Hmmm

CindyWho183

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This seems extreamly odd... when I sign into Second Life, minutes or seconds later it signs me out and it goes to mini pop-up window with "second life crash launcher" I keep crashing and this has been going on for around 2 to maybe 3 days. I don't know if I should unistall my second life viewer then re install? or maybe it's the game. But is anyone else expierencing these problems?

CindyWho183 wrote:

This seems extreamly odd... when I sign into Second Life, minutes or seconds later it signs me out and it goes to mini pop-up window with "second life crash launcher" I keep crashing and this has been going on for around 2 to maybe 3 days. I don't know if I should unistall my second life viewer then re install? or maybe it's the game. But is anyone else expierencing these problems?

Check your connection, as it sounds like this may be your problem.  Unplug your modem for a few minutes to reset it. Uninstalling and reinstalling is something I rarely feel the need to do, and do not advise it in your situation.

Ok so now when I try to reinstall. I have "Can't write: C: \Program Files (x86)\SecondLifeViewer\app_settings\static_ir"

I have done these things..

• unistalled second life and start with new viewer...
  • deleted programs that was no longer needed (might be my megabytes)
  • deleted trash, cache on second life browser... 
  • cleaned out my history and cookies... 

I don't know what much there is to do. But now that it says it's completely installed things don't load... and if they do they're slow when I use the beta viewer.

I don't understand your message.  If you get a message "Can't write..."  the install has failed.. I am guessing that you then tried an install of the beta viewer, which succeeded and  did not crash on start, but was extremely slow.   

Extremely slow points to a problem with your internet connection.    

Be sure you are not using Wi-Fi.  It drops data. 

You can check your speed -- Google on bandwidth and you can find sites that will let you see if  your ISP is giving you the service you are paying for.  

You can reboot your internet connection.  Disconnect your modem and leave it off for about 15 mins, then reconnect it.  That may get you a better connection.

You can check your graphics driver.  Go to the vendor's website and look for a download option.  (Never let Microsoft update your graphics driver.)

You can try the phoenix viewer.  It sometimes works when others do not.  

The "Can't write.." message suggests that you did not succeed in removing the files that are stored in a hidden place (on Windows).  The Beta viewer would install in a separate directory and not be bothered by the previous installation.  Since it is working (sort of), you will probably want to work with it, so you can ignore the old install for now.     

TKR

Hello again, Cindy

I don't really understand why you decided to uninstall the viewer at all.  It would have been far simpler to have at least tested what I suggested, to unplug your modem for a few minutes.

Also, it probably would be useful if you would post your computer specifications here.  If it isn't your connection, then it could well be your type of graphics card. 

I would always recommend starting with the simpler, more common fixes to common problems, and work up to major things like uninstalling and reinstalling.  

Marigold... I have turned my modem off for a few minutes and replugged it back in. I don't believe it's my connection. I went from everything working properly to everything not loading at all...

:( I don't understand what you mean with them the firestorm.. I searched it in my tools.. I don't have firestorm or whatever. I've checked my delete/remove programs in my control panel. Nothing is working, I'm not familiar with these things. I don't worry about them... I come on here to enjoy second life and that is it.

Hello again, Cindy.

Thank you for providing a screenshot.

I am thinking more and more it is your graphics card. Going back to my earliest months in Second Life, I used to get textures not loading, and sudden crashes, with the very same crash logger message you are getting.

Please add your system specifications to your thread, and we'll take a look and see what we can do to get you running properly. 

I smiled when I read your last comment - about coming on here to enjoy Second Life - that's how it should be. I wrote someting similar on a JIRA (bug report), got very frustrated at not being able to log in at one time, because of a bug in the system.

Maybe you just need to update your graphics drivers, maybe it is the card itself that is struggling with SL, but the system specifications will give us more to go on.

I believe it was Thinkerer who mentioned Firestorm, or gave a link to Firestorm/Phoenix.  Firestorm and Phoenix are just alternative viewers.  Approved Third Party Viewers.  Because we all have different computer set-ups, or take part in different activities in Second Life, we sometimes try out different viewers.  If you are happy with the Second Life official viewer, there is no reason to diversify.

Over the years, as more features have been added, some graphics cards have struggled, hence why some viewers will work ok, while some viewers, including the Second Life official viewer, will struggle or not work at all.

Someone else with a similar issue to yourself - more and more I believe it is a problem with your graphics card

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/viewer-issues/m-p/1621555/highlight/false#M15534

There will probably be some answers come up on the other thread that will apply to your current problem too, so I'd advise you keep an eye on that one as well as your own. 

Heaven forbid that it is the SL program that may be bugged or much less the core server, that simply will not do, and the slightest suggestion that this must be the case will drive the Spin Police crazy as we have seen.  At the moment Sl is having problems and they may well be effecting logins and causing all kinds of misleading log in messages to be sent out, they also seem to be effecting ports and the map as well as possibly search on SL viewer and its clones, ie third party viewers. It would be much more productive if LL would admit these problems and stop the game of blaming connections, our computers and now our graphics cards, but that is not likely to happen and the result will be more and more player distrust and more and more migrations out of SL, and in the end Linden Labs will have no one to blame but themselves.

Lydia Craig wrote:

Heaven forbid that it is the SL program that may be bugged or much less the core server, that simply will not do, and the slightest suggestion that this must be the case will drive the Spin Police crazy as we have seen.  At the moment Sl is having problems and they may well be effecting logins and causing all kinds of misleading log in messages to be sent out, they also seem to be effecting ports and the map as well as possibly search on SL viewer and its clones, ie third party viewers. It would be much more productive if LL would admit these problems and stop the game of blaming connections, our computers and now our graphics cards, but that is not likely to happen and the result will be more and more player distrust and more and more migrations out of SL, and in the end Linden Labs will have no one to blame but themselves.

Ah, but what if the 'Spin Police' all join the Bitter Brigade and then how quickly will the residents seeking practical help run out of the doors and off to WoW etc?

SL is being flakey enough to warrant emergency deploys in this moment, with some sims unlikely to be brought back to life for five hours.  Oh hell, the sky is falling in, the sky is falling in.

And yet, strangely, I have been managing to teleport around the mainland for the past four hours with only one sudden log out, and one "unable to teleport" message.

Second Life is not perfect. It's never going to be.  Real life isn't perfect. It's never going to be.  It's all evolutionary.

If you feel so much contempt against LL and the 'Spin Police' (whoever they may be), why are you still persevering with it?

Maybe misery does love company after all.

Lydia Craig wrote:

Not once did ONE of us ever say that LL and SL do not have problems.  But you are the ONE who keeps spinning that all the problems (imagined or real) are caused by LL.  But as far as Spin goes, you have never posted one iota of data. Nothing. Zero. Zilch. So really now, who is the spin doctor here?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.