why won't second life run on windows 7 when it worked on vista?

buckbh Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

ok,. so when i bought this laptop, it had windows vista loaded on it, and only 800mb of ram. second life didnt have any problems before, and now..... i have loaded windows 7 onto this laptop, updated my memory to 2 gigs and have downloaded all the updates for my drivers and devices that i can find. but all i get is black screen, i cant see anything when it loads up. if i move my mouse around after launching i can find a place to type, but no idea what it is. why wont it run....please help.

and in case you didnt understand....i cant see ANYTHING at all. nothing, so i cant go into preferences or any of that.

here is some info on my laptop windows 7 professional 32-bit (6.1, build 7601)
toshiba satellite a215
AMD turion(tm) 64x2 mobile technology TL (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
2048MB Ram
Directx 11
ATI Radeon x1200 series (0x79 1F)
internal DAC(400MHz)
830 MB
1280 x 800 (32 bit)(60hz)

and here is a link for a screen shot of what its doing http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/load-up-errors-on-my-viewers/qaq-p/1512411

4 answers to this question

Hi buckbh,

Please open the viewer to login screen and select Me > Preferences > Help > About, then copy/paste the computer details from that window into your post using Options > Edit to the right of your post. If you know the specific graphics card rather than the series which is usually shown in the window, all the better.

oh ok, can't even see Preferences. You can get system information including graphics card by selecting Run from the Start menu, type in dxdiag and then look at the system and display tabs (or type dxdiag in the search bar at the bottom and then click the dxdiag program exe).

Ok, well I can see your problem now. Your laptop is using an old ATI x1200 card and ATI/AMD do not support it with Windows 7, only Vista so I guess there are compatibility issues between the ATI legacy driver and Windows 7. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/radeonaiw_vista32.aspx

Your best bet is to contact Toshiba Support and ask them if there is an ATI x1200 graphics card driver for your laptop with Windows 7 installed but I doubt it if even ATI/AMD won't supply one. Otherwise, I think you'll have to reinstall Vista or buy a new laptop.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.