New Feature Proposal: VIRTUAL LANDMARKS

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Because of some major pain I am going through as a merchant of an inworld store and art gallery that after 3 years in the same place, I am being forced to move my store and gallery to a new sim, I came up with a global SL new feature concept for LL to consider that would be massively beneficial for so many of SL's residents like me.

The idea of  VIRTUAL LANDMARKS and a VLM Name Service.

I have created a JIRA for this idea with all the details that LL could assess.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-8082

I initially posted this idea in the Merchant forum as this community would be one of the largest benefactors of VLMs if LL were to ever consider deploying such a service.  But since the deployment this concept is a system wide solution, I thought I would post the idea in this forum where LL developers actually watch and read and participate.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Something that updates would be super.  I'm sure I've abandoned 'locations' that appear to be gone but have really simply moved elsewhere.

Thats one of the countless benefits of LL deploying a VLM Mapping Service.  If you are a Store, Club, Art Gallery, Consert / Major Events facilities owner and you had the ability to create VLMs instead of an LM and mass distribute these critical VLMs related to your inworld public location or venue over the several months or even years you handed it out.....  now you can simply go into your VLM Management screen and change the mapping to a VLM to your new sim or parcel of land or even a new spot on your exisitng land and ALL handed out VLMs to the 1000's of users in SL would get the updated location.

The idea of dead or abandoned LM's completely goes away now with VLMs.  Even if all these users changed the name of their copy of the VLM you gave them, the VLM systems will still automatically update all these VLMs because they are all simply pointers to the VLM-Mapping Service that will always be referenced whenever a user uses the VLM (i.e. clicks on it).

And since changing a VLM map is as easy as going to your management page and changing the map to the VLM, you can now even do quick temporary re-maps for special events or during a re-construction of your mall / store to a new location while you are building.

With the idea of VLM Mapping Services, LL could even deploy LM Round Robining or LM TP Failover functions to the VLM.

What boggles my mind is why the founders of SecondLife did not think of this when they initially created the concept of LMs in the first place.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

The idea of dead or abandoned LM's completely goes away now with VLMs.  Even if all these users changed the name of their copy of the VLM you gave them, the VLM systems will still automatically update all these VLMs because they are all simply pointers to the VLM-Mapping Service that will always be referenced whenever a user uses the VLM (i.e. clicks on it).

I think this is a great idea, I hate having to up date LM in all products, and I'm getting ready to have to do that again soon.

VLMs wouldn't completely get rid of dead land marks, it would only update land marks you create it wouldn't be able to up date LM made by some one else, for example a customer that creates their own LM for a store.  It all so wouldn't prevent dead LMs or VLMs created by people that leave SL, so may be an option to disable a VLM would be good to.

What about having the ability to add an alternate destination to a VLM, for example some one try's to go to your shop and the sim is full or down then the VLM would redirect them to a satellite shop.  Or if your shop is on adult land the VLM would redirect some one that is not age verified to a satellite shop not on adult land.

The other question I have about VLMs is how would they effect scripting that uses normal LMs, for example tour huds where the maker of the hud wouldn't be the creator of all the VLMs in the hud.

phaedra Exonar wrote:

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

I think this is a great idea, I hate having to up date LM in all products, and I'm getting ready to have to do that again soon.

VLMs wouldn't completely get rid of dead land marks, it would only update land marks you create it wouldn't be able to up date LM made by some one else, for example a customer that creates their own LM for a store.  It all so wouldn't prevent dead LMs or VLMs created by people that leave SL, so may be an option to disable a VLM would be good to.

What about having the ability to add an alternate destination to a VLM, for example some one try's to go to your shop and the sim is full or down then the VLM would redirect them to a satellite shop.  Or if your shop is on adult land the VLM would redirect some one that is not age verified to a satellite shop not on adult land.

The other question I have about VLMs is how would they effect scripting that uses normal LMs, for example tour huds where the maker of the hud wouldn't be the creator of all the VLMs in the hud.

