Others Facelights ruining your SL experience?

Skygirl Kline

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Often we are blinded by some avatars appearing in a room wearing multiple facelights, and with the latest subtle lighting and shadows which renders facelights unecessary even more so..total white out in some cases

So here is the solution without having to scream at those individuals and cause upset.

Control Alt D to enable the Develop Menu

Go to Rendering , then scroll down to 'Render attached lights' and click tick off disable.

You will never see another facelight!

Simerion wrote:

Excellent tip, thank you. Can I ask what other attached lights that might have an effect on? Is that toggle strictly for facelights?

It affects all attached lights.  SL has no way of knowing is it a facelight or some other light one might be wearing.  So, all attached lights are treated the same way.

Skygirl Kline wrote:

Often we are blinded by some avatars appearing in a room wearing multiple facelights, and with the latest subtle lighting and shadows which renders facelights unecessary even more so..total white out in some cases

So here is the solution without having to scream at those individuals and cause upset.

Control Alt D to enable the Develop Menu

Go to Rendering , then scroll down to 'Render attached lights' and click tick off disable.

You will never see another facelight!

There's two problems with this.

First, despite Griffin's arguments to the contrary, not all attached lights are equal. Some are abusive and obnoxious, some are perfectly fine and some even add to the SL experience in a positive way for everyone. The only problem are the abusive ones that negatively impact the experience of others.

Second, if you're one of the majority of SL users unable to run deferred rendering (shadows) then you are limited to 6 local light sources. For whatever reason, disabling attached lights does not prevent them from counting against your local light limit.

Disabling attached lights is a good tip in a pinch, when you just need to momentarily deal with some abusive light attachments, but it's not a setting I'd rely on by default.

As others pointed out, two other options are to "mute" someone with offensive levels of attached lights, and to use the "derender" feature on either the attachment(s) or the avatars themselves. I'm not sure if the lights still count towards your local light limit when using these features, but it can get rid of an abusive light source without disabling all attached lights.

Penny Patton wrote:
For whatever reason, disabling attached lights does not prevent them from counting against your local light limit.

If I'm reading this correctly, that hasn't been the case for a looooong time.

ETA: Release Notes for Second Life 1.23.4 - June 15, 2009

Fixed: VWR-9393[c]: 1.21 RC: Disabled attached lights still count towards 6 light limit

Yes I should have pointed out that this could be a solution mainly for those lucky enough to be able to run with the new deferred lighting system which makes facelights redundant as you get gorgeous natural looking shadows and lighting over  faces, skins etc....that is until somebody TP's in wearing a facelight and most of our view contrasts out white.

Glow still works though..even if attached...good news for tentacle lovers.

About the torchlights.
How many torchlights I've seen? I can't remember, maybe 1.
How many Facelights I've seen (b4 I switched them off)? I can't remember, maybe millions :)

So I don't have a problem switching 'em off. :)

Shortly I came to a place, was dark, not many details visible. Looked exactly as I'd have expected for that kind of environment and atmosphere. I remembered on Facelights and flipped the switch ON to check. I saw 10 bright spots. Only subtle lights this time but even that was completely inappropriate - nobody was wearing a torchlight btw. Flipped switch back to OFF position. Lights off - much better.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Penny Patton wrote:
For whatever reason, disabling attached lights does not prevent them from counting against your local light limit.

If I'm reading
correctly, that hasn't been the case for a looooong time.

ETA: Release Notes for Second Life
- June 15, 2009

Fixed:
: 1.21 RC: Disabled attached lights still count towards 6 light limit

I stand happily corrected!

Nice tip for noobs, but totally defeats the purpose of putting any effort into how you look. A high majority of people do not change rendering or windlight settings at all, and should not have to just because some selfish jacka$$ decides that they're "speshial" enough to ruin the views of everyone else around them. Not buying it.. no way. Part of "growing up" in SL is learning what effect you and your things have on everyone else that's here to enjoy things too. Noobs get a pass, but experienced AVs who should know better will get the "upset" every..single.. time. I'll shout suggest in open chat that everyone who doesn't enjoy basking in this persons wannabe glow should derender or mute them immediately, and I'll repeat it as much as necessary. Let's see how long the joy of being the "light of the party" lasts when nobody can see their a$$! Attachable lights are just like guns.. use them properly and they're a valuable tool, use them wrong and you have already earned the disdain you get... end of story.

face lights are not against the TOS..harrassment is though..

saying someone doesn't get a free pass standing on someone elses land and embarrassing them in public chat is kind of taking it a bit too far don't you think?that is griefing someone..

i could see maybe on my own land if it bugged me that much..but i don't take my own set of rules and place them on others land for everyone there to go by..

our rights like that stop at our border of lands we own..

i hope you were just trying to make a point rather about how much they bug you than really doing that to people..

ETA: i'm not very big on facelights myself..but i use them for pictures..and sometimes it is easy to forget you have them on..mainly because mine doesn't show that much..just a little highlighting on my cheeks..

i would hope if it bothered someone they would just IM me and i would gladly take it off..what others wear  i don't care..even if it is blasting  blinding light..i'm used to all kinds of things like that in sl..bling  being one of them and blinding facelights..i'm used to adjusting.. i'm always playing withmy settings anyways..so it's really not a big deal for me to tone them down some with my settings if it really boters me..

the drama is just not worth getting upset over them for me..they have been around so long that i don't really take that much notice of them or have gotten used to them actually hehehe

That's like getting mad at people who still wear long flexi hair that goes through their body when they dance around, it ruins the immersive experience for others.

Even if someone has been on for years doesn't mean they know how things work or look like to others, there is no required course to complete and their are no exams to pass to move on to the next level.

Instead of blatantly harassing the person who most probably does not even realize how bright they are to others, you would probably do much better to send them a photo of how they appear to you. Then they can decide to mute you or not. 

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

*checks the time and waits for the rest of the Anti-Facelight Brigade to show up, because we absolutely need another ten-page thread about them*

No Griffin, I wear a respecful facelight and I'm part of the Anti-self-entitlement / Anti-general-disrespect-for-others brigade. People who treat others as if they were less than that get the same in return, and I'm not shy about it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.