Jump to content

Magic Box Update!


Czari Zenovka
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Marketplace-and-Direct-Delivery-Update/m-p/1562745#M25446

We have extended the Magic Box migration to October 1, 2012 and will be providing a more complete Marketplace/Direct Delivery update within the next couple of weeks.

We’d like to remind those of you who see any issues to please file a JIRA or contact support with your issue so we can confirm and address any problems.

####

Ok, so does that mean to file *another* jira/contact support if the issue that I contacted them about 4 months ago is still there???

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And they just keep pushing the drop dead date back further, and for what?  They can't get the merchant permission issue fixed so that the breedables merchants can use Direct Delivery?  From what I'm reading and understanding, all failed deliveries are with the magic boxes and not the Direct Delivery system.  I have been 100% Direct Delivery since it went live and I've had no failed deliveries since then.  In fact, my sales have been great too!  Last month was my best EVER since becoming a merchant!

I strongly suggest everyone still using magic boxes to convert to direct on the double quick!  Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell cannot yet, but the rest of you can.  Convert them over, folks.  There's no sense waiting until the last possible second when everybody and their brothers will be trying to rush to beat the deadline and the load on the marketplace will make it slow as H.E.doublehockeysticks again.  

And, because I've been accused of this in the past...

*DISCLAIMER*  I am not now, have never been, nor will ever be an agent for Linden Lab, it's subsidiaries, employees or company.  All opinions expressed in this post are mine alone based on my experiences with the Direct Delivery system.

:matte-motes-big-grin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Marcus Hancroft wrote:

And they just keep pushing the drop dead date back further, and for what?  They can't get the merchant permission issue fixed so that the breedables merchants can use Direct Delivery?


Those silly breedable producers have it easy.

Land impact penalizes for good looking mesh, mesh with scripts, mesh with physics, coming soon will be hoping that region idling won't mess up all the stuff that has to constantly run on time and timers and whether HTTP calls will continue to run smoothly. Or whether pathfinding is worth the extra land impact and increased bugs.

Oh, and previous features that used to not birth them if there weren't enough prims on the land are now worthless due to the changing nature of Land Impact.

Not being able to sell them on the marketplace is just a teaser.


Marcus Hancroft wrote:

And, because I've been accused of this in the past...

*DISCLAIMER*
 I am not now, have never been, nor will ever be an agent for Linden Lab, it's subsidiaries, employees or company.  All opinions expressed in this post are mine alone based on my experiences with the Direct Delivery system.


So you say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You do not need to file a new JIRA. HOWEVER, do check that the one you filed is still open. If it is not, update the information and reopen it. Publish the JIRA number in the forum with a good title so people with the same problem can add to the JIRA comments. Publish the number in the Merchant's/Commerce group in-world. Do that every couple of days for a week or so. You want everyone to know about it, so if they have the same problem they can add to the comments.

Also on the JIRA click WATCH. It makes no, or little, difference if you click VOTE.

Make sure to add new viewer and server version numbers. 

Make sure you have a step-by-step for how to create the problem. If the Lindens cannot repeat it, they can't fix it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Nalates Urriah wrote:

You do not need to file a new JIRA. HOWEVER, do check that the one you filed is still open. If it is not, update the information and reopen it. Publish the JIRA number in the forum with a good title so people with the same problem can add to the JIRA comments. Publish the number in the Merchant's/Commerce group in-world. Do that every couple of days for a week or so. You want everyone to know about it, so if they have the same problem they can add to the comments.

Also on the JIRA click WATCH. It makes no, or little, difference if you click VOTE.

Make sure to add new viewer and server version numbers. 

Make sure you have a step-by-step for how to create the problem. If the Lindens cannot repeat it, they can't fix it.

The jira I posted on was the one that Pearl began about 4 months ago:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-4587

If I start a new one, LL will likely delete it as it's the same issue but, as Josh said, that's about the worst they can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Marcus Hancroft wrote:

 

I strongly suggest everyone still using magic boxes to convert to direct on the double quick! Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell cannot yet, but the rest of you can. 


Correction - Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell and people who do not have have PCs capable of running the DD viewers cannot.