Yo uare correct that VLMs would not fix any of the current problems we all encounter with LMs.  LMs are the raw physical asset that defines a specific location inworld.  These would still be allowed in the same manner as an IP ADDRESS on the Internet is still allow even if it may or may not have an actual host assigned to it.

And whomever is the creator/owner of the created VLM could still map a VLM to an invalid LM or the user could leave SL and the VLM becomes outdated and dead simply because the owner abandoned the VLM management and didnt keep the VLM up to date.

BUT... VLMs that are active and healthy and properly cared for by their owners - like a Merchant or Art Gallery Owner like me - will not have 1000's of LMs out on the inworld grid that are dead in everyone's inventory simply because he/ME had to move my store / art gallery to a new sim.

I cannot express how invaluable this concept of a VLM would be RIGHT NOW as I am moving my Landscape Store and Art Gallery to a new sim that has been in place for 3 years.  I grit my teeth that all my LMs that are huge marketing assets in all my customer's inventory will now be DEAD in a couple weeks.

As for your idea of VLMs having the ability to provide alternate LM responses - I did mention that in my posting and you are providing further examples of how these advanced VLM-Map Services would be able to provide added cool functions.  I mentioned the idea of the VLM-MS providing LM Round Robining (similar to how DNS does this) so that a very large club owner can provide LM points of 2 or 3 locations around the club so that arriving guests do not land on each other as they flood into the club for an event.  OR LM Failover responses so that if a TP fails on the primary TP or for examples you provided, the VLM would provide alternative LM locations to be TPed to.

As for your questions on how would a VLM and the VLM-MS work with scripts etc.... these are more of the interfaces that LL would have to figure out as they deploy the VLM service. 

They could release VLM in stages where script handling of the VLM an dVLM-MS services would be a later phase of the deployment.

Remember that VLMs would NOT replace LMs.  LMs would continue to be a 100% function asset within SL.  This is what adds to the elegance of this proposed solution in that LL could slowly phase this in.

In my opinion.... compared to the ugly complexities of Direct Delivery - VLM services would be much easier and les risky to deploy.

Thanks Indigo!

tonight I will try to socialize the JIRA on my facebook and hope others will grab it and re-socialize.  I find for me that for an SL Account Facebook, everyone seems to do a lot of talking but little listening :)  at least for my account.  So me posting the Jira on my facebook wont likely go far.

I have Twittered my blog of the same idea and the jira to @rodvik @ozlinden and @secondlife.  I dont expect any response from that but at lease I posted there.

What would be really nice is if LL would just look at the Jira and regardless of the voting popularity - just look at the common-sense logic to the idea and how realtively simple it would be to deploy VS the huge positive impact it would have on improving the SL EXPERIENCE.  This idea should fly in LL's mind regardless of the votes.

I had some reshares within minutes, so the feebback is good.

Not sure if you saw my suggestion to submit your JIRA to the Content Creation Improvement Informal User Group, as I edited my previous post to add that bit while you were replying to me. That group is monitored by Linden Lab and has the purpose of discussing new features or improving existing ones.

Indigo Mertel wrote:

Not sure if you saw my suggestion to submit your JIRA to the Content Creation Improvement Informal User Group, as I edited my previous post to add that bit while you were replying to me. That group is monitored by Linden Lab and has the purpose of discussing new features or improving existing ones.

I didnt see your suggestion.  I am not aware of this User Group.  Maybe if you are part of this group you could mention the idea and point LL to the Jira.

LL doesnt really read whats in these forums - well at least not the Merchant forum - not sure of this forum.

Yea I thought about this as being a possiblity several years ago. But not as a DNS thing.. But really. If a resident loves your product or store/business, and wants to return, they will find you if you advertise properly about having to move.  I built my first and second club on main land and had to move the clubs to a private region after we got massively popular. Everyone found us with no problem . I have done this 2 times without any one having trouble finding us. Club and mall for both places... You location may have changed but your profile and business name is still the same and searchable... and they can seek you out like that...

