Possible new Laptop advice?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi There, I am thinking of purchasing this HP laptop tomorrow specifically for SL and multitasking..  Would appreciate any opinions, advise etc.  Here are the specs:

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Select Edition Entertainment Notebook PC

C0L25AV

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • 2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB of dedicated video memory
  • 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
  • FREE Upgrade to 750GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
  • NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
  • No additional security software
  • 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - Up to 6.0 hours of battery life +++
  • 15.6-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1366x768)
  • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
  • HP TrueVision HD Webcam
  • 802.11b/g/n WLAN
  • Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad
  • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Will it run SL?  It should. 

It isn't going to run ultra high settings.  Probably best to stick with medium settings where you should get okay fps in moderately busy areas.   Or start with low settings and tweak up in areas that matter to you.  For example if you are primarily in clubs you don't need 128m draw distance, but you might want good resolution on other avis.

Your processor and graphics are so far in advance of my aging desktop I'm too embarassed to even give the specs, and I get by in SL almost trouble free. I can't take the fabulous pictures I see other places (as anyone who has visited my flickr pages can attest) but I still catch the moment now and then even at my humble settings and I still have tons of fun and am seldom bothered by excessive lag or crashiness.

I'd take that laptop in a heartbeat although I'd want to use the VGA connector and a larger monitor when I was home.

I have a slower desktop computer with an older video card. I can run ultra just fine. My bottleneck is bandwidth. You should be able to run in ultra just fine but since it's a laptop you may have heat issues. I would get a cooling pad with fans.

VRprofessor wrote:

Will it run SL?  It should. 

It isn't going to run ultra high settings.  Probably best to stick with medium settings where you should get okay fps in moderately busy areas.   Or start with low settings and tweak up in areas that matter to you.  For example if you are primarily in clubs you don't need 128m draw distance, but you might want good resolution on other avis.

VRP, realy ? maybe you need help with configuring your pc, because I have an I5 8GB ram, and an aging ATI HD5750 1Gb DDR3 Video cards and I run with full ultra graphics and I get 40-60FPS inworld.

To Answer the original Question, taht computer will run Sl just fine, you will experience "hiccups, pauses ect" if you use it while on the wireless, and that is just a fact of life Sl != WIFI. period.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4276 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.