Magic box question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Darren Scorpio wrote:

In my experience after 100 you start getting problems. However magic boxes will stop working in October and will be permanently replaced by Direct Delivery.

Unless this lil problem doesn't get worked out by then:

Limited Quantity Support (Merchant does not have rights to copy the items for sale): This is currently being worked on. Magic Box migration will not be required until this is supported. (Note that Merchants can sell items that have next owner rights set to “No Copy”.)

From the July 31, 2012 update by Commerce Team Linden

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Marketplace-and-Direct-Delivery-Update/td-p/1462915

Catherine Deerhunter wrote:

sorry if this is the wrong place but i was wondering how many items can go in one magic box?

Back when i was using magic boxes, I capped it at around 60 because after that I noticed it was slow delivering or not delivering at all. But now that magic boxes are obsolete I wouldn't even bother and I'd just stick with the merchant outbox, cause you'll just end up converting it anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Are magic boxes obsolete?

I think in order for that to be true, direct delivery would have to work as well. Or better. And it doesn't.

So far, DD seems obsolete before it even gets released.

Something about over a year in development without any real progress....if this was a space shuttle program it would have already been scrapped.

Dirtnap Mumfuzz wrote:

Something about over a year in development without any real progress....if this was a space shuttle program it would have already been scrapped.

Without progress?  DD has been in place for several months now and works just fine. 

The limited quantity issue is the biggest problem preventing merchants from migrating to DD, otherwise there are no real compelling reasons NOT to migrate to DD if not already done so.

I disagree.

This is not what I call progress, though under the circumstances I can see why most people do.

I read many compelling reasons not to play the DD game yet, and feel pity for those who have been made to think they should be grateful to field-test the system, not only without pay but with penalties and surcharges.

The trained professionals who reputably break things that don't need fixing say only one in ten problems is a problem, and you believe them??

How you gonna release your product to millions of potential users (STEAM) when you can't even get the market place working right for the ones using it now?

No IT department in the world could under-perform at such a level and still have jobs.

This whole smoke-and-mirrors shell game is like watching CALTRANS do roadwork to the same 1/4 mile of freeway for two years.

How ironic that LL is HQ'ed in Oakland!

Anyone who has ever been there can understand that this company performs according to its environmental factors.

DD was supposed to be working just fine on the test grid, and ready for roll out. Last fall, if I forget correctly.

So what happened, something unexpected? Imagine that.

I see a long list of issues that have been shoved to the back burner which are going to probably become major show stoppers in their own right.

The next threads we will see are the ones complaining about all the other problems kicked under the carpet to rush a broken system into place.

Just like we have been watching all year long.

Just like with so many other problems given the same amount of TLC.

Just because LL says 'this is not a priority for us to fix now' does not mean it will not become a priority problem next.

In fact, LL choosing to fix this and not that that has been the rule, not the exception, which has created and/or contributed to massive failures, down times, system crashes...why would anyone take their 'oh that's no big deal' solution to things, knowing what that ultimately means?

I am not the one who needs to be convinced that this is an improvement.

I already know it's a bad joke played on all of the community.

Dirtnap Mumfuzz wrote:

Are magic boxes obsolete?

I think in order for that to be true, direct delivery would have to work as well. Or better. And it doesn't.

So far, DD seems obsolete before it even gets released.

I'm not sure I understand this statement. I've been on DD since the first week it launched (which I think was maybe in march) and it's working perfect. My orders are now actually being delivered consistently, where with magic boxes, I was getting failed deliveries almost daily.  How exactly is this not working? And it's already released so how is it obsolete before it's released. I think pretty much everything you've said is exactly opposite...it's much better than a magic box, works faster, more reliable, no more taking up prims on my land for stupid boxes, no more having to sync them, etc. it's definitely not perfect but I see it as a HUGE improvement over the old magic boxes. Failed deliveries being the number one thing it fixed for me.

Dirtnap Mumfuzz wrote:

I read many compelling reasons not to play the DD game yet 

DD was supposed to be working just fine on the test grid, and ready for roll out. Last fall, if I forget correctly.

I see a long list of issues that have been shoved to the back burner which are going to probably become major show stoppers in their own right.

The next threads we will see are the ones complaining about all the other problems kicked under the carpet to rush a broken system into place.

I think you're actually behind the times by about 5 months.

I'd be curious as to what the "many reasons" not to migrate to DD are?