If something was to be done Maybe would be easier just to set up a simple change of address system . Where merchant/business owner submits to the landmark change of address system. So when any user tried to access the landmark to your old location . the system sees this and drops the user a new popup and landmark letting them know you have moved and to update their landmarks. Would probably be less complicated than a dns naming system. And the change of adress should have an expiration date. 6 months or a year like you would have on US postal service..

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Yea I thought about this as being a possiblity several years ago. But not as a DNS thing.. But really. If a resident loves your product or store/business, and wants to return, they will find you if you advertise properly about having to move.  I built my first and second club on main land and had to move the clubs to a private region after we got massively popular. Everyone found us with no problem . I have done this 2 times without any one having trouble finding us. Club and mall for both places... You location may have changed but your profile and business name is still the same and searchable... and they can seek you out like that...

If something was to be done Maybe would be easier just to set up a simple change of address system . Where merchant/business owner submits to the landmark change of address system. So when any user tried to access the landmark to your old location . the system sees this and drops the user a new popup and landmark letting them know you have moved and to update their landmarks. Would probably be less complicated than a dns naming system. And the change of adress should have an expiration date. 6 months or a year like you would have on US postal service..

All you are suggesting are alternatives and mitigations that we are forced to accept because of SL's current limited deployment of LMs. 

Since we ALL currently have this major limitation with LM's in that they are independant "cast in stone" definitions of a specific inworld location that cannot be mass changed (nor should they be as they do serve their specific purpose), then anyone that operates any public / commercial traffic attracting & promoting location has no choice but to come up with several other solutions to overcome the limits of not have a Virtual LM system.

Yes I do know that if a club of store or concert place is popular enough that customers / guest will eventually find you - but that really isnt the point.  As much as I agree that when I move my store and gallery in the coming 2 weeks that
"I WILL SURVIVE
" , the point is that 3 years of a growing footprint of my distribution of LM's in all my customers and potential customer's inventory will be instantly wiped off the face of the SL virtual world. 

Over the days, weeks, months after my move there will be SL residents that might have my LM and want to use it and land in some abandoned sim or worse yet a sim with Adult content when they didnt expect it.  Many SL residents that will try the LM and land in a place they didnt expect will more times than not simply assume my SL business went under and shurg and say "Ohh well thats too bad". 

Please dont say this never happens because this happens all the time and even by me.  I just did it this week when I was looking for a blues club and I Searched my inventory for "blues".  I saw 5 LMs in my inventory for blues clubs - I clicked on each of them and only 1 was a valid location.  Did I look for the alternative place for the ones that were invalid?  NOPE!  I couldnt be bothered.  I just assumed these clubs went under and looked for another place.  I deleted the LM and this club will never be looked for by me again.  For the club owner.... a lost visitor.

Now... if we had a VLM system and these clubs all set up a VLM to their club.  They now have full flexibility to change their club's main LM location since all they have to do is make a quick change to the VLM on their VLM Management page. 

They could also overhaul their club and very easily temporarily change all the 1000's of LMs they handed out to a temporary club space until they finished rebuilding the main club. 

If they have to move to a new parcel of land - they could not avoid all the effort of communicating and advertising how the club will be or has moved to a new location (I have seen this intense effort happen with many clubs I followe).  All they have to do is quietly change the VLM mapping to the new club location at the new sim.  BOOM - in seconds all the 1000's of VLMs that all their guests have will now have the new location.

So you are right in that without VLMs - store club owners are forced to use other means and take countless hours getting their base of visitors to become aware of their new location.  But this does not solve the root cause of the problem that the inventories of every SL resdient is completely polluted with countless invalid, stale, out dated, several versions of LMs.  It does not solve the root problem that tons of promotion and marketing in distributing LMs over a long period of time is wastede simply because SL does not have a system like VLMs that can quickly and effectively change the parameters / location details of all these LM's they handed out.

