Major change to Age Verification

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just got off of a live chat with concierge support.  From now on, to age verify, you must open a ticket and send a photo copy of your legal identification.  This effect is cascading and will, eventually, affect all residents.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kotekru Teskat wrote:

I just got off of a live chat with concierge support.  From now on, to age verify, you must open a ticket and send a photo copy of your legal identification.  This effect is cascading and will, eventually, affect all residents.

Thanks Kotekru, least we can now tell affected residents something helpful. I will pass on to other helpers on Answers.

Chronometria wrote:

That photocopy thing must be a joke surely. That would be completely impractical.

It's [always been] the method required for confirming identity/age via Support. Same process as changing your date of birth in your account, and other security measures (such as a compromised account).

Users without these (and similar) issues can most often verify either with Payment on File, or Age Verification. That is, once the SLGridStatus gets resolved.

Chronometria wrote:

That photocopy thing must be a joke surely. That would be completely impractical.

back in the day if you couldn't age verify via the online form and you had to manually verify you had to copy your driving license or passport and include it in a support ticket i think having to send in copies of one of those documents (you can black out all but the info LL needs to verify your age) will put off people from age verifying i was wary about manually verifying but i had to do it at the time

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

It appears that things are working for some and borking for others.  Perhaps the unscheduled maintenance that popped up will resolve things.

Well, the age verification rules seem to have changed as witnessed by age verification disappearing from Dashboard and amendments to the KB. I guess the transformation is not proceeding painlessly and some things are indeed borked.

Imnotgoing Sideways wrote:

Well, I'm double confused.  I just logged in my
unverified
alt of less than 2 weeks old and teleported it to my Adult club without issue.  I placed a screenshot on its profile.  What can be said of this? (
o.O
)

Then the system is working for you if your alt's birth date was over 18 when creating her.

To visit Adult-designated regions in Second Life or view Adult-rated search results, you must:
  1. Be 18 years or older.  We determine your age based on the birthdate you provide when you set up your Second Life account.

Ceera Murakami wrote:

Checked my accounts. One of my alts made in 2010 was set to General and Moderate only, but I was able to re-set it back to GMA. All the others retained their settings.

I forgot to check mine until now! Anyway one is fine with GMA, the other has been reset to GM only even though her birthdate shows an age well over 18 and I can't reset to GMA. So I guess it's Support for her. :(

I think this new way of cutting off Adult access for accounts which may? be underage is a good thing

the old way was to suspend the account entirely

this new way a person who is underage [ edit: and lied on the signup ] can still login and play on their account. just not able to access adult content until they can proof themselfs

for any genuine overage account that gets caught up in this then I dont think is a biggie. is maybe a inconvenience at most for some but I think most adults be ok with this

I just logged in with both my accounts (it's easy since I have two computers completely separate from each other).  My maturity ratings are still GMA on both.  There's been a lot of speculating in this thread and my experience over the years has been speculating about what LL does to does not do is more than just futile.......you have no inside information since LL is very tight lipped about internal stuff (you're just spitting in the wind with any guesses about what's going on right now with age verification).

I will say I never age verifified my alt.  I age verified way back when it was beta and Integrity was the 3rd party that LL used for the process.  I also used the same email, my real name, and the same payment method when I created my alt.....I'm pretty sure that tied to the two together so when I tried adult rated rated sims and areas with my alt, all I had to do what set it in preferences.  That leads me to believe that some of the problems people may be experiencing is because when they signed their alts they used different email, maybe a different name (though that is really close to the ToS violation), and a different payment method (or maybe no payment method at all).  Everyone says that I have to "age verify" each account indepentantly of the other accounts.........but I never had to do that.  Maybe I'm special........I don't know.

As to what I think is going away from the older process.  I really don't think LL is going to allow the date of birth to be the determining factor to get to all the adult rated areas in SL.  I think it's going to replace that (full of holes) secondary method of "payment method on file" to access adult areas that are not flagged as adult by the owner of the land/sim.  That payment method on file assumed that the person with that payment method was over the age of 18.........that is not a very solid stance for any company to take (and it never was).  It's perfectly legal for an underaged person to have a valid credit card in the United States...........a 16 year old can have a CC in their name and it will be just as good as my CC in my name as far as any company is concerned.  Yeah the 16 year old has to have an adult vouche (co-sign) for the card but there's no way a company accepting that card is aware of that........if they assume the person named on the CC is a legal adult then they are assuming something that is very dangerous when they use that as a determination of adulthood.  The age you gave at sign up is better that PMOF because, if some legal action is taken against LL for underage exposure to adult content they have the very slim defence that the person lied........flimsy, but not near as flimsy as using payment method on file.  It also could open up the possiblity of accepting pre-paid cards (planning for such a change might well be part of this age verification thing.........so much is intertwined it's mind breaking).

Much to my annoyance, all of my avatars too seem to still have 'A' search on by default.

I'd love to be able to access A land, since I live there, byt not have A on in search by default, since the darn destination guide is opened everytime I log in to some random race-based splooge advert, as if to say "colored folk can GTFO of our SL."

