Scripting a floating prim?

BlackHeaven1983

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I'm fairly new to SL and building....Now I'm starting to learn scripting, but I don't know most of the techinical terms which makes things hard to look up.  I really want to create a basic hud that lets me create a prim at an x, y, z location.  In other words, Something that will let me create a platform in air without having to start on the ground. 

I've searched this forum and alot of sites and can't find anything related....maybe i'm just using the wrong search terms.  If anyone could point me in the right direction of a tutorial, that would be great.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

P.S. I've seen some builder huds on the marketplace that allow you to do this, so I know it should be possible, but I want to learn how to script it myself.  I want to become a good builder, and scripting is a part of that.  I already have RL experience with scripting using some C++ and PHP.

The script reference is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:LSL_Functions

You may specifically want to look up llRezObject() and llRezAtRoot(). Both can only rez objects within a 10m radius, so you'd need to script the rezzed object to move to its final destination. The destination can be encoded into the parameter that's passed by the rez function.

And once you have rezzed the object, move it to the desired spot with llSetRegionPos.  Unless you feel like chasing your building platform up to wherever you send it, I'd suggest scripting it to make that jump only after you have sat on it.  That way, you will ride it up to its destination.   You'll want to build that part of your script around a simple sit teleporter.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4288 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.