Jump to content

Received Items folder vs. Objects folder


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I am wondering why some things I buy in Marketplace show up in my Objects folder and some things show up in my Received Items folder.  I was in SL a few years ago, and I don't remember a Received Items folder. Is it new? What is the purpose of having these two different folders?

Thanks, just curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, and welcome back.

Yes, received items is relatively new. It is part of direct delivery.

In the past, merchants put their products for sale in a magic box and when you purchased something, the magic box would send the item to your inventory, usually the objects folder.

However, many times the magic box would fail or something so they came up with direct delivery.

With direct delivery, things get sent straight from the sellers inventory to your received items folder.

That is how it is supposed to work.

Magic boxes are slowly and painfully being phased out, maybe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

THe items that go to your received folder are delivered via the new direct delivery method, whereas the items that go to your objects folder are delivered via the magic box.

The MP is in transition now between the two methods and eventually you will get everything in your received folder.  However there are some MP issues that have to be addressed before the transition is complete.

FYI: Direct delivery transfers an item directly from the merchants inventory to yours.  No in world box is needed.  Instead items for sale are put in a specified folder in the merchants inventory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

FYI: Direct delivery transfers an item directly from the merchants inventory to yours. 

Apologies for what might appear to be pedantic but this sort of statement has caused much distress and fear with some merchants who aren't aware of what actually happens.

Direct delivery transfers a copy of the items directly from Marketplace, a COPY OF THE ITEM which the merchant has UPLOADED from their inventory to the Marketplace.

There is a difference.  Far too much merchant paranoia around "I don't want people having access to my inventory, what if my inventory never loads, what if it gets lost in my inventory?" etc.

It is NEVER delivered from a merchants inventory.  (At least, not in the sense that most people understand their view of "inventory")

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Sassy Romano wrote:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

FYI: Direct delivery transfers an item directly from the merchants inventory to yours. 

Apologies for what might appear to be pedantic but this sort of statement has caused much distress and fear with some merchants who aren't aware of what actually happens.

Direct delivery transfers a copy of the items directly from Marketplace, a COPY OF THE ITEM which the merchant has UPLOADED from their inventory to the Marketplace.

There is a difference.  Far too much merchant paranoia around "I don't want people having access to my inventory, what if my inventory never loads, what if it gets lost in my inventory?" etc.

It is NEVER delivered from a merchants inventory.  (At least, not in the sense that most people understand their view of "inventory")

 

Sorry if you felt my explanation was too simplified.  I assumed that most merchants understood or would understand  if they took the time to look at the information and instructions about direct delivery.  But I guess some merchants are like many people and never read the complete information and instructions to find out for themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes unfortunately, following the inworld group chats and merchants forums for the past year provides sufficient evidence to conclude that there's still a belief that it comes direct from the merchants personal inventory when it doesn't.  I wasn't setting out to pick fault or score points, just add clarity, should anyone have read it literally.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:


Sassy Romano wrote:


Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

FYI: Direct delivery transfers an item directly from the merchants inventory to yours. 

Apologies for what might appear to be pedantic but this sort of statement has caused much distress and fear with some merchants who aren't aware of what actually happens.

Direct delivery transfers a copy of the items directly from Marketplace, a COPY OF THE ITEM which the merchant has UPLOADED from their inventory to the Marketplace.

There is a difference.  Far too much merchant paranoia around "I don't want people having access to my inventory, what if my inventory never loads, what if it gets lost in my inventory?" etc.

It is NEVER delivered from a merchants inventory.  (At least, not in the sense that most people understand their view of "inventory")

 

Sorry if you felt my explanation was too simplified.  I assumed that most merchants understood or would understand  if they took the time to look at the information and instructions about direct delivery.  But I guess some merchants are like many people and never read the complete information and instructions to find out for themselves.

Hi Amethyst.  From listening to chat on the in world merchant group, there are not only merchants who don't look up information but who are totally clueless there *are* SL forums (including a Merchants Forum).  I responded to someone the other day advising them to check out the Merchants Forum on the SL website because the question was one that was currently being discussed in detail on a thread there.  The merchant said, "I'm looking on your profile and don't see that group.  How can I join?"  I said that it wasn't an in world group but the website forum.  After a few minutes, same person said, "I'm looking it up in groups and don't see it to join."  /facepalm

It took a couple of times to get it through to this person that I was referring to a forum, not a group.  This might be an extreme case....but I truly think there are many, many people in SL selling things who are largely clueless about the types of things those of us who frequent the forums or check on the website about consider common knowledge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3356 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...