The only one of my accounts that didn't remain GMA access was the first one that I set up in 2010, after they eliminated last names. "Ceera", with no last name (Ceera Resident in old viewers) was set to GM, but I had no problem switching back to GMA in Preferences.

I have just about every permutation on age verification and payment info. I have some that used the old 3rd party 'Aristotle' age verification, some that only had to enter a birthdate on the 'Age Verivication' choice from the dashboard, some that have payment info, some that either never had payment info or that I have removed all payment info from. None actually got locked out. All used my real information on sign-up for my name and address.

I suspect the problems are database errors. Some may also be accounts from periods when all you had to do was say "I am over 18", without specifying the exact birthdate.

Linden Lab wrote:

Hello,

This issue affecting those who were previous age verified but were having some troubles with their settings, should now be resolved. Please check your settings again.

best regards

Just checked my alt who was stuck on G-M and it is indeed resolved and she's now back to G-M-A. Hope it is for everyone else too. Thanks.

Seems to be sorted out now Ceka. My alt was reduced to GM only but I was able to tick the adult box when I logged in after LL said the problem was fixed on this thread. No new questions on age verification issues appearing on Answers apart from the odd one wondering how to age verify under the new system which of course is just a tick now so very easy.

"07-15-201206:38 AM

Seems to be sorted out now Ceka. My alt was reduced to GM only but I was able to tick the adult box when I logged in after LL said the problem was fixed on this thread. No new questions on age verification issues appearing on Answers apart from the odd one wondering how to age verify under the new system which of course is just a tick now so very easy."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Which, translated, means there is no age verification at all anymore.  As full of holes as the age verification process was before, it did have a very small level of protection for residents who dabble in adult content and actions.  That is all gone now for the residents.........they are entirely on their own should anything of an adult nature happening to, around or exposed to a minor who chose to lie about their age at sign-up.  No longer can those residents point to their attempt to deny such exposure to a minor by setting their land/region to age verifified.........that process no longer exists.  Since it's perfectly legal for minors to exist on the same grid that allows adults to endulge is adult activities LL pushed all the responsibility to the residents for protection of minors from adult content.

When LL opened the grid to minors a couple years ago (was it that long ago?), I changed my ways about adult activities so that I could feel more comfortable when encountering residents I did not know.  Now, I guess I'm going to have to alter my activities a little more.  It looks like I won't be chatting in public in any way but the most PG manner.........no more dirty jokes, silly innuendos or suggestive chit chat while at clubs or events.  It's probably going to get a little boring at times.  SL is changing............I'm not sure it's for the better (not for me anyway).

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

"
07-15-2012
06:38 AM

Seems to be sorted out now Ceka. My alt was reduced to GM only but I was able to tick the adult box when I logged in after LL said the problem was fixed on this thread. No new questions on age verification issues appearing on Answers apart from the odd one wondering how to age verify under the new system which of course is
just a tick now so very easy
."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Which, translated, means there is no age verification at all anymore.  As full of holes as the age verification process was before, it did have a very small level of protection for residents who dabble in adult content and actions.  That is all gone now for the residents.........they are entirely on their own should anything of an adult nature happening to, around or exposed to a minor who chose to lie about their age at sign-up.  No longer can those residents point to their attempt to deny such exposure to a minor by setting their land/region to age verifified.........that process no longer exists.  Since it's perfectly legal for minors to exist on the same grid that allows adults to endulge is adult activities LL pushed all the responsibility to the residents for protection of minors from adult content.

When LL opened the grid to minors a couple years ago (was it that long ago?), I changed my ways about adult activities so that I could feel more comfortable when encountering residents I did not know.  Now, I guess I'm going to have to alter my activities a little more.  It looks like I won't be chatting in public in any way but the most PG manner.........no more dirty jokes, silly innuendos or suggestive chit chat while at clubs or events.  It's probably going to get a little boring at times.  SL is changing............I'm not sure it's for the better (not for me anyway).

verification was done by your birthdate before..now it is still by your birthdate ..

when my husband made his first account..he messed up on the account birthdate when he hit the wrong number on the scoll bar..

he went on and still made the account not knowing about it..then he went and verified..

and passed the verification but could not still get in..this was when you had to use information when you age verified..

no matter what he did he could not enter adult anything..his viewer was stuck on G rated..he could not even get into mature..not unless he waited until his birth date that he entered when he opened the account ..turned 18 hehehehehe

(sorry..i'm not giggling at you..i just remember  laughing at him when he found out after 7 days what the problem was..they told him  when he turns 18 he can go to mature and adult LOL ..the silence and then the WTF!! after that had me rolling on the floor hehehehe)

then they changed age verification to birthdays..where you went to your dashboard and you just had to enter your birthday..

it really didn't matter what you entered there..if it didn't match your signup birth date..you were still not getting in anywhere else..

so really it has always been by the sign up birth date to get into any adult at all

verification was just to get on land with the land settings set to adult..

so it still comes down to them having to tell the truth like always..and the same protections for residents are still there like before....

in fact ..if your birth date was old enough on signup with the last change before this one..you were considered verified by age as well..

a lot of people would go to verify their age in their dashboard and see that it was already done..

so really it's just eliminating something that really was of no use anyways since it was all by the date you entered when opeing the account..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2841 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.