DD rolled out way back in Spring and does work.  There WERE some key issues but most have been dispensed with, there remains some stupid ones like WEB-4587 but that doesn't actually relate to DD but more about the period of migration from Xstreetsl.

We're NOT going to see a new batch of showstoppers, nor are the NEXT threads to be ones complaining about problems.  All that happened back in March.

I'm not going to argue about the project management and execution but as far as DD goes, it is working and the problems that did crop up have mainly gone, there are specific cases where DD isn't handling items such as limited quantity but beyond that, I can't think of reasons where if there is a choice, one shouldn't migrate to DD.

To be honest I never experienced a delivery failure until DD was released. Don't really remember reading about that many either.

So yes I admit I am behind the times, and still use a working system declared obsolete by a system that can't stand on its own feet. Yet.

But to be fair, I am only going on the reports and indications being stated here by others.

Though I also admit I don't check here regularly; that would suggest there was something worth checking, and it's mostly petty drivel.

I've read the JIRA that runs more like an environmental impact report mated to a scifi book series, and have gleaned various posts by people theatening lawsuits and commiting suicide over the whole thing (which seemed to be working already via MB, despite costing a prim for a box) and I confess I did not become one of them no matter how much fun it looked like.

My two prims worth of magic boxes are completyely breaking the bank, I have not shared in the joys of not having full control over my designs, having innacurate images appear, or being denied the ability to sell something due to perms bugs just to name a few of the time wasting hiccups not worth the brain tumor.

I also haven't had the privilege of recreating all of my listings. Yet.

I do look forward to it though, from what I hear it's all the rage.

Sucks to be me obviously. Like so many other fads I have missed out on, all the hours of my life not wasted on it so far must mean I am po-dunk.

Guess I'll have to finally figure it out in October when the bugs are supposedly all gone. I mean if.

xstreetsl? xD no really.

I also don't believe in manbearpig.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Dirtnap Mumfuzz wrote:

How ironic that LL is HQ'ed in Oakland!

Linden Lab Headquarters

945 Battery Street

San Francisco, CA 94111

Oops, ya got me; thirty minutes across the bay by Blue & Gold fleet or 10 minutes by BART.

I stand corrected; not in Oakland. Next door to Oakland.

You can has donut.

• 5 weeks later...

OOps Forgot all about these forums. Again  
xD

Sassy Romano wrote:

I think you're actually behind the times by about 5 months.

I'd be curious as to what the "many reasons" not to migrate to DD are?

DD rolled out way back in Spring and does work.  There WERE some key issues but most have been dispensed with, there remains some stupid ones like WEB-4587 but that doesn't actually relate to DD but more about the period of migration from Xstreetsl.

We're NOT going to see a new batch of showstoppers, nor are the NEXT threads to be ones complaining about problems.  All that happened back in March.

I can't think of reasons where if there is a choice, one shouldn't migrate to DD.

I can think of a really great fresh new one.

I really do love sharing these Miss Cleo moments, though I get the feeling I am jumping in the other direction, which might explain why you are getting the impression of a five month regression.

You are right though, we won't see a batch of showstoppers. Just one.

Deja Letov wrote:

How exactly is this not working? And it's already released so how is it obsolete before it's released. I think pretty much everything you've said is exactly opposite...it's much better than a magic box, works faster, more reliable, no more taking up prims on my land for stupid boxes, no more having to sync them, etc. it's definitely not perfect but I see it as a HUGE improvement over the old magic boxes. Failed deliveries being the number one thing it fixed for me.

With the latest announcement of an indefinite final migration, I feel pretty confident on wagering that something must not be working.

Otherwise there would be no more delays, The DD exodus would be occuring and magic boxes would be disco'ed in ten more days instead of postponed TFN. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that it's working out for you, but I get the impression the majority do not share the enthusiasm. Or results.

Something that has so many problems that it does not ever get fully released..I call that not working.

Something that malfunctions worse than what it is supposed to replace before it can be implemented...I call that obsolete before it is released.

Come on, meet me halfway and admit that If it were truly any better, then it would be sufficiently functional to at least reliably serve the majority of users.

Anything by any company that exhibits so many widespread problems and failed release dates -and ultimately gets back-burnered till further notice- Well we used to call that Dead on Arrival. Anymore we just consider it business as usual.

I will venture in parting that indefinitely postponing mandatory migration is one of the more mature decisions the Labs has made in a while.

ttfn!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.