Sea level above land at sim edge

Ianto Ghost

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Since a recent FS update the sim, on which I have a parcel of land, appears to be several feet below sea level. The whole area has dropped.

The sim owner and others who visit cannot see this, although some of my friends can.

I waited for this week's roll outs to see if the issue would be fixed by the usual maintenance but the problem is still there.

7 answers to this question

Right now there is one of the periodic cage matches going on between groups who want two fundamentally opposed things. One group wants sea level outside the sim to match custom water levels on the sim and the other wants the sea level outside the sim to stay at the default 20 meters in height even if the water level in the sim is set at a different level. One of these settings is what was the original behavior was meant to be and the other is the result of a long-standing bug that many people got used to and set up sims to take advantage of.  

This setting is viewer-determined and recently this setting has been changing back and forth in viewers as Linden Lab and TPV providers have been trying to satisfy first one and then the other group. The only way everyone will be happy is if a special setting is added to the options of the sim to determine which behavior is used - this has been proposed by a Linden but there's no ETA on when it will happen.

• Like 4

A problem to one person seems to be a feature to another.

The subject of sea levels was discussed at one of Oskar Linden's Beta Server User Groups. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Beta_Server_Office_Hours/Minutes/2012-06-14

As this is already in the public domain, I am breaching no ToS/Community Standards by adding in the relevant part of the log here:

[15:55] Sigma Avro: I have a metaphysical question about sea level

• [15:56] Sigma Avro: If one changes sea level in a sim, how should this imapct neighbouring sims ?
  • [15:56] Moundsa Mayo: Instantaneous change at boundaries.
  • [15:56] Oskar Linden: they're not affected
  • [15:56] Sigma Avro: how should it be seen from child agents ?
  • [15:56] Oskar Linden: their level stays the same
  • [15:56] Oskar Linden: and they see the water raised
  • [15:56] Oskar Linden: at the sim border
  • [15:56] Nalates Urriah: We have stair shaped water in SL
  • [15:57] Sigma Avro: Well, it is because 20 meters depth is not a lot, and in private continent some are wushing to have it larger
  • [15:57] arton Rotaru: when I zoom into the neighboring regions, I see the under water view when going lower the sea level of Morris
  • [15:57] Rex Cronon: it would make more sense to have gradual ghance
  • [15:57] Rex Cronon: change*
  • [15:57] Lares Carter: If your avatar is in a region with high water lever and you alt+cam in a neighboring region then you get underwater effects at the wrong height.
  • [15:57] Sigma Avro: so from around this continent it should not be seen as a step
  • [15:57] Moundsa Mayo: You can set it to 100m and it won't crush prims!
  • [15:58] Sigma Avro: It is a real problem for me
  • [15:58] Maestro Linden: Well, it used to be that the viewer would render water in all other regions (including void areas) at 20m always
  • [15:58] Maestro Linden: then that bug was fixed so that the sea level was consistent with the current region's
  • [15:59] Sigma Avro: yes, well, the way to solve it is not always easy I suppose, because one sim may want somthing, and another somthing else
  • [15:59] Maestro Linden: and now there are complaints that regions with impossible configurations (one region's see level at 100m, with its neighbor at 20m) look funny
  • [15:59] Maestro Linden: the only solution is waterfalls

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moni Duettmann said:

The two Shermerville sims have different sea levels at their sim border. That's pretty annoying and does not make any sense. But support has long gone. You don't get anything done here anymore.

Ask the LDPW to build a damn... they had 6 years to fix it - nothing happened - now just let @Patch Lindenpatch it with some cosmetics ;)

3 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Ask the LDPW to build a damn... they had 6 years to fix it - nothing happened - now just let @Patch Lindenpatch it with some cosmetics ;)

Necropost.

I've seen a few places in SL where there are water level differences. One does have a waterfall, and you can boat through it. In either direction.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.