Unscheduled Maintenance

Ayesha Askham

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Unscheduled Grid Maintenance

Posted by Status Desk on August 3rd, 2012 at 10:29 am PDT

[Posted 10:25am PDT, 03 August 2012] We will be performing restarts for regions beginning shortly. Please save all   builds and refrain from  rezzing no copy objects or making inworld L$   transactions at that time. Please watch this blog for further updates.

Does anyone know what is being "maintained" and which regions?

Then this:

Unscheduled Grid Maintenance

Posted by Status Desk on August 3rd, 2012 at 01:04 pm PDT

[Posted 1:00pm PDT, 03 August 2012] We will be performing restarts for some regions beginning shortly. Please save all builds and refrain from rezzing no copy objects or making inworld L$ transactions at that time. Please watch this blog for further updates.

Now you see it, now you don't.

Good point about the shining project I can see how that might cause some issues while moving things, but I'd like to think they know when they are going to move some thing lol :) 

I just got this notice when trying to log in

"We are sorry, Linden Lab has discovered degraded performance on your connection to the region you will need to restart Second Life and log in to a new region for the next 30 minutes to an hour. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Not sure if it's related, I've been seeing that on and off for the last month or so, normally I don't think the time is as long, so the moving for shining project might explain the longer time, half an hou to anhour is a lot longer then is needed for a normal restart.

@phaedra

No that message usually accompanies a "Bake Fail" or Asset retrieval failure (skin, shape or clothing, usually all of them) and is getting quite common in SL of late.  My partner was plagued by it for a couple of weeks recently.  Her connection and computer are virtually identical to mine so why it picked her I know not, but it may have had something to do with whatever server cluster her assets were stored on (she lives on the same LeTigre Homestead as me).

That is one of the things that ought to improve with the co-location movements.

I have no issue with Linden Lab doing these things...it's their secretive, almost "furtive" attitude that gets me. 

And No, I do not accept that such information is "commercially sensitive" and cannot be disclosed.

Now we are hearing that regions will be down form up to 5 hours, and still no reason.  It is no wonder that businesses are leaving sl in droves and new players are not coming in if this is the kind of service they get.  All that is needed is for LL to for once tell us what is going on, what has happened, what they are trying to do and what we can expect.  This utter lack of information though drives players away and slowly but surely is kill sl.  For once LL needs to listen and practice the transparency expected of them rather than hide behing a screen of excuses and spin that does nothing but raise player suspicions higher and lower overall respect for both LL intentions and ability.

I just saw that, I was unable to log in for an hour earlier but I'm in now (crosses fingers) Better communication would go a long way to improve LL's image.  5 hours of down time this late in the day suggest to me they changed some thing and had a problem with it, and had to go back and redo it again.

OK

So; our LeTigre sim was restarted so that rules out the "Only Main Server" theory.  However, if this is supposed to be an improvement my name is Ton van der Kleij (and it isn't by the way).

Sim ping is up by 50% from 120ms to 180ms, and I will see what packet loss evens out at.  TD seems fine at 0.999, but I am utterly mystified.  My normal packet loss is 0, since I have a good ISP and computer.  I know that is no guarantee, but this is a little strange.

I have also had one aprupt disconnect from the sim today, so I am not sanguine about my SL currently.

An explanatory post from the Lab would be good, but I don't suppose we will see one before Monday morning PST now.:smileysad:

Edit Sunday evening 3:30pm SLT:

Despite the higher sim ping, the new sim seems to be fine and my packet loss is stuck stubbornly at 0, so my fears were unjustified.  I'd still like to know what was done and why, without Lindens breaking any vows of secrecy.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.