ETA: And before someone jumps in and thinks I'm not buying a new PC "just because" (as if...lol), there are reasons.  Also, mega-thanks to those of you who have talked with me privately and offered some great suggestions. *Hugs*

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Marcus Hancroft wrote:

 

I strongly suggest everyone still using magic boxes to convert to direct on the double quick! Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell cannot yet, but the rest of you can. 


Correction - Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell and
people who do not have have PCs capable of running the DD viewers
cannot.

ETA: And before someone jumps in and thinks I'm not buying a new PC "just because" (as if...lol), there are reasons.  Also, mega-thanks to those of you who have talked with me privately and offered some great suggestions. *Hugs*

 

Howdy, Miss Czari!  Yes, if your computer can't run Firestorm or the Linden Lab V3, that's a problem.  I'm assuming you've tried both and either crashed immediately or was so lagged you couldn't even bring up your inventory.  I wish I had a solution for you on this issue.  

Have you tried logging into an empty water sim like Koscina using Firestorm?  Maybe with nothing to rez the viewer would work just well enough to get things uploaded?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Marcus Hancroft wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Marcus Hancroft wrote:

 

I strongly suggest everyone still using magic boxes to convert to direct on the double quick! Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell cannot yet, but the rest of you can. 


Correction - Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell and
people who do not have have PCs capable of running the DD viewers
cannot.

ETA: And before someone jumps in and thinks I'm not buying a new PC "just because" (as if...lol), there are reasons.  Also, mega-thanks to those of you who have talked with me privately and offered some great suggestions. *Hugs*

 

Howdy, Miss Czari!  Yes, if your computer can't run Firestorm or the Linden Lab V3, that's a problem.  I'm assuming you've tried both and either crashed immediately or was so lagged you couldn't even bring up your inventory.  I wish I had a solution for you on this issue.  

Have you tried logging into an empty water sim like Koscina using Firestorm?  Maybe with nothing to rez the viewer would work just well enough to get things uploaded?

Hi, Marcus :)  Ok, the situation is that I have a PC that does not have SEE2 which, according to Wiki, was introduced by Intel in 2001 with their Pentium 4 and rival chip makers adding this in 2003.  This is an integral element required to run the DD viewers as well as being able to see mesh, which is noted on the Cool Viewer website.

Anyway, my PC was built by techies at a small PC store and over the years I just upgraded components as needed.  I upgraded the motherboard at least once, the graphics card a couple of times, added more RAM, etc.  Based on the 2003 date above, I apparently have a 9-year-old PC, chip-wise.

Now the reason I can't just buy a new PC (impossible to upgrade this one because new graphics cards are not compatible with my motherboard, etc.) is due to medical/financial reasons.  However...good news on the horizon.  A family member has offered to provide funds so I am in the process of PC-hunting to find the best one for the money.  I would actually like to try my hand at building one but with a lot of other things swirling around my head RL plus the DD deadline for MP, I don't want to risk buying expensive components and shorting out something.

Before I realized why certain viewers would not even load on my PC (ie. SEE2) I tried SL V2 (which had previously run on my PC fine, but apparently when it was upgraded to V3 and I tried to run V2, it must have updated itself and I got an error message - it doesn't even try to run.  Ditto Firestorm, the newest Phoenix Viewer (I'm currently using Phoenix v. 1.5.2.1185), Cool Viewer, etc.

I hope to have a new PC prior to the MB cutoff.  In addition to being able to migrate to DD, considering I have to run my viewer on 64m draw distance to move and even then am majorly lagged when I go someplace with a lot of textures, and definitely can't see any of the Windlight-introduced features - I will see a whole new SL - if LL doesn't tick me off sufficiently to pack it in....heh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Marcus Hancroft wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Marcus Hancroft wrote:

 

I strongly suggest everyone still using magic boxes to convert to direct on the double quick! Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell cannot yet, but the rest of you can. 


Correction - Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell and
people who do not have have PCs capable of running the DD viewers
cannot.

