EXDEPART GIFT ~ SPAM/VIRUS

Sukiss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Someone sent me a gift EXDEPART GIFT 2012 and when I opened it it seems to be a huge spammer opening hundreds of notecards.

I have deleted the object but how do I remove all the notecards which are showing as scrolling boxes across the top of my screen?

It will take me ages to click on each one.

Help Please!

9 answers to this question

This just happened to one of my residents on our RP community as well.  It not only opened a ton of things, but it stole her HUD, her L$ and things in her inventory started deleting...I would contact LL if I were you and let all your friends know to DO NOT OPEN them and delete them ASAP but report the creator first.

• Like 2

Before one starts adding to false information based on what someone else's friend's friend claims happened to their second cousin's ex brother in law, its probably a good idea to get the full facts.  

Start by reading this article - http://jayrcelasecondlifetechnologist.blogspot.com/2012/07/virus-alert-more-viral-than-virus.html

"First, you should be aware that objects cannot steal accounts. At least not without your permission. If you rez something that wants to steal your account, first it has to ask for your password. Only with your password can it even access your account. 

Second, it cannot take any money from you without first asking, and LL puts up a big warning about it on your viewer, on which you must consciously choose to accept.

In reality, this object is a spoofing griefer. It knows who you are because you are the owner. It will then rez more items with you as the owner, and it will pass itself to others, thus propagating itself."

• Like 2

That would be fine, but it's not showing the creator, it shows you as the owner, and that you are sending it, you can't even truly block it, because if it's coming from you, it's impossible to mute yourself. My friends and I visited a rental SIM last night and are being attacked with it, and we didn't take it, all it does is steal your UUID and show you as the owner. So we all AR it, even though it showed me as the owner, we explained where we were, and when it started. Apparently it's been around since monday and some lonely griever got bored and designed something to annoy us. It hasn't stolen anything from me, NOR deleted my inventory it's just really annoying. Try readin the web site listed and you'll understand it more.

http://jayrcelasecondlifetechnologist.blogspot.com/2012/07/virus-alert-more-viral-than-virus.html

ALSO!  When someone opens it, it sends a tiny invisiprim box 4000 meters in the air.  You will keep getting messages and it will keep sending things out until you delete that prim.  its a very small box, I almost missed it when I returned it to residents.  If you own the sim, or have manager rights, its found easiest by going to region details and looking at scripts...that way you can just tp to it. 

• Like 1

or if you are a builder, and you know what you're looking for, you can send an object up to it, and eventually it does show up in an area search list too, so you can edit that object you sent up there, and delete it once you find it, just make sure you turn the transparent from 100% down to 0% and the box will turn red at least mine did LOL

FYI..To get it to show up in area search, clear your cache, and your inventory cache, and relog, when you log back in, it does Show up in Area search as EXDEPART GIFT 2012

• Like 1

Another way to find it is to look in your local chat history. I TPed directly up to the object this way, and it showed up with the "highlight transparent" box checked. I was able to block and/or blacklist it this way, but since it isn't mine (a family member was the unwitting victim) I can't edit it or otherwise affect it, so it is still there ready to spam the unwary.

I hope LL will get rid of these soon.

I had the same experience as the rest of you this August, and the hints given in the answers helped me resolve it.  I rezed the EXDEPART script and battled the spam and it's recurance.  Fortunately, I have Manager privs on my home sim, so was able to locate the sript in the land info and highlight it.  I found it at exactly 4000M, above the spot where I rezzed it, and was then able to select it, make the box opaque, delete it, and immediately flush my trash.  Pass the word to your friends.  And if you don't have the privs yourself, show this page to your sim owner.

Good information - thanks!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.