ‘O’s’s or any other ‘O’s’s assistance?<(could be E-Bay)Could be else bigger than LL. Could be Google!

PS: Theresa Tennyson, advise me ‘’How and IF it worth an idea shared with others in the community, this idea name would be similar to ‘’I resident, want my avatar to worth a real-time heartbeat of floating measures (! £&$%^*”ect),in 50 or 100 years’ time’’ how to get that fortune.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3916 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.