An advice from Mac users: Lion or not Lion?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, the new OS X Mountain Lion is released. I didn't upgrade to Lion last year being unsure it would run SL without bugs. So my question is: should I upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion? (*roars*, lol) Is this upgrade of any interest regarding SL? I'd love to have your advice before spending 15,99 Euros (which represent an average meal for two at Mc Donalds :D)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had no problems with the new MacBook Pro 15" (non retina) running Lion in terms of running Firestorm and LL viewers in ultra rather than low/mid mode. I am finding all viewers much more stable and reliable. From the performance issue I have been delighted. Some software e.g. rosetta based has died now and I will have to upgrade parallels for instance.I am avoiding the Retina model because of the very very limited for upgrading and I cannot afford to throw away a laptop when I want a larger hardrive etc. I have had fewer compatibility with CS3 than I had expected ( I really really do not wish to throw away perfectly good software).

Not having a CD disks for Lion is a nighmare not the ability to readilty create one. You cannot use an older operating system than the date of the new machine, which is a pain. Forget sticking to snow leopard for instance. On my broadband I can easily spend hours downloading.  If you are using it for development work like building a new viewer can be a nightmare due to restriction on using 32bit libraries etc requiring a lot of set up work and the new xcode etc etc. .With mountain lion I think that will no longer support many earlier Macs anymore.

Thank you Tom and Maddy.

OK guys, as I am running on an iMac quadricore - only one year old - (and still have the installations DVDs), I think giving a try to this new big cat cannot hurt.

(Maddy, I can see you are stil talking about hair since yesterday which worries me bit. Did you spit it all? :P)

I don't know which surprised me more, that commas are not typos in foreign currency or that they have McDonald's in France. That may explain the delicious French Fries.

Anyways, here is a recent ongoing thread discussing SL and Mountain Lion.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Does-SL-run-on-Mountain-Lion/m-p/1612713

Lion is great and Mountain Lion is faster.  Just upgraded on Wed on a new Pro I picked up.   It took about 3 hours to download and installed flawlessly.   However I've read some people had issues.  I did a search on "mountain lion install issues" to see what peopel were experiencing but none of these happened to me.

I did quit all apps but not sure its necessary as it will close what's necessary when done.  I personally would not run a heavy app like SL while downloading.

It does go to white screen for quite a while after down load about 10 mins or less then rebooted and came right up.

And, it's quick!  Much faster than Lion.

I'm not sure this is an issue yet but I noticed on Firestorm i had no ability to talk using voice on SL.  I'm going to try a different viewer and see if its jsut Firestorm.

Best of luck wiht it.  I love it!

So we can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion? I still  haven't upgraded to Lion o.O.

Also, I quickly glanced at the price, and it's only about...$20 for the upgrade? :o

Well that's a big improvement over the days when it would cost $100 to upgrade, woot!

I was on Lion so didnt look this up before upgrading so I didnt reserach this question.   According to MacWorld written in June so not sure how accurate.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165460/mountain_lion_what_you_need_to_know.html

Will I need to be running Lion to upgrade to Mountain Lion, or can I upgrade straight from Snow Leopard?

According to the information Apple has provided with the developer preview, you need to be running at least the latest version of Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) to install Mountain Lion.

Good luck with it.   Your braver then me running SL at the same time :).

I forgot to mention once I downloaded it,  I still had other software updates to do.   So you might check software updates once your all done.

By the way been running in Ultra mode now non-stop even on busy sims :)

Tracy Redangel wrote:

So we can upgrade directly from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion? I still  haven't upgraded to Lion
o.O

Also, I quickly glanced at the price, and it's only about...$20 for the upgrade?
:o

Well that's a big improvement over the days when it would cost $100 to upgrade, woot!

Yep, I upgraded one iMac directly from Snow Leopard. The $20 gets you a license to upgrade five (I think) computers. I upgraded all mine from the same single purchase.

OK so here's the feeback. The install took approximately 3 hours (I woke up in the middle of the night to check it out, lol). It is indeed faster and running perfectly smoothly. Didn't have time to go deep into the new features, but sounds promising.

As for SL, I haven't noticed any signficant difference. V3 is running fine just as it did on Snow Leopard: not faster nor slower. BUT I have a major issue: although I hear all the ambiant sounds, I have no music at all, no matter how I toggle or reset my sound preferences.

Anybody has a tip for fixing this? Thanks again to you all!

After rebooting voice started working and music is working.   I upgraded another MAC and remembered both upgrades

required a java update.   I think but can't remember for sure that voice and music require java to be updated.

Everything is working now.  Perhaps Java.   Good luck!

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167855/installing_mountain_lion_what_you_need_to_know.html

Screen Shot 2012-07-29 at 10.24.05 AM.png

OMG Neal!!!! You're gonna die laughing, you'll never guess what: my partner came while I was offline and had just turn off the radio! LOL!!!! I only just noticed, lmao! Woohoo, everything works just great (despite the fact that now I really made a fool of myself!) :D:D:D THANK YOU!!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4228 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.