I turned V Sync on and at 60 fps it's a bit choppy.

Kwakkelde Kwak

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

As the titlle says.

I recently bought a new shiny computer and it generates too many fps to my likings, I don't mind fluent movement, but framerates well over 100 on ultra settings are a bit over the top since my monitor has a 60 Hz refreshrate. The card can get quite warm, not at its limit or even close, but 70 C is warm.

So I turned on VSynch in the NVidia control panel, at adaptive, that lowers the temp to about 40 C.

One would think 60 fps would look silky smooth, but it looks kind of choppy to me. Does anyone have any idea why?

EDIT... triple buffering seems to help, thanks.

And the 45fps of the sim has, as far as I understand, got nothing to do with the fps you can get onscreen. A lot of things happen client side, like camera movement and certain script movements even. At 100 fps it was actually silky smooth.

2 answers to this question

Kwakkelde,

My guess would be that the updates you are receiving from the region/server you are standing in are not coming to your PC at anywhere close to that rate. The best possible frame rate for a region usually hovers around 45 fps but at your PC this is determined by the speed of your internet connection and how fast the update information is being processed.

Bottom line is lag will still be lag. It just will not be added to by your PC proper. The Region/Server & Internet components are now in the driver seat.

Go back into the NVidia Control Panel and try enabling Triple Buffering as well as VSync.  See if that helps smooth your performance.  BTW, I am not running with a GPU that is anywhere near as sophisticated as yours, but mine runs consistently at a little below 40 degrees C.  I'd consider 70 degrees to be more than "warm".  I hope you have good ventilation and a monster heat sink.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4270 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.