How to report a hacked account of a friend or report to closed it down since he is already dead

VioletaGrace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

What Roseysun says is absolutely true, that only the official next-of-kin/executors of someone's estate, can have a deceased person's account closed down, but I can understand how upsetting this must be for you to see their avatar come online, after they've passed on in real life. 

Do you know the person in real life, or was it a friendship based in Second Life only?  As you will be on their friend list, have you attempted to speak to the person?  You could just say "hello, Stranger", and see what transpires.  It could just be that the people who are dealing with your friend's affairs already knew about Second Life, and have accessed Second Life under this account now, simply because they are grieving for them too, or are just transferring objects over to another account.

It is unlikely that your friend's account has been hacked in the illegal accessing meaning of the word, but it does sound like a difficult situation for you.  I try to think what I would do in your position, and I think I would actually drop a line to LL, probably via a support ticket, and let them look into the situation.  They can use their discretion and God powers to peek in further, see what's really happening.

• Like 2

Marigold has some very good advice...I will repeat it, but I'm going to be a bit more blunt.

How do you KNOW your friend has died?  Unfortunately, a great many people fake their "death" in Real Life in order to get out of a Second Life relationship that has become tedious to them.  This can, of course, be tremendously upsetting to their SL friends.  Some sick people even fake death or serious injury or illness simply to attract sympathy from others.

This reprehensible form of lying is, I'm sad to say, so common in SL (and on other social interaction places all over the web) that these days I never believe the report of someone's death unless I can get Real Life corroboration...a death notice in a newspaper, for example.  Or a phone call from someone I know in RL who knows the deceased person in RL.

If you see your "dead" friend on line, their account might be hacked.  More likely, it is the original operator, who is not dead at all.  Or possibly it is a friend or relative of the original operator, who has been given access to the account, or found the password (the most common way is for the operator to leave "remember my password" checked on their login screen.)

I repeat:  Any reports of death via Second Life, or any internet social media, are highly suspect.  What can you do about that?  Not much.  Move on, find new friends.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.