SL needs a VLM and VLM Mapping System as much as the Internet needs a DNS.

Hi, First of all i like to say that i love the idea, i don't even have a shop yet and i already see a problem...

But to add a little not thought through idea to your great idea...

Why not just keep the existing LM's instead of making all sort of dns LM,s and all i don't understand anyway, hehe.. "yes i'm not so technical... :-)
Then instead, when a user creates a new LM, then he/she can edit the LM coordinates in it, and when saved, the LM coordinates are saved on the LM server for that specific lm... A user could could just walk to a location and type in the new numbers in the lm...

When a LM is then given away, it is no modify... Only the creator can modify it.. And the copy of the LM get the coordinates from the LM server...
Therefore if you change the original, and updates the lm to the server, all copy's of that lm will go to the new coordinates...

It may not be as smart as your idea, like i said it is not thought through at all and i have no idea what i'm talking about, it's just an idea.. :-)

And maybe it would be fast to implement, it seems quite simple, it would not require any coding in the viewers and then they can work on your smart Vlm meanwhile... "i think they have a lot to do, smiles"

So I do know what you are suggesting - basically "why create a new asset called a VLM when we should be able to just change how the LMs are used".  Although at a non-technical level that would sound like a legit question, its not viable to accomplish all the objectives that VLMs can do.  In fact, my idea of VLM for LMs is absolutely not a radical concept.  Its just another solution extension to countless similar solutions of virtualizing or creating "pointers" to fixed physical assets in the world of Information Technology.  WHY? Because is a rock solid architecture method.

The best example I already presented that everyone knows is the relationship of Internet IP addresses and DNS Host names.  Here is an example:  if you want to go to google, you know exactly how to go there...  http://www.google.com and you will get there.  But what you actually did was attempt to go to a commonly known human-friendly pointer or virtualized label to the network address of the servers that run the google website.  There is nothing stopping you from going to this web site's actual true physical address...  http://173.194.79.103/

The reason why Google as well as no one else would rather you didnt use their physical address is for several reason - similar to what I am suggesting with VLMs.  Bascially, by you using google.com to find their site, not only is it easier for you to remember BUT it give google technologies several options they couldnt do if you went to their address.  For example, if they decided or were forced to change that IP address then they could do this without having to tell the entire world "WE CHANGED OUR IP".  Sound familiar to LM??

Actually even within the IP addressing level, there are network devices used everywhere on the Internet that create "Virtual IP Addresses" that points to one or several other IP Addresses.  With VIP's a company can change all their IP addresses or add or remove them from the VIP's configuration and no one knows.

So a long winded answer is that in order for us in SL to have the flexibility of flexible LM's that an owner can manage and change and add advanced services to (like LM failover and round robining) the only viable proven solution is to create a VIRTUAL LM.

With VLMs the LMs are still 100% usable assets.  These are new additional and very Special types of LMs.

( I am a Network Architect in the RL so creating the concept of Virtualized LMs was not a far stretch of creativity - just shocked LL Engineers didnt think of this long time ago)

Well like i said, it was just an idea, a "quick fix" untill they have time to make smart Vlm landmarks...

I know a little bit about dns and ip adresses, but i don't want to lecture about it, if you know what i mean.. :-)

I don't mean to rude, i know your idea is much better.. However, if you for starters can just update the location grid numbers in the orginal lm, so all copy's of it will go to that location, i don't understand where we would have to tell the entire world ""we changed our ip""....

If you look at propperties for a lm, there are already settings for copy/mod/transfer... If you look at about lm, there are owner and creator, and if they wanted to they could even make it so that if you changed the description and image in the orginal, all copys would be updated when people look at them...
And there is even a edit butten... lol
Edit: You could also have an alternative field to put in a second set of location numbers in the lm, so that if the first is unaviable then you get transfered somewhere else by the owners choise...

