SL distorted on new monitor

Sigren Panthar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I recently bought a 23" AOC IPS monitor.   SL looks great, but looking closely reveal all verticals are ever so slightly (only by looking at a circle or sphere can you see it fully) squashed, so a circle looks like a vertical elipse...albeit by a very small amount.

Windows auto detects the native res to be 1920X1080, and fiddling around with display scaling in windows and the nvidia control panel does not improve it.

Only by going to the 'relatively' inferior res of 1650x1050 does SL look normal with no squashed effect on verticals.

My card is a low end 520GT, but it's specs seem to indicate it should have no problem displaying at the monitor's native res.

Rest of pc is only 6 months old,  dual core 3.20 Ghz, 3.50gb RAM, win7 32 bit.

Not a top end machine, I am aware but it gets me fps of 45-60 in high settings, and other than this display glitch my SL performs well. 

You should use the resident resolution for the monitor.......1920 x 1080.  Set that with Windows and not the nVidia control panel.  Then launch your viewer and log in.  Under the "Advanced" menu (if it is not shown then ALT-CNTRL-D to enable it) look for "Set UI Size to Default" and click it.  Next (under the "Advanced" menu) open "Set Window Size".  Don't change anything but look at the UI window size......you should see something like 1920 x 1020 if you are using SL Viewer 3.  My resident resolution on my monitor is also 1920 x 1080 and my UI window is 1920 x 1019........I have no distortion.  The vertical UI size difference is due to the menu bar and address bar at the top and the tabs bar at the bottom.........I have no side tabs but if I did then the horizontal size would probably be lower than my resident resolution too.  Don't try to adjust the UI size using any monitor resolution settings........use the viewers settings.

This is likely a Windows/nVidia setting problem. The viewer will render a square square and a sphere round regardless of what size or ratio your viewer windows is.

If the Windows aspect is not matched to the physical monitor you'll get the distortion you are seeing. Look in the monitor's specs to find the native screen resolution and frequency. Set your Windows settings to match those. If the Windows panel is not detecting the same numbers, you'll need to get a driver for the screen... actually its more of a settings file than a driver. The driver/file is usually on an included CD. If not it can be downloaded from the manufacture.

Suggestions thus far are appreciated.

I tried altering the viewer settings as per Peggy's post, but had no effect on the squishing.

As for windows display panel', well that simply auto detects the monitor native res, and clicking on properties gets the 'monitor working correctly' message. 

Changing via windows or the nvidia control panels makes no difference and altering either adjusts the other to show the same, be it native res or the 1650X1050 ratio.  

My suspicions are it is actually the grahics card, despite the fact it is supposed to display that res no problem, which indeed it does, but with this very slight squishing of verticals.

I am using the standard pc/monitor cable,D-Sub, but have the option for hdmi, but frankly cannot see much difference at all between these.

There will be an answer, but as of this moment it is somewhat elusive.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3375 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.