Jump to content

New Feature Proposal: VIRTUAL LANDMARKS


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts


Indigo Mertel wrote:

Check this
for more details on the Content Creation Improvement User Group. You should be able to find some answers there. You may want to check Natales' blog for more posts, as she posted a few times about this group in the last two months.

Wow are we in synch.  I JUST sent a PM to GEENZ SPAD as per your suggestion asking how one would get a proposed idea (posted as a JIRA) in front of the eyes of the Lindens via the Content Creators UG.  After going to the Blogsite you JUST sent to me in your last post, I now know who GEENZ SPAD is.  So thanks for the perfectly timed posting to that blogsite.

The way the new usergroup is described, my proposed idea sorta fits this group as it is a new idea for SL technology that LL could consider.... but I am a bit confused why Nalates suggests that this group is a focus of "FASHION" and Content creators.  Not sure why fashion creators are specially mentioned over all other content creators since they do fit the group of a Content Creator.  So I am wondering if this usergroup's purpose is moreso to promote new ideas that advance "fashion" content?

To me a user group that seeks members from any group (creators, merchants, service providers, etc.) whom have ideas that would improve the general experience of the SL grid should be promoted.  Generally I would have not seriously considered participating in this user group if I had read that there seems to be a slant toward Fashion content creators.  I create sculpty terrain landscape packs and art and mesh sculptures (not mesh terrain packs yet as LI penalties on mesh makes sculpties the more viable option still).

Regardless, since all fashion content creators are likely MERCHANTS as well so that they can sell what they create, I would think many of this sub-class of content creators would see just as much value in VIRTUAL LANDMARKS as any other commercial enterprise within SL.

I wait to hear a response from Geenz Spad.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is an explanation for that: the first topic discussed by the group (or one of the first topics) was the mesh deformer, as that was a major topic among content creators in the past months. I believe the group discussed the mesh deformer for a number of meetings. Subsequently, they discussed another fashion-reated topic: cloth simulation. With her post Natales meant to catch the attention of fashion creators to encourage them to partecipâte to the meetings. However, if you check the group's wiki page you'll see that the focus is described in more generic terms.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Indigo Mertel wrote:

There is an explanation for that: the first topic discussed by the group (or one of the first topics) was the mesh deformer, as that was a major topic among content creators in the past months. I believe the group discussed the mesh deformer for a number of meetings. Subsequently, they discussed another fashion-reated topic: cloth simulation. With her post Natales meant to catch the attention of fashion creators to encourage them to partecipâte to the meetings. However, if you check the group's
you'll see that the focus is described in more generic terms.

That explains why this user group seems to be heavily weighted to being a FASHION / MESH user group.  I have also gone to this specific user group and submitted my agenda item on the wiki page (that was no small feat for me as I am no a wiki editor and it took me a while to even figure out how others added agenda items to the agenda ;) ).  But to be honest with you, even though that contact you told me about has still not responded to me nor has Nyx or any other Linden yet rejected my agenda item, as I read the objectives for this group, I dont think this is the right user group to present and propose the Virtual Landmarks.

I was even told by members of the Merchant Forum that the Virtual Landmarks topic likely will not be a good fit with this user group.  They were suggesting it might fit better in the SERVER/SIM/SCRIPTING user groups.  This would be great for me as its at an hour I might be able to attend (after work hours).

SERVER SIM SCRIPTING UG : The Server User Group exists to provide an opportunity for discussion about server technology, annoying bugs, and feature ideas.

It would be nice if any of the user group moderators would provide advice but I think I might move my VIRTUAL LANDMARKS proposal to SERVER/SIM/SCRIPTING today.  Only bad thing about that group is that its agenda is very busy.

But thanks again for enlightening me on the UGs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Toysoldier Thor wrote:

That explains why this user group seems to be heavily weighted to being a FASHION / MESH user group....

The Server User Group seems to be a good option. Hope it works. However, just let me reiterate that the Content Creation Improvement Informal User Group is not about fashion, it's about content in general.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Indigo - I know no matter how good the idea might be that it will be an uphill battle to get LL to seriously consider the idea as their "job jar" is almost always full with their own marbles that they want to work on.  But, the idea of Virtual Landmarks has the most powerful direct benefit with the all the Merchants of SL as they have to deal with invalid dead LMs to a grand scale at least one (if not several times) in their content creation & selling career in SL.  I am talking to this community in hopes that several of them will also attend the user group meeting to voice their support for Virtual LandMarkts.

