I'm thinking about buying this laptop

Arkose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

HP Pavilion G6-2123u5

2.7 Ghz Amd A6-4400m Apu with Radeon HD graphics processor

4 GB Ram

Graphics Amd Radeon Hd 7520G

I would also be getting an extra cooling fan for it.  I don't need it to run at the high end, I just want it to run the game and not die.

Is this a good machine?

eta:

I need a laptop for the portability. The thing was marked clearance for $399, so I hoped I's found a good machine to play SL on wifi.  I guess I'll keep looking..

4 answers to this question

Arkrose,

The reviews for this laptop line from HP are not kind, especially in terms of the graphics.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Pavilion-g6-2123us.78154.0.html

The review specifically mentions

Modern games should be playable with these graphics cards at low settings and resolutions. Casual gamers may be happy with these cards.

SecondLife should be considered an advanced - high graphics capability application. You may be able to log into SL on this laptop but plan on using the lowest graphics settings.

Here is the link to specific graphics and equipment settings as documented by Linden Lab:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Graphics-cards/ta-p/700073

https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/

You may be better served by saving up a bit and shopping for a laptop with a  higher end GC.

• Like 1

This is not a discrete graphics card, this system is what is known as an APU or Accelerated Processing Unit. The graphics element is integrated into the AMD CPU and while it should run SL in Low mode, you'd be better off raising your budget and getting a better laptop with true gaming ability. What is your budget? You can add comments to your post using Options > Edit.

This is one review of the HD 7520G

"Radeon HD 7520G is an embedded GPU on the middle-class Trinity CPU A6-4400M recently released by AMD.
Since the GPU doesn't have dedicated memory, the bandwidth will depend on the system ram speed which can range from 1333MHz to 1600MHz (the only speeds supported by the CPU).
Gaming Benchmarks indicate Very Demanding games like Max Payne 3 and The Witcher II are unplayable at the lowest settings. We can only conclude Radeon 7520G's performance depends a lot on driver support and varies from game to game in a way games in the same category (demanding, very demanding, etc) can be unplayable at the lowest settings or might run at medium/high settings. A good example is Skyrim V and Anno 2070, both demanding games but while the latter runs smoothly on low settings, Skyrim V will struggle a lot...."

• Like 1

Besides the advice about getting a laptop with more graphics muscle, I would suggest you look at desktop computers.

Any desktop computer will be less expensive than a laptop with equivalent performance.  It will run cooler, and it is more easily upgradeable.

Unless you simply must have the portability of a laptop, a desktop is the better choice for gaming or any performance-intensive application.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4266 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.