Roman Godde

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 day probably.

But you won't really meet all those folks. They're popping in and out constantly - and likely about a fifth to a third of concurrency is just them.

For active people, I'd wager is about 1 year. Most people quit SL between 9 and 15 months... There's always a clump of people a few months around their 1 year rezday.

Probably a fourth of people are younger than that. A fourth in that group, and the remaining are that cluster of new today people, and olbies that made it past 15 months.

Most of the ones I see are depicted as young adults, in the 18 to 29 age range. After all, the main grid of SL was intended as an 18+ environment until recently, when they allowed the 16 and 17 year olds onto the main grid. And when you can appear however you want to, few people will choose to appear much older than an attractive 20-something adult.

My own avatars range in appearance from as young as eight to as old as several hundred years (in the case of a dragon avatar). My main avatar has a physical appearance of being about 27 years old, but in roleplay terms she's actually over 700 years old, and uses magic to prolong her life and youthful appearance.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

I think he was going for the "average age depicted" as opposed to the average age based on rez date.

Oh ok. In that case I'd say the average 'ADULT' avatar looks about 16 to 25. Child AVs usually try to look under 5. "Older" AVs usually try to look over 80. Most people avoid the middle because that's too personal. :D

- And just try and find a skin / shape meant to represent a 40-50 year old anyway... There are some. But the fact that most of them could be named in a single paragraph... Sort of thins the options, even for the folks who desire that look.

My avatar is the same as I am in RL, not just age but also appearance, as far as possible anyway without me having to pay for custom made skin and so on.

I am 39, so is my avatar's look.

It was an absolute hell finding a skin for me, everyone seems to want to be either 20-something, so if you decide to be old, you immediatly end up with skins for granny.

And even when I did found skins for 30, 40, 50 year old women, they still looked stunning.

They didn't look like real elderly women, they looked like elderly models.

And as I never wear makeup in RL, I didn't want to wear it in SL either.

So finding the skin to match RL me was very difficult.

But I'm not to unhappy with the one I ended up with.

Eventually I may just go ahead and scan my rl face.

Snapshot_025.jpg

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

1 day probably.

But you won't really meet all those folks. They're popping in and out constantly - and likely about a fifth to a third of concurrency is just them.

For active people, I'd wager is about 1 year. Most people quit SL between 9 and 15 months... There's always a clump of people a few months around their 1 year rezday.

Probably a fourth of people are younger than that. A fourth in that group, and the remaining are that cluster of new today people, and olbies that made it past 15 months.

relatively young myself, but of my friends, about 2/3 are between 2 months and a year, the rest evenly split between >1 year and <2 months...

Very small sample size I know, and no doubt influenced in part by my own age (I've seen more than a few older avatars who refuse to even speak to anyone who has a "resident" name for example...).

My avatar is not to dissimilar looking to myself (more attractive than me though) and as I am 24, I think my avatar is quite true to age. But in saying that most avatars look round this age no matter how old the operator is; this is a second life afterall, many people want to be a different person than they are in RL.

Lyyli Vaher wrote:

My avatar is not to dissimilar looking to myself (more attractive than me though) and as I am 24, I think my avatar is quite true to age. But in saying that most avatars look round this age no matter how old the operator is; this is a second life afterall, many people want to be a different person than they are in RL.

oh..ya mine is pretty close to my age..although i look younger than my actual age in rl anyways..thats what people say to me a lot anyways hehehe..and i still get carded just about anywhere i go...

in avatars i see age difference more in women avatars than i do really the men avatars..

like when they add a beard and stuff they tend to look older..where women ..i think it is much easier to adjust our age..

a couple of small little tweaks here and there and i can look 15 or 30 real fast..

and a skin can really change our age..without any tweaks at all..

Jo Yardley wrote:

I am 39, so is my avatar's look.

And even when I did found skins for 30, 40, 50 year old women, they still looked stunning.

They didn't look like real elderly women, they looked like elderly models.

Eventually I may just go ahead and scan my rl face.

39 is elderly?

Some skin makers will work on a custom for a price - usually a pretty hefty price.

My guess would be that the average age depicted is 20-something too, from what I've seen.

I am trying for early 30's myself as I am in rl. My avatar doesn't look like me though, I just wanted her to look a bit mature if not much. :matte-motes-silly: 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.