As for the "Content Creation / Mesh Import" user group's focus, I understand where you are coming from.  That the group's title has "mesh" in it give me the impression (and likely an accurate one) that the group is dedicated to promote and resolves issues around MESH content.  And since fashion industry is one of the largest current creator groups of mesh, its natural that the group's focus is about MESH.    All other content creation like scripts, sculpty, textures, etc. likely would technically fall into this group but I doubt much is talked about regarding these topics.

PS - yesterday - as per a jira comment reques - I overhauled and simplified the JIRA description to remove the BLOG aspects from the JIRA.

Anyway... off to a meeting in RL ... thanks for the input.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I tend to be a bit of a GEEK and my explanation of the new feature of Virtual Landmarks was geek talk in the JIRA as I was sorta directing the talk to LL.

BUT today Nalates did an awesome no-Tech Human blog posting of the new Virtual LandMarks concept as well as provided a very level fair talk of the possible challenges brought up by LL for consideration.

If you thought the JIRA was too GEEK for you ... I would strongly suggest you read her blog - it makes a lot of sense.

http://blog.nalates.net/2012/08/04/virtual-landmarks/

Thanks Nalates

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To help promote the support for VLMs and send a message to LL that not only is a good idea but one that the general community of SL supports and wants LL to make a development priority, I have created a SUPPORT VLM poster and kit that any resident can get a copy of inworld and place on their store, mall, venue, art gallery, HUNT, etc.

You can get a free copy of it at my inworld store or just IM me and I will send you a copy of the poster...

Here is the poster I created...

SupportVLMs.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UPDATE from the August 3rd "Server User Group" meeting, I was able to get Andrew Linden to post the August 3rd meeting transcripts that included the disucssion on the new concept of VLMs....

The transcript is for the entire meeting - so to help you all out, the topic of VLMs started at my [16:22] local chat message...

AUG 3 Server UG Transcripts

 

Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Talia Davidov wrote:

That seemed like a pretty postive response to me . . though am I the only one that finds it a bit scary the things Andrew didn't know like do picks still work . .:matte-motes-agape:

I think most Lindens do not actually use the SL world and experience the SL life that their develop, operate, support, and make policies for.

 

I was a little surprised a comment from Simon that gave the impression he was not aware that VERY OFTEN at SL events where there is currently only one LM - TP location provided to the event how so many avatars end up landing on each others head.  This is frustrating especially when an Avatar arrives and does not move away from this single LM location so other arriving avatars are stuck floating in the air waiting for this person to move to the event.

With VLM Round-Robining, the VLM-MS can be configured with 3 LM Coordinates and start dropping arriving guests at different coordinates within the event (even if only by a few meters from each other).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Great news!!  VLMs have entered the SecondLife grid !

What might not surprise you all is that the VLM service was NOT developed by LL.  The value of the VLM service has been developed by an external third party - a current merchant of SL who knows the SL grid well and who knows the huge potential of VLMs for the SL grid.  In fact, because this VLM service was developed by a 3rd party outside LL, the service will also be able to be offered to competing grids to SL.

Nalates has blogged about it on her blog site if you want to read all about it.

http://blog.nalates.net/2012/12/03/sl-virtual-landmarks/

And Darruis - the developer of the new service has blogged all about his new service and why its so important for SL to have this service on the grid....

http://www.dgp4sl.com/wp/2012/12/time-to-push-second-life-forward-virtual-landmarks/

 

Lets hope this new VLM servicce might push LL to now either sit down with Darrius to discuss how it can be fully integrated into SL natively.  Most of us know that even though LL staff have mentioned that the VLM concept has been reviewed and approved as a solution slated for development as some time i the future.... it likely would have died a slow and painful death sitting in LL's "Job Jar".  Maybe now when they realize that this invaluable service and database will begin to grow outside of their control... they might speed up the development of native VLMs.

Congrats to Darrius for bringing my VLM concept to life in SL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3167 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...