New LSL editor features in the new firestorm !!!

phaedra Exonar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks, phaedra.

I have to say, I don't use the pre-processor very much.   If I'm doing the sort of scripting where that sort of functionality is going to be useful, I find it far more convenient to do it in an offline editor and then copy-paste it in (or set the viewer to use that editor, via ExternalEditor in the debug settings, in preference to the native one).    In general, though, if I'm working on a script in-world, it drives me nuts when I'm just trying to tweak somehing and an external editor starts up each time.

And I hate what the pre-processor does to my scripts -- I tend to end up with incomprehensible (to me, anyway) code with everything bracketed when it doesn't need to be, which makes debugging an absolute nightmare.

I know some people find the pre-processor very useful, though.   What am I missing out on?

Gee, I thought I was the only one, Innula.  I had my external editor cued up in Firestorm and finally shut the thing off because it was so annoying.  I tend to create a script either entirely in world or (less often) entirely in an external editor.  Hopping between the two makes a hash out of my work and is just frustrating.  I do see value in a preprocessor, although I don't use one myself.  I find it quite easy to simply cut and paste from my file of handy code snippets.

My enthusiasm for the Firestorm upgrade was fired mostly by going down the long list of other features and bug repairs that it includes, all of which are going to take a while to explore.

Being able to #include is the major pre-processor feature I'd like to explore - I have many bits and pieces that are common across projects, or maybe common within projects (shared messages, etc).

Also, I often use switches for debugging, but if you include lots of debug messages then your script memory usage goes up quite a lot with (unused if not turned on) literal strings, so having a pre-processor to exclude them in final builds would help with that.

I've used the LSL addon (which also optimises) to eclipse before for this kind of thing, but it would be really nice to see some sensible link-up of processed code to original source, for debugging - but that would have to happen in the viewer really.

... debugging optimised code is a solved problem, but not in LSL it would appear :)

Still, all sounds interesting and definiately worth a look I think.

Kimm.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4299 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.