Slammed with non delivery emails for DD Items

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had a couple of those too.  This just posted on the Grid Status:

Marketplace Maintenance

[Posted 3:19pm PDT, 10 July 2012] There is maintenance going on with our marketplace, that will cause residents to have to relog into the viewer before they see their orders in the received items folder.  The updates will be completed by the end of the day tomorrow, at which time deliveries should appear as normal.

Sassy Romano wrote:

and isnt it funny prior to the DD deployment how many ppl said that with DD's model of delivery direct to the customer's inventory .... so many of all the problems experienced with those evil magic boxes (failed and delayed deliveries) would all go away ..... 

and wow.... just another case to prove that DD is not and has never been the great revolution in xstreet/MP delivery of products that so many believed it would be.

Thankfully my main products are still on the old reliable MB !!

/me *spanks* Toy

:P

You know your magic box is as reliable as UDP is reliable in network communications.

What's interesting about this issue is that in fact DD IS delivering, it's just not appearing until after a relog so there's no failure to deliver.  (I'm just having fun being a little pedantic here) :)

It is woefully unintuitive though, shouldn't happen, shouldn't be written in such a way that it could ever happen and somewhat disappointing that it can.  Makes me wonder about the underlying architecture even more.

One would have expected a transactional event that did a database operation, then a message to the viewer which was then acknowledged.  An unacknowledged message should be retried until it does appear or timeout.

If never acknowledged, then back out the transaction and inform everyone it failed.

What appears to happen here is that the database operation happens but the message gets lost and so the viewer isn't commanded to refresh and show the new inventory.

Takes me right back to transactions in https://jire.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-4508

Just out of curiousity... How many Non Delivery's = Slammed or Swamped...?

I get maybe 1-2 a month requests from customers needing an item re-delivered out of 2-3000 items sold and they range from single item carts to 10 item carts....I have quite a few freebie gestures besides the many for sale...Everything has been on DD since it was available...I don't believe that I have any worse or better experience with DD than MB...Other than the advantage of not havung to put MB in multiple sims...

It's not that they are Non-Deliveries, Kurt.  The lab has been doing some maintenance on the Marketplace the past couple of days and the orders are arriving, but just not showing up in the Received Items folder until after the buyer logs off and back in again.  Once they do that...there's all their items.  They say in the grid status that the maintenance will be complete today and orders will go back to showing as normal.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.