Offensive Sim Name

CallMeChuckles

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

One day while exploring SL and looking for an African American skin for an avatar of mine, I happened across a a sim with a blatant racial slur in the begining of its two word name. I was wondering if there was a way to report this to possibly get it changed as there is no reason to name a sim this. 

If you can go to it to find out who the estate owner is, then yes you can AR that person, however, it may do little good.  When you buy a sim you have to give LL the name of it as there is no way to change it yourself.  So presumably LL would have seen the name and allowed it.  It could be that the Linden who set up the sim didn't realize it was a slur though. If you find it offensive there are probably other's that do too, so its worth a shot.  I would be sure to say why it is offensive though not just that it is. If an AR doesn't work then you could always write a letter to the CEO about it. 

LL doesn't care about racial slurs or people posing as RL famous people.

I've seen people with ethnic slurs as their names and I don't mean their display name, "I won't repeat the slur resident"

I've seen a dozen justin biebers, lady gaga and even the chairman of the federal reserve of the unided states of america.

Yet there are rules against this kind of thing last I was aware and sending an AR is as useful as trying to take out a tank with a spit ball.

I own a full region and a homestead here in SL, I would like to clarify the issue on sim names. While it is true that upon purchase of a sim you have to name said sim and that name cannot be changed unless the sim owner pays to have it changed (There is a US$50 charge to rename a Private Region.)

However, I will add something that is more important, a sim basically has 2 names, one which is given to LL at time of purchase, and is the name which the land is billed under, and is the one which cannot be changed without paying the above mentioned fee. The second name is VERY EASILY changed under the "About Land" options, and is also the predominate name that will show up in searches and so on.

For example: My sim was named SWRP upon purchase. When searched, it can be found under that name in the secondary position. The advertised name of the sim is (Unofficial) Secret World Roleplay, and is the predominate name for the sim.

So in short, it is NOT necessarily something that LL has turned a blind eye to, in fact  it is highly doubtful that is the case. More likely, some individual went into the about land options and changed the advertised name. In which case, they should be AR'd (Found under "help" in your viewer as "Report Abuse") and it will probably take some time, but I am sure it will get looked into. *I suggest you file the report from that sim, for proof and details for LL to more easily look into.

(Hope this information helps)

If you're talking about the actual region name and not a parcel name, i doubt they will change it since they approved it. And changing a sim name is a HUGE process for merchants and if SL approved it, there will be some serious issues with that. However, why don't you just not go there if it offends you? I never did understand why if someone is offended they can't just NOT use that service.

• 2 months later...

Deja Letov wrote:

If you're talking about the actual region name and not a parcel name, i doubt they will change it since they approved it. And changing a sim name is a HUGE process for merchants and if SL approved it, there will be some serious issues with that. However, why don't you just not go there if it offends you? I never did understand why if someone is offended they can't just NOT use that service.

Because racists have no business being on this planet. Stamp em out anywhere you find them. Force them to take it out of the public eye.

AR the place, and see how it gets resolved.

No one has any legitimate reason for using a racist name in the first place.

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.