Anyone using virtual reality Head Mounted Displays or plain HMD?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know there are these things out there, SL viewer has support for inputs and maybe someone has worked on accelerometers? Or any kind of neat experinces, bad experiences or useless feelings with HMD?

I already know there is the new sony offering, plus I have heard about the Oculus Rift. But, really. I am not sure what else anyone has used and if anyone has hooked up controls of some sort to SL that works with this. But any experiences or knowledge about this stuff is what this post if for.

I love the idea, I look in to it ever few years to see if it's affordable yet and if the image quality has improved, I all so would need one that has focuses adjustment for each eye. It's been a while since I last look know idea of what's currently out there or if it's working with SL.  I spend a lot of time in SL, so wondering how bad they are on your eyes for long term use.

I tried it a few years ago.  I bought the Vuzix headset for 800$ after verifying 3 times that it would work with second life.  The end results -- it displayed SL, yes.  But unless the game was written to use DirectX, the drivers for the stereographic glasses wouldn't shift viewpoints for the eyes.  Thus ALL openGL games and programs worked, but were NOT stereographic. 

Also, the head tracking was based on a magnetometer sensing the north pole of the Earth.  After a time, You were not facing forward anymore as the errors of the tracking system accumulated.  And the resolution -- 800x600 made it impossible to read anything in inventory or any IMs. 

one day, a VR headset will be out that will be worth looking into.  But I'm going to save my cash until others report it working well for them.  I've already bled enough on the cutting edge of tech and don't wish to bleed anymore.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4273 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.