ETA: And before someone jumps in and thinks I'm not buying a new PC "just because" (as if...lol), there are reasons.  Also, mega-thanks to those of you who have talked with me privately and offered some great suggestions. *Hugs*

 

Howdy, Miss Czari!  Yes, if your computer can't run Firestorm or the Linden Lab V3, that's a problem.  I'm assuming you've tried both and either crashed immediately or was so lagged you couldn't even bring up your inventory.  I wish I had a solution for you on this issue.  

Have you tried logging into an empty water sim like Koscina using Firestorm?  Maybe with nothing to rez the viewer would work just well enough to get things uploaded?

Hi, Marcus
:)
  Ok, the situation is that I have a PC that does not have SEE2 which, according to Wiki, was introduced by Intel in 2001 with their Pentium 4 and rival chip makers adding this in 2003.  This is an integral element required to run the DD viewers as well as being able to see mesh, which is noted on the Cool Viewer website.

Anyway, my PC was built by techies at a small PC store and over the years I just upgraded components as needed.  I upgraded the motherboard at least once, the graphics card a couple of times, added more RAM, etc.  Based on the 2003 date above, I apparently have a 9-year-old PC, chip-wise.

Now the reason I can't just buy a new PC (impossible to upgrade this one because new graphics cards are not compatible with my motherboard, etc.) is due to medical/financial reasons.  However...good news on the horizon.  A family member has offered to provide funds so I am in the process of PC-hunting to find the best one for the money.  I would actually like to try my hand at building one but with a lot of other things swirling around my head RL plus the DD deadline for MP, I don't want to risk buying expensive components and shorting out something.

Before I realized why certain viewers would not even load on my PC (ie. SEE2) I tried SL V2 (which had previously run on my PC fine, but apparently when it was upgraded to V3 and I tried to run V2, it must have updated itself and I got an error message - it doesn't even try to run.  Ditto Firestorm, the newest Phoenix Viewer (I'm currently using Phoenix v. 1.5.2.1185), Cool Viewer, etc.

I hope to have a new PC prior to the MB cutoff.  In addition to being able to migrate to DD, considering I have to run my viewer on 64m draw distance to move and even then am majorly lagged when I go someplace with a lot of textures, and definitely can't see any of the Windlight-introduced features - I will see a whole new SL - if LL doesn't tick me off sufficiently to pack it in....heh.

If you end up not getting a PC for some reason, you might even see if you can get a trusted friend to login for you and do it or borrow their computer for a day to get it all uploaded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Josh Susanto wrote:

And when we have finally all converted, what then?

Will the server(s) that process DD be able to handle all the additional activity?

I mean, since everything else has already gone so perfectly for everyone?

I think it would once you converted. The problems I ran into was DURING the conversion, the slowness of the website. But after the conversion I've had no problem at all. Which problems specifically you are meaning though that are occuring after migrating to DD? I would have to say yes, it has gone pretty perfectly for me. but maybe I'm just not aware of what problem you are referring to so I'm not about to say there aren't any.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Deja Letov wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Marcus Hancroft wrote:


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Marcus Hancroft wrote:

 

I strongly suggest everyone still using magic boxes to convert to direct on the double quick! Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell cannot yet, but the rest of you can. 


Correction - Those of you who sell breedables and don't have full permissions on what you sell and
people who do not have have PCs capable of running the DD viewers
cannot.

ETA: And before someone jumps in and thinks I'm not buying a new PC "just because" (as if...lol), there are reasons.  Also, mega-thanks to those of you who have talked with me privately and offered some great suggestions. *Hugs*

 

Howdy, Miss Czari!  Yes, if your computer can't run Firestorm or the Linden Lab V3, that's a problem.  I'm assuming you've tried both and either crashed immediately or was so lagged you couldn't even bring up your inventory.  I wish I had a solution for you on this issue.  

Have you tried logging into an empty water sim like Koscina using Firestorm?  Maybe with nothing to rez the viewer would work just well enough to get things uploaded?

Hi, Marcus
:)
  Ok, the situation is that I have a PC that does not have SEE2 which, according to Wiki, was introduced by Intel in 2001 with their Pentium 4 and rival chip makers adding this in 2003.  This is an integral element required to run the DD viewers as well as being able to see mesh, which is noted on the Cool Viewer website.

