Managing Your Parcel (About Land) Settings Updated

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was just getting back to a question I had and was going to link to the Wiki and discovered that it had been (finally) updated since I looked a week ago.  Screen shots and info have been brought up to date and/or expanded.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-your-parcel/ta-p/700113

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Group-owned-land/ta-p/700079

The prior information was around a year and a half old.

However, I still have a few questions I am not seeing the answer to, so I am also hoping someone can help me.

1. How do you stop someone from Landmarking a (my) parcel?   Is this still possible?  I know I have run into this in the past.  Is it only available for Estates or can it be done on Mainland also?

2.  Linden Homes. I have a friend with a Linden home.  Create objects and run scripts was disabled for me in their home.  Are these simply not available to a Non Linden Home resident or do they have to change the setting for their home in their viewer?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Perrie

Perrie Juran wrote:

1. How do you stop someone from Landmarking a (my) parcel?   Is this still possible?  I know I have run into this in the past.  Is it only available for Estates or can it be done on Mainland also?
It is feasable in the about land > access menu, whether on an estate or on your mainland property. (I have a Linden home which is considered as mainland and use this feature).

2.  Linden Homes. I have a friend with a Linden home.  Create objects and run scripts was disabled for me in their home.  Are these simply not available to a Non Linden Home resident or do they have to change the setting for their home in their viewer?
By default, only the owner can rez objects and run scripts in his Linden home. The owner of the home does have to set his preferences, in the about land menu as well, by allowing secific residents and/or create a group.

From the KB:
  • Your partner or friends can help you decorate as well. Linden Home parcels work just like any other parcel of land in that regard; who can rez objects on your land depends on the About Land settings.  See 
    for more information.

access.jpg

valerie Inshan wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

It is feasable in the about land > access menu, whether on an estate or on your mainland property. (I have a Linden home which is considered as mainland and use this feature).

I do not see "stopping others from creating a LM" in this tab.

I am not interested in "blocking access."

At my prior residence we (My LandLord or Myself) did not have public access blocked.  Friends could not create a LM there.  I could give them the LM and they could use it, but they could not create it themselves.    Nor did I have to add them to my allowed resident list in order for them to use it.  (I'd ask him how it was done but he is no longer in SL.)

Regarding the Linden Homes, Thank you for the info.

Ooops sorry Perrie, you are right, the "allow LM" is not featured anymore. And is was in the Options tab, not the Access one. I apologize. So it would seem anybody can landmark the place unless the land is locked. Hopefully someone will come with a bettre reply. :smileysurprised:

valerie Inshan wrote:

Ooops sorry Perrie, you are right, the "allow LM" is not featured anymore. And is was in the Options tab, not the Access one. I apologize. So it would seem anybody can landmark the place unless the land is locked. Hopefully someone will come with a bettre reply. :smileysurprised:

If that feature has been removed then we need a JIRA to have it put back in!

ohn wrote:

Just curious about the reason behind needing to do that. It never occured to me.

This feature is used for privacy and control.  If everyone is allowed to make a landmark than people who drop in uninvited, including trouble makers and griefers, can too and return over and over.. If people can make their own landmarks freely, then they can make them anywhere such as a bedroom a private sandbox, or building platform, where you wouldn't want people appearing unless invited. 

By disabling landmarks so that you can only get one from someone that lives there,not only do they control who has them but where people appear that come for a visit.

Create Landmark.JPG

I am really surprised that there hasn't been more 'noise' about this issue.

While I know there are ways around and that short of blocking access a determined person can get any where they want on the grid, why make it easy for them?

Unless I am invited to, I don't Landmark my friend's homes.  To me that just seems like common courtesy.  I am not going to use their homes or drop in uninvited.

I did some testing this morning.  You can still access and enable this function with Second Life 1.23 or Phoenix 1.5.  It is not available in the current Official Viewer,  Phoenix 1.6 or Firestorm.  I can't speak for other viewers.

Interestingly enough, someone using an older viewer will not be able to create a LM if the function is enabled.  However, someone using a current Viewer CAN create the LM.

eta to correct gammer

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

ohn wrote:

Just curious about the reason behind needing to do that. It never occured to me.

This feature is used for privacy and control.  If everyone is allowed to make a landmark than people who drop in uninvited, including trouble makers and griefers, can too and return over and over.. If people can make their own landmarks freely, then they can make them anywhere such as a bedroom a private sandbox, or building platform, where you wouldn't want people appearing unless invited. 

By disabling landmarks so that you can only get one from someone that lives there,not only do they control who has them but where people appear that come for a visit.

Additionally, it would prevent people from passing out the Landmark to your home.  Consider this scenario.

Newb:  "Where can I go to have sex with my GF."

Griefer:  "Here's a great place," passes the Newb the Landmark.

Me to Newb:  "Um, Hi.  Who are you and how did you get here and that's, um, my bed you're using."

Me:  Eject and ban

Newb:  "You  #^&&*%UOF** %$"

Me: Mute Newb

Newb: I'm quitting SL, people are just so unfriendly here!

• 3 years later...

Hi

In reply to your question 2 re: Linden Homes - yes your friend has not ticked the boxes in their About Land > Options tab.

Allow other residents to: Create Objects, Object Entry, and Run Scripts - all they have to do is tick those boxes. 

They can also set auto return on, and decide how many minutes their friends prims stay, before they poof ((this saves the owner having to go looking for any forgotten items - Linden Homes allow only 117 prims, so its annoying if you cant rez your own stuff because your forgetful friends used up your prim allowance)

Auto return other residents objects (in minutes) is in the About Land > Objects tab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3003 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.