Like i said, i think it would just be easy for them to implement for a start and then work on something much smarter like your idea.. :-)

Apologies if I sounded condescending as it was not my intent.  Based on your suggestion and that you mentioned you were not too technical, I made the assumption that you were not aware of how virtualization if physical hard-set assets or addressing or whatever actually worked.

I might be lost on your suggestion as well as not having a deeep LL/SL understanding of EXACTLY how LM's exist inside the Asset Server of SL, because my understanding of how LMs work in SL would mean you could not create a single LM and hand out this same LM to 100's of people and then change the parameters of this initially created LM.

Maybe someone will correct me if I am wrong but when I create a new LM to a location on the grid, I am creating a new asset entry into the SL Asset Server DB.  If I now hand out a copy of this LM to you (regardless how I do it - i.e. hand it to your avatar directly or store it in a selling pack as part of its contents or handed to you when you touch a LM Giver vendor), your LM is now a copied asset entry of my LM I have in the Asset DB.  It is not a pointer to your original LM.  As such, if I change my LM or delete it, it has no effect on your independant copy of this LM. 

The only way your solution would somehow work would be if my originally created LM and all the 100's of copies of this LM I hand out to everyone else are all just pointers to the same LM entry in the Asset DB (I miht be using thewrong term but if they all shared the same UUID in the Asset server).  If this was true then maybe there would be a way to jiggery pokery the current handling of the way LM's are manipulated by the clients of SL so that if I change the LM grid location then all the 100s of copies I handed out would see the same change.

But my belief is that each copy of that LM is its own UUID asset and now independant from the original.  I has no relationship now inter-communication with the original.  Making this possible would very complex.

And as you already said and agreed to, its only a potential tactical solution to the more stratetic solution of creating VLMs with a VLM-Mapping Service.

I still belive that the more simply approach of the two would be the create this new type of VLM asset and deploy it.  In this way LL would have a much lower risk of deployment vs playing around with live production and critical LMs.  If LL miscodes the handling of LMs (and we all know LL's history of software development and testing - look at DD), they could potentially bring SL to its knees.

Just some thoughts and sorry again for assuming the need for a simple explanation.

Yes, the landmark you create for your store, and all the copys you hand out no matter how, they would point to the same data in the lm information asset server.. And the only one who can change that information in the server "except for LL" is the creator of the lm when he/she makes changes to the orginal lm and saves it...
You could set a cordinate, a alternate cordinate for redirection, description and image and what ever you could think of in the orginal lm for all your costumers, and they all would have their lm updated with new cordinates the very sec they click on it to tp, because it just connects to the server and checks where it must go...

And don't worry, i'm kinda lost on your suggestion too, but the idea of being able to change your lm i brilliant.. smiles... :-)

Hi, i know that is not the same, but while LL develop the dynamic landmark this script can be a temporary solution for you:

First, create yourselt an account in Blogger or other site or open a free web page. In your case you can use your existing web page. 

Edit the HTML of your site and ADD this line just after of <head> tag,

<meta content='SITE' name='Grojnowski (66, 34, 69)'/>

Create a primitive and add this script:

// Create one prim and put this script inside.// Textures obtained from: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Sculpted_Prims:_Sculpt_Maps_and_Texturesdefault{    state_entry()    {                llSetPrimitiveParams([            PRIM_SIZE, <1.0, 1.6, 1.0>,            PRIM_ROTATION, llEuler2Rot(<67.0, 0.0, 0.0> * DEG_TO_RAD),            PRIM_TYPE, PRIM_TYPE_SCULPT, "39fba6dd-ae01-bd23-6fad-a25e4ea2a5fc", PRIM_SCULPT_TYPE_SPHERE,            PRIM_TEXTURE, ALL_SIDES, "ddb769c5-f893-96f3-0cfc-641d660a7e35", <1.0, 1.0, 0.0>, ZERO_VECTOR, PI/2,            PRIM_BUMP_SHINY, ALL_SIDES, 1, 0            ]);                llRemoveInventory(llGetScriptName());            }}

This will convert the ugly prim in a sculpted pin landmark.

