(empty) and item message

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

In some viewers, you can change a Preferences setting to make it so that when an object speaks, its name shows as (empty) or (no name), so that you are less likely to be fooled by a spoofing message.  In Firestorm, for example, that option is in Preferences >> Chat >> Mark objects with (no name) when they speak to avoid spoofing.  If I have that option enabled, I can tell the difference between a message that you send me and one that has been sent by an object named alexanderpampers.   I can't be sure that this is the explanation for what you're seeing, but I suspect that it is similar.  Of course, it could also simply mean that whoever scripted that message forgot to give it a name.   In any case, it's a mild curiosity.  If everything in SL worked that well, we'd be out of a job here in Answers. :smileytongue: 

• Like 1

1 answer to this question

In some viewers, you can change a Preferences setting to make it so that when an object speaks, its name shows as (empty) or (no name), so that you are less likely to be fooled by a spoofing message.  In Firestorm, for example, that option is in Preferences >> Chat >> Mark objects with (no name) when they speak to avoid spoofing.  If I have that option enabled, I can tell the difference between a message that you send me and one that has been sent by an object named alexanderpampers.   I can't be sure that this is the explanation for what you're seeing, but I suspect that it is similar.  Of course, it could also simply mean that whoever scripted that message forgot to give it a name.   In any case, it's a mild curiosity.  If everything in SL worked that well, we'd be out of a job here in Answers. :smileytongue: 

• Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3154 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.