Zoom in to nearby person

Susan Kenin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have just gotten back on SL after an absense. I now have a new computer and I am using the latest version of Firefox. There are new features, I don't know what is because I am using Firefox and what is really new.

One thing that is new (too me) is the zoom in feature on the People window. With "nearby" avatars shown, right click on a person in the list and one of the option is to "zome in". That let's you see people who are nearby enough to show up on the "nearby" list, but are out of sight.

I know this will let you see people who think they are in a private place. Does this let you see people in dressing rooms in stores? Is there anyway to turn this off so people can't see you when you want privacy? Is there anyway to tell if someone, out of sight, is looking at you?

Susan

Susan Kenin wrote:

...But can I prevent others from seeing me when I think that I am in a private place and want some privacy - like in a dressing room?

Not in the viewer, but the parcel owner can remove a check mark from: "Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel" in ABOUT LAND / OPTIONS

In that case you will be completely invisible to people outside the parcel and they will be invisible to you

As Dora posted - it's the job of the land owner to set pacels you can't look in or out at avatars.

Firestorm allows to move the camera with ease but even with a Linden viewer you can push your camera whereever you want it. It's only more difficult.

There is to add:
- You can show the points where other avatars cameras point at. (show lookat)
- You can prevent that YOUR camera target point is made visible that way. (privacy/lookat)

So now you know how to perv and how to prevent perving. :)

Nova,

I turned on the show lookat, I see the cross hairs and names of avatars looking at people. I assume that would show anyone else looking at me, so, when in a dressing room or private place I would see that someone is "peeping". Correct?

Does the privacy/lookat prevent other people from knowing that I am looking at them? If a "peeping tom" had that turned off, could he look at me without my knowing?

Thanks

Dora Gustafson wrote:

Susan Kenin wrote:

...But can I prevent others from seeing me when I think that I am in a private place and want some privacy - like in a dressing room?

Not in the viewer, but the parcel owner can remove a check mark from:
"Avatars on other parcels can see and chat with avatars on this parcel"
in ABOUT LAND / OPTIONS

In that case you will be completely invisible to people outside the parcel and they will be invisible to you

You can always check where ever you are whether or not Privacy is turned on in "About Land."

If you are in a place that you'd expect privacy like  a dressing room, you may want  to suggest to the parcel owner (I'm assuming this would be a Merchant) that they turn it on.

Also note, that when you are in a parcel that has Privacy enabled, you can not cam out either.

Why are you worried about someone seeing your avatar in a dressing room? I don't understand why people are so uptight about their bodies. I would just as well change in the store. If they tell me to use a dressing room, I would have no problem with others seeing in.

Bob

Susan Kenin wrote:

Nova,

I turned on the show lookat, I see the cross hairs and names of avatars looking at people. I assume that would show anyone else looking at me, so, when in a dressing room or private place I would see that someone is "peeping". Correct?

Does the privacy/lookat prevent other people from knowing that I am looking at them? If a "peeping tom" had that turned off, could he look at me without my knowing?

Thanks

In Firestorm one can switch off that cross hair (privacy/lookat/don't send...) so you don't see where that avatar is looking at. So if you see no cross hairs on you that doesn't mean nobody is looking.

Another thing is: the cross hair only shows the point the camera looks at. So if the wall behind you is targeted the crosshair is in the wall but the camera can still have you in the focus. The crosshair os only on you if someone directly targeted your avatar.

When that was new (years ago) I checked a bit where ppl are looking at - but I didn't use that for a long time now. I don't wanna know anymore. It's not important and not my business. As for dressing rooms - I personally don't care - you can make a dressing room with transparent walls in the middle of the shop - no problem for me. :) I doubt that there are even many that look, there is plenty of nudity in SL so no need to peek into dressing rooms.

For a safe dressing room the shop owner needs to define sub parcels and set the visibility flag for them. I doubt that most even know that this exists.

That is how some men think. You like to show off what you have.

For me, I would be very uncomfortable if, in SL almost as much as RL, I was in a dressing room and some pervert was watching. In SL, as in RL, if you want to see a naked body it is easy to do so. So I don't know why anyone would want to see someone undressing in a dressing room or other private place. But I know that some people do. I have seen the "cross hairs" from someone else on my avi when in a dressing room.

The ability to move a cam to someone within sight is OK. In fact, very useful if you want to get a close up or center your view on that person. But what I don't like is the ability to watch a person who is otherwise out of sight, like in a dressing room or other room with a closed door.

RobertThorp wrote:

Why are you worried about someone seeing your avatar in a dressing room? I don't understand why people are so uptight about their bodies. I would just as well change in the store. If they tell me to use a dressing room, I would have no problem with others seeing in.

Bob

Maybe she doesn't like the idea of some guy jizzing to the sight of her body?