Create other script with this content. I changed the constants for your case.

//_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_///_/_/                                                                                      _/_///_/_/                                DINAMIC LANDMARK SCRIPT                               _/_///_/_/                                 By: EsePibe Borkotron                                _/_///_/_/                                                                                      _/_///_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_///// Create yourself an account in Blogger and edit the HTML to put this line just after of <head>// <meta content='SITE' name='RegionName (128, 128, 22)'/>string FLOAT_TEXT = "Click here to go to my store.\n.\n.\n.";string MY_BLOG_URL = "http://toytalks.weebly.com/";float HOUR = 3600.0;   // Seconds in one hour.float UPDATE = 24;     // Every how many hours make an update.key gkReqId;string gsRegion = "";vector gvCoors = ZERO_VECTOR;integer giNumHours;default {        state_entry() {                gkReqId = llHTTPRequest(MY_BLOG_URL, [HTTP_METHOD,"GET"], "");                giNumHours = 0;        llSetTimerEvent(3600.0);            } // state_entry        on_rez(integer start_param) {                llResetScript();            } // on_rez        timer() {                if (giNumHours < UPDATE) {            giNumHours++;        } else {            giNumHours = 0;            gkReqId = llHTTPRequest(MY_BLOG_URL, [HTTP_METHOD,"GET"], "");        } // if            } // timer        touch_start(integer num_detected) {                if (gsRegion == "") {            return;        } // if                integer iCount;        for (iCount = 0; iCount < num_detected; iCount++) {            key kUser = llDetectedKey(0);            llMapDestination(gsRegion, gvCoors, ZERO_VECTOR);        } // for            } // touch_start        http_response(key request_id, integer status, list metadata, string body) {                integer i;        if (request_id == gkReqId) {                        list lDatos = llParseString2List(body, ["<meta content=SITE' name=], []);            integer iLong = llGetListLength(lDatos);            if (iLong < 2) {                llOwnerSay("Error: Dinamic landmark data not found.");            } else {                list lTokens = llParseString2List(llList2String(lDatos, 1), ["'"], []);                string sLandmark = llList2String(lTokens, 0);                                //llOwnerSay("DEBUG " + sLandmark);                                lTokens = llParseString2List(sLandmark, ["(", ")"], []);                                gsRegion = llStringTrim(llList2String(lTokens, 0), STRING_TRIM);                gvCoors = (vector) ("<" + llList2String(lTokens, 1) + ">");                                if (gsRegion != "") {                    //llOwnerSay("DEBUG - Region: [" + gsRegion + "] Coordinates: " + (string) gvCoors);                    llSetText(FLOAT_TEXT, <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0);                } else {                    llOwnerSay("ERROR: The format of your region string is incorrect: [" + sLandmark + "]");                    llSetText("", <1.0, 1.0, 1.0>, 1.0);                } // if                            } // if                    } else {                        llSay(0, (string) status + " error");                    } // if            } // http_response    } // default

The HTTP petittion is maded when the pin is rezzed or every 24 hours.  You can give to your visitors a normal landmark and this dinamic landmark.

EDIT: Modified error in timer event.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Over the days, weeks, months after my move there will be SL residents that might have my LM and want to use it and land in some abandoned sim or worse yet a sim with Adult content when they didnt expect it.  Many SL residents that will try the LM and land in a place they didnt expect will more times than not simply assume my SL business went under and shurg and say "Ohh well thats too bad". 

