Changing Your AV changing you???

NealCrz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just wondered if anyone else as they change thier av has been chnaged in rl at all?  I bought a great pair of jeans in RL to match the ones i loved in SL lol.  And Neal's shape has encouraged me to spend more time in the gym.   Tryng ot get my SL abs in RL lol.  In any case I feeeeeel great in Rl as a result so i guess SL has given back to me in RL :).

My goal lol.  Well seeeeeeeeeee :) hahahahaha

Neals Abs.jpg

UncommonTruth wrote:

Well as a result of my SL wardrobe, I've for the most part given up wearing panties under my clothes in rl. :smileysurprised: :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Hey, how do handle the uncomfortable rubbing jeans might cause? :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

I think my avatar has caused me to experiment with more hairstyles in rl and change it more often. I think I am also more aware of how things are made. I also am more into makeup than I used to be. I also wear more brighter colors more often.

Actually, now that I think about it, there are a lot of things exploring and experimenting with my avatar has changed about my RL. I probably should dwell on this awhile before I blurt out too much :P

Coby Foden wrote:

UncommonTruth wrote:

Well as a result of my SL wardrobe, I've for the most part given up wearing panties under my clothes in rl. :smileysurprised: :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Hey, how do handle the uncomfortable rubbing jeans might cause? :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Ohh well that's the easy part, just don't wear pants.

As far as clothes go i cant say that SL has influenced my shopping.

I've pretty much always dressed SL as I do in RL.

But what may be a bad SL influence is occasionally I will find myself thinking, "Wow that girl has nice (breast) physics."

this is interesting. I mean knowing that Uncommon Truth doesn't wear undies in RL... Oh wait... that is not the point here... :D

But for real, sometimes SL can be used as a sort of "testing ground" for certain things. Maybe looks, fashion, etc...

A time or two I have either replicated my avatar's look or maybe altered her outfits to match my RL ones.

Your avatar can be a good friend in that way. Amazing how "pixels on a screen" can have such a powerful effect... Hey, if an abstract character in a virtual world can give someone motivation to be their RL best, who isn't for that?

I admit though - my avatar has a shape I can not even hope to have in RL. No, cause she actually has good hips. She is a bit more plus size than the RL Erin though. Probably cause she eats all my ice cream and pizzas.

For Neal - yeah some time down the road when you have a good physique and if people ask how you did it, you can say, "Playing video games helped" and you will be telling the truth :D

Cool perspective Erin, thanks.

I started wondering after reading your notes if virtual dressing is used by modeling agencies etc before the actual show.

In searching around turns out their is about 30 companies making money providing this service.  And those are 2D.  SL could blow them away in 3D if  thier was a light spinoff version for websites.  I noticed stores like Brides.com, Nike, Kohls, and United Sytles are already using this.  One site claims 58M simulations for their customers already.   Here is one of the 30 I saw in searching for a few minutes.  It mixes trialing things with an advisors input.   Another one I saw actually simulates changes in the person, older, thinner etc.  Of course there have been hair ones for a while now at companies like Clairol shown below.

http://www.mvm.com/index.html

http://www.clairol.com/en-US/virtual-makeover

For me I'm only 7 away from my final goal.  Hey if UT was liberated,  there's hope for others :).  

I do think virtual modeling will be in our future as more and more as tools that have been professionally avaialble make their way on to websites, laptops, and cell phones.

Still working on sprouting that tail... Anyday now, I'm sure of it.

Ha, well not really. My experences in SL, have actually encouraged me to be a little more out going in person. ~ It's not that I'm a Xenophobe, but, meeting strangers can bring on some anxiety, sometimes.

My Avi is very much me; as identical as I (with help from others) could make it. So I would expect it would be the other way around. I haven't changed over the last few years, except for a few years older. Clothes that I make for SL are either clothes that I have bought for myself (in RL) or that I would like to buy if they made them. So, as styles change slightly, what I make in SL changes slightly. My "work clothes" (suits) have changed very little over the past few years.

One thing that I have noticed is that, when picking out clothes (suits for work or dresses), I tend to prefer things that can be easily made for SL using GIMP and uploading texture files, or things that work well in SL. For example, in SL patterns on skirts will get very distorted as the legs move. Also, if there are vertical elements in the pattern on a dress, it is difficult (but not impossible) to align them correctly between a shirt and a skirt files. I sometimes seem to avoid these in RL. 

For example, I just bought a dress that, although the top part has a primarily vertical pattern, where (in SL) the skirt line would be the pattern shifted to horizontal. My reaction, on seeing that, is that would really be good in SL. So I bought it (I liked it for other reasons as well). I now have a similar one in SL.

Also, I recently made a cute lace panty for my avi. Then I found and bought a similar one for my RL self.

@Aluminum:  Great comment.  I"ve met at least two people working on thier PHD in human studies that mentioned similiar findings in their studies of SL.

@Marybeth:  Now I know why I failed at making SL clothes, lol.  I never could get things to line up.   I do think SL has some amazing artist and I know one myself that has sent me several textures they did in RL first and are now bringing to SL.  So it makes sense to me there could be some parallels as you mention.

After being on SL for over 6 years,  and all the hours many of us put into this simulator,  that it would spill over in one way or another to RL.   Seems that is part of being human that our experiences tend to shape our futures in some way or another.  :)

MoiselleErin Teardrop wrote:

But for real, sometimes SL can be used as a sort of "testing ground" for certain things. Maybe looks, fashion, etc...

Well, I have to confess.

Actually,

The truth is,

I've never been tempted to dye my skin green in RL.

(or to wear a dress)

NealCrz:

I have always thought that the SL technology would be a great way to make a "quick and dirty" picture of a model wearing clothes for a website or online catalog. It would be a particularly good way to show multiple items together.

Do you know of any on-line "makeover" or "fitting rooms" similar to the Clairol one but by clothing stores?

I have often seen, on major department store websites, a picture of a model wearing one piece of clothing. It was for sale in several colors, and clicking on the colors the color of the clothing in the picture changed, but it was the same picture of the model (looking at a close up of stray hairs - the color of the clothing would change but not the stray hair).

Recently a colleague showed me an online catalog from a major store looking at lingerie and sleepwear. She showed me pictures of the same model with a couple of different styles of bras (not just different colors, but different styles), a night gown, and a house coat. In all, the hair of the model (at a high magnification) was the same - same stray hairs. Apparently they used one picture of the model and placed several pictures of different clothing over it.

Just the ones I mentioned only becasue i looked them up.  After seeing your question, I did go to brides.com with a friend whos getting married and she tried it, it was very rudamentory and almost insulting it was so bad, lol. 

I see a market for a real html or flash plug in possibly driven by the SL engine as virtualization reaches the consumer.  If someone could make it work with mobile devices, woah!

Both ways actually. My dressing tends to be more conserative in real life, so I tend to go for the more conservative outfits (or at least, as conserative as SL allows). However, some of the outfits I've seen in SL has given me inspiration for some of my real life outfits, while at the same time, I've bought items similar to the ones I own in real life. I found a very pretty pair of boots that remind me of those super cool boots I own in real life!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4280 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.