Does this equal being uptight about her body?

I too like the ability to pick someone who is within sight to focus on (ctrl-alt and click on avi). I frequently am in a group, I pick the middle avi in the group and focus on her. Then, pulling my camera back I can see the entire group (usually). But I don't like the "zoom-to" feature in the radar window in Firestorm, where I can focus on someone not otherwise visible.

It is not that I am uptight about my body. In RL I have been on certain beaches in Germany and France and dressed appropriately (topless or naked). I wear a skimpy bikini on US beaches. I dress in professional suits when working in the office or in court, casually when working in the yard.  I am the same way in SL.

But in RL I would be horrified and mad if someone surreptitiously peeped into a dressing room when I was trying on a bra. Likewise, in SL I do not like someone staring at me when I am undressed in a place, such as a dressing room or empty room with a closed door. Since I make my clothes, including lingerie, I am frequently trying clothes to make adjustments in the texture. The other day I was in a closed room looking at a half made bra, with only one side made. Then some one with a male first name IMed me commenting on my exposed boob. I did not appreciate that at all. Since I learned how, I have turned on the "cross hair" feature and I display the avi names of those watching me. Just the other day I IMed someone who was "peeping" into a private area.

I am sure that some of the people with "relationships" in SL would not like people watching them have sex.

Since there are "adult" areas and nude areas in SL, anyone who peeps into a private area such as a dressing room or someone's bedroom is, in my opinion, a pervert. But they do exist in SL.

You know when I first read this I didn' t think it was possible. I thought the third party viewers could defeat this. I just tested it and does indeed work. I am even on estate and it worked. I set our store to this option and as soon someone walked on the parcel they poofed. And I could not cam in them via the radar menu. Says they are out of my draw distance.

However if you are on that parcel you can see and hear everything. So for it to work each dressing room would have to be its own parcel and in order to cominucate with someone you would have to do it via IM or leave the parcel. And it also means that even the owner of the store or sim cannot see onto those parcels. Which means someone could go into them and do what they want. Like start copybotting the store, griefing others or even have wild crazy sex. I guess the sex thing is no big deal since no one can see it lol.

What I find odd is that in the 3 and a half years I have been in sl I have never seen anyone actually use this feature.

Vladi Hazelnut wrote: And it also means that even the owner of the store or sim cannot see onto those parcels. Which means someone could go into them and do what they want. Like start copybotting the store, griefing others or even have wild crazy sex. I guess the sex thing is no big deal since no one can see it lol.

First off, I don't see how not being able to CAM  an Ava would facilitate griefing or copybot.  They are still visible both on Radar and Mini Map.  It's not like Copyboters have special animations that tell you they are copybotting.

Vladi Hazelnut wrote:

What I find odd is that in the 3 and a half years I have been in sl I have never seen anyone actually use this feature.

This function is only a year old. 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Hiding-avatars-and-restricting-avatar-sounds/ta-p/999779

Technically speaking, if you are engaging in "adult" activities on Moderate land, you are supposed to 'hide' these activities.  This is a big tool for doing that.

What does "behind closed doors" mean?

Adult activity on Moderate land must be conducted "behind closed doors," meaning that you must make every reasonable effort to ensure that the parcel is private. This means:

• Allow only a group or specific individuals access to the parcel. If it is group-access only, the group must not be freely open to join.
  • Hide avatars (turn off avatar visibility) for the parcel.
  • Enclose the area behind walls or other visual barriers.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Adult_Content_FAQ#What_does_.22behind_closed_doors.22_mean.3F

I have seen it implemented though its use is still not widespread.

Parrie, Thanks for the information.

---

Vlaidi, "What I find odd is that in the 3 and a half years I have been in sl I have never seen anyone actually use this feature."

You would have no way of knowing that anyone was using it unless you turned on the feature to display other avi's targets. I didn't know.

---

Marybeth, I feel the same way as you, in RL and SL. What I wear, in both RL and SL, depends upon the circumstances. However, you are braver that I. I have traveled to Germany, but never had the nerve to venture onto a topless or nude beach.

In both RL and SL, if a male wants to look at female private parts they can look at someone else's. There is plenty available. 

RobertThorp wrote:

Bob,
NO

But I think we are going to be at the same pool party next month, you can see me in my lastest bikini.

I just made a similar one in SL, you can see my avi wearing that also.

Mary

methinks you forgot to switch log ins there bob... either that or you are talking to your self.. which is kinda scary in a forum.

Susan Kenin wrote:

Parrie, Thanks for the information.

---

Vlaidi, "
"

You would have no way of knowing that anyone was using it unless you turned on the feature to display other avi's targets. I didn't know.

The other way to know as far as the parcel YOU are on is to look in the 'about land' settings.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3506 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.