Please dont say this never happens because this happens all the time and even by me.  I just did it this week when I was looking for a blues club and I Searched my inventory for "blues".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand where you are coming from. But really, most people who don't want to see adult content, have it disabled on their viewer and will not be able to go to the LM unless it was enabled...If it is mainland, and you had it PG before and not adult content. then anyone who owns the land after you can not make it adult, and can not change the region rating... It Would have to be private land. Why would an abandoned sim be so terrible?

But really what is wrong with a User finding another place because of an old landmark? Is exploration not an option? When I go to a store or place in Real life and it has moved and another place has been put up. I say wow cool .  A new place to check out. And then I go to the other place I enjoy...But at the same time discovered another place... I just cant see manipulating the system in such a way that we retain ownership of where a resident goes.. I know me, when I see a place has moved. I look it up.

And I can imagine trying to update millions of landmarks in seconds with as much as it would tax the system

I am not saying it is a bad idea. I am just saying it seems a bit ownership and probably a lot easier ways to impliment a change of location than a full DNS system which will updates landmarks and tax the system a lot more and be another incured cost for residents. And those who can not use a credit card or something with SL can not participate even if it was private region........

What about updating user content in their folder without their permission... .

A Change of Location Would probably be pretty simple. Update a little code in the server with a relocation settings tab in land tools. A Little code in landmark generation and database to store relocation key and info and the landmark should be able to poll the key database for relocation flags.

The Parcel Owner enters the new location and a short message with a start date and expiration date. With a maximum expiration date of 1.5 years. Also update to where the server generates a relocation key that attaches to all landmarks This will be a unique key that is generated according to the time and date of ownership of the parcel... When the user tries to use the landmark, that has the unique key. The landmark checks the key database for relocation flags. The system will see it has a new reloaction flag on it and respond to the viewer with the new location info. then the viewer generates a new popup with all the info and buttons.

Button Number 1 Teleport now!

Button Number 2 Teleport and update landmark now!

3rd button would be cancel.

Having the system only update on request saves server energy - less lag and pretty simple to set up

After the parcel changes ownership, the landmark key would still be flagged in the datatabse as a relocation. This would probably not tax the system heavily and not require users to have to crap out a credit card to order a service from LL.

The key would automatically be generated and added to all landmarks from the first second of ownership

Thanks Esepibe for this workaround idea.

I am a little lost how it would work though.  Maybe it too early for my brain.  So when a visitor inworld clicks the LM, they will get what?  An LM ?  And if tomorrow I change the landmark it will change the visitor's LM or it will start handing out the new LM and the old ones are still old?  right?

Indigo Mertel wrote:

Coincidently someone in the Merchant community pointed out a SL wiki website of all these groups.  I would not have thought to attend the content creators to propose this Virtual Landmarks idea.

So exactly how do these meetings go and how would one propose to LL the idea at this meeting?  Wouldnt I just attend and point them to the JIRA to please read?

It would be awesome if SL had some type of call forwarding feature that transferred you to the new location when someone moves.

And on a side note, while I know that updating the LM's in all your products can be time consuming, please update your picks FIRST and ASAP.

If the old LM I have doesn't work, the first thing I am going to do is check your profile. If that is wrong, I am probably not going to search any further.

Indigo Mertel wrote:

I know of the group mainly for posts made by Natales Urriah on her blog. What I know is that you can submit a JIRA for discussion. I suggest you contact Geenz Spad for more information on how to proceed.

Thanks again Inigo for your input.  I dont know who Geenz Spad is but I will search for him/her inworld when I get online.  The problem I have is that almost all LL User group meetings are during normal North American business week/day hours when - well - I am at RL work.  So I cannot attend almost any of these meetings.

Maybe this GEENZ can place Virtual Landmarks onto the next Agenda of this Content usergroup meeting.  I think my JIRA is very clear about what I am proposing and there have also been good followup feedback comments on the JIRA.

Then during the next meeting, someone could speak on my behalf OR LL could read the JIRA ahead of time and run with their thoughts on the concept as well as their level of desire to consider it for future development.

I can read the minutes that I hope all these office hour meetings have?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.