Issues with uploading and downloading images

Lusus Saule

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am having problems uploading images to SL as well as saving snapshots to my PC. Strangely, I can send an image by email from within SL and save a snapshot to my inventory, but not directly to my hard drive.

I initially thought the problem might be caused by my firewall, but this does not seem to be the case. I have uninstalled SL then reinstalled it to see if this resolves the issue. When first installed I can in fact upload images, but once I log out of SL, then log back in I lose the ability to upload images again. I'm sure a firewall issue would prevent me uploading to SL altogether.

It also occurred to me that Windows might be the cause of the problem. I have only been using Windows 7 for about one month, so wondered if some security setting was preventing me from uploading to SL. This seems unlikely however for the same reasons as the firewall not being the cause.

I have also tried using 3 different viewers, (Viewer 2, Firestorm and the Beta Viewer) to see if the issue was viewer related, but the problem occurs with all three.

After checking what I can, I am now wondering if this is a LL server issue and whether anyone else has had the same problem. Also if anyone knows of a solution I would be relieved to hear it.

BTW, I do have $L to pay for uploads, so that is not the cause of the problem.

I used to have a problem saving snapshots to my computer. What I did to solve the problem was make a new folder to save them to. Apparently my default folder had become too full. I make one for each month now. However, I don't see why that would prevent uploads, unless it is a similar issue.

I use Windows 7 and this problem was with Viewer 3. 

Thanks Charolotte for the info. My PC is quite new and I don't really have any full folders, so that isn't the problem. When I try to upload an image the picture folder doesn't appear onscreen anyway because SL freezes up.

I have discovered that SL also freezes when I try to select the location of the chat history folder, so I am guessing the issue is related to SL connecting to my PC somehow.

The question appears to be, is this due to my PC or is the problem caused at LL's end?

Well, I am no good at technical or computer stuff, but if you have tried 3 different viewers and have the same issue, I would guess that it might possibly be something on your end.

Although, it could very well be the other way around.

Here is a link to someone who had the same problem as you it seems, but they never said if the suggestion helped or not:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Issues-saving-snaps-amp-uploading-files-Anyone-help-Thnx/m-p/1290075/highlight/true#M10650

If you have tried three viewers there is a equally good chance that it is a SL problem.  Here is how this little spin game is played, first blame thrid party viewers, then when that is ruled out blame the players isp or computer, you choose, but never accept the fact that there may be major problems in either the regional servers or in the central core severs that route most of the informotion that SL runs on to the regional servers and hence our viewers.  The truth is upload failures are fairly common now in sl and to avoid them you may have to relog sl or even your computer, but dont expect a linden to tell you this or one of their minions who haunt the forums to try to disparage any criticism of Linden Labs and the effectivness of its programming.

Thanks Charlotte and Alexi for your help and advice, but I think I have finally managed to find a solution to the problem. The cause seems to be something to do with Windows 7, so this is what I did:

First I opened the task manager (Crtl- Alt- Del). Then I right clicked on Second Life under Processes. I then clicked on Properties. Then under the Compatibility tab I set SL to run in compatibility mode For Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Press OK, close the task manager and you should be ready to start saving pics!

Hi Dilbert

I'm using Windows 7 Home edition. I should point out that if anyone is having a similar problem they don't actually need to open the task manager. (Ihad the task manger open because I was checking if there was a memory peak when I tried to upload or save an image).

Instead they can navigate to their program files and the SL viewer folder, then right click on the SL application, From there set it to run under Windows XP (service pack 3) compatibility mode.

The only downside to this is that every time time I start SL I am asked if I want to allow SL to make changes to my PC, but thats a very minor inconvenience.

• 3 months later...

Lusus Saule wrote:

Thanks Charlotte and Alexi for your help and advice, but I think I have finally managed to find a solution to the problem. The cause seems to be something to do with Windows 7, so this is what I did:

First I opened the task manager (Crtl- Alt- Del). Then I right clicked on Second Life under Processes. I then clicked on Properties. Then under the Compatibility tab I set SL to run in compatibility mode For Windows XP (Service Pack 3).

Press OK, close the task manager and you should be ready to start saving pics!

Lusus .. i toss rose petals at your feet! tytyty ... you fixed my photo problem that had been driving me crazy!  Using the XP option fixed the upload and download issues i was having!  many, many thanks! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4183 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.