Anyway, my PC was built by techies at a small PC store and over the years I just upgraded components as needed.  I upgraded the motherboard at least once, the graphics card a couple of times, added more RAM, etc.  Based on the 2003 date above, I apparently have a 9-year-old PC, chip-wise.

Now the reason I can't just buy a new PC (impossible to upgrade this one because new graphics cards are not compatible with my motherboard, etc.) is due to medical/financial reasons.  However...good news on the horizon.  A family member has offered to provide funds so I am in the process of PC-hunting to find the best one for the money.  I would actually like to try my hand at building one but with a lot of other things swirling around my head RL plus the DD deadline for MP, I don't want to risk buying expensive components and shorting out something.

Before I realized why certain viewers would not even load on my PC (ie. SEE2) I tried SL V2 (which had previously run on my PC fine, but apparently when it was upgraded to V3 and I tried to run V2, it must have updated itself and I got an error message - it doesn't even try to run.  Ditto Firestorm, the newest Phoenix Viewer (I'm currently using Phoenix v. 1.5.2.1185), Cool Viewer, etc.

I hope to have a new PC prior to the MB cutoff.  In addition to being able to migrate to DD, considering I have to run my viewer on 64m draw distance to move and even then am majorly lagged when I go someplace with a lot of textures, and definitely can't see any of the Windlight-introduced features - I will see a whole new SL - if LL doesn't tick me off sufficiently to pack it in....heh.

If you end up not getting a PC for some reason, you might even see if you can get a trusted friend to login for you and do it or borrow their computer for a day to get it all uploaded.

Hi Deja :)  Yes, the *Hugs* I was giving out earlier were to wonderful people, both new friends I've met via this forum and some longtime SL friends, who have offered this option to me.  One who even went way above and beyond for a relative stranger - which was so very much appreciated.

I do have the option of also going to my parents home and uploading to DD on my fathers PC if I haven't acquired a new PC by the MB cutoff date - just, well...you know how sometimes family situations can be. ;)  But they would allow me to do this, I'm sure.

My preference is to have another PC built for me like the one I've had for so long rather than purchasing a brand name since I love being able to swap out components easily. The shop that built my current PC and where I went for like 18 years (the owner/techs greeted me by name and knew my PC *very* well) is now closed and the owner just does commercial on-site business now. :(  I'd go back there in a heartbeat, even though I now live a 2-hour round trip distance.

So, I do have one estimate from a shop in town.  It is a bit over budget.  There is another shop I want to get an estimate from, determine which shop I prefer overall, then see what components to pare down on to stay within budget.  My main objectives are the best graphics card I can afford and a motherboard that allows for RAM expansion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Czari Zenovka wrote:


Nalates Urriah wrote:

You do not need to file a new JIRA. HOWEVER, do check that the one you filed is still open. If it is not, update the information and reopen it. Publish the JIRA number in the forum with a good title so people with the same problem can add to the JIRA comments. Publish the number in the Merchant's/Commerce group in-world. Do that every couple of days for a week or so. You want everyone to know about it, so if they have the same problem they can add to the comments.

Also on the JIRA click WATCH. It makes no, or little, difference if you click VOTE.

Make sure to add new viewer and server version numbers. 

Make sure you have a step-by-step for how to create the problem. If the Lindens cannot repeat it, they can't fix it.

The jira I posted on was the one that Pearl began about 4 months ago:

If I start a new one, LL will likely delete it as it's the same issue but, as Josh said, that's about the worst they can do.

Just posted the new mixed listings on my MP site - well new since the original mixed listings from March were removed after a ton of support tickets closed by "Scouts" - then apologized for by Dakota, etc.

Since this is the same jira issue but different mixed listings, I added the info on the current situation.  For some reason I couldn't add photos to that comment (tried several methods as well as the "attach" feature at the top of the jira page, but gave the URL.

I plan to file a support ticket but am waiting until Monday because, from past experience, the Scouts will close it or tell me to file an inworld AR. (That was actually the response to one of my tickets on the first set of mixed listings.  I'm still wondering who I would AR. lol)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...