how can I tell if a person has created two accounts in Second Life?

DarkAngelSilence Arun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

20 answers to this question

how can you tell ... to who?

Or your question is how can you KNOW?

In any case, any resident of SL can join two and more accounts without any problem. Why do you need to know/tell about the number of accounts of a Resident? No drama please :)

(edited for typos, as always)

• Like 2

You can't know it.

Its part of everyones right to have some privacy. Only an IP adress which is used at the same time from two different accounts can give an answer (if it isn't a household with more than one second life user). But that would be a lack of privacy and would violate the tos.

Why would you want to know? Maybe we can help better on a specific reason.

Most people use their alts for friendly and absolutly harmless things. May it be that they want to make another roleplay charakter, an avatar for experiment, for being alone when building and many other things. Its really a small group who use their alts for evil behavior.

• Like 2

Welcome to Second Life Answers, DarkAngel

Just in case no one sends you a private message inworld (!), I will respond to you here on the public forums. 

You cannot know for certain if someone has created two (or more) accounts in Second Life.  You can guess, if there are similarities, ie style of photo on profile, types of groups joined to, style of typing/paragraph layout/choice of font, etc.  However, there is no way you can be absolutely sure.

It is safer to assume that most people make use of alts. 

If your inner voice is telling you that someone has created an alternative avatar, they might have.  This is not against any Terms of Service, nor are they necessarily running around Second Life doing anything to deceive you or anyone else.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do so by clicking on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit". 

• Like 2

Just a side comment to the excellent replies the others gave you: WHY would you want to know? As it has been pointed out, having alts is not against the ToS and it not of your business whether someone has a furry, bunny, robot, gay, bi or whatever alt they want to. Your world, your imagination, your privacy. What is actually against the ToS is to divulge anybody's alt (or any other private information) without his consent.

• Like 2

A moment, a moment, a mooooooment... Well, yes, group hugs, helpers unite, different countries but only a world, peace and love.... Totally agree. BUT when Olympic Games begin, I have no friends in France or the United Kingdom (sorry Marigold, I don't know if you are English, Scottish or Irish).

Friendship is a great feeling, but a gold metal for Spain is a gold metal for Spain. My heart hurts remembering Trafalgar and Napoleon.

:D :D :D

You can't.  What's more, if you could, spreading that information to anyone else would be a Terms of Service violation.

Alts are sometimes used for nefarious purposes...but they are often useful.  You can use an alternate account to:

• get some privacy from your friends when you have work to do
  • get away from a stalker
  • be a group "bank account" to collect and hold funds from your land rentals, stores, etc.
  • be a test subject for product permissions settings
  • make a character for a specific type of roleplay
  • be a "placeholder" to keep a small private group open

One group I belong to sometimes has a "guess the alt" party.  Everyone makes a new alt and comes to the party.  The game is to correctly identify all the "strangers".

If you suspect that someone is using an alt to play games with your head, steal your boyfriend, cheat on you with someone else, etc...you can't Abuse Report them just for having an alt.  But you can de-friend them, Mute them, or, if they commit some action against the Terms of Service or Community Standards, you can Abuse Report them.

ROFL "with floaters" - just like our River Thames !!

Irene, I am English. The Russians and Chinese will win all the gymnastics medals. We have a strong swimming team in GB, which our country is focussing on the most. Like with the Eurovision, we are likely to get 'nil points', but you know what they say ... "it isn't the winning or the losing, it's the taking part that counts" (hahahahahahahahahahahaha)

Viva la difference!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.