Will this computer be able to run SL effectively ?

RobT Hoyes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I saw this computer on ad as my current computer is barely able to keep up with everything, and I am lagging/crashing/ and freezing up.  I have a really good internet connection, but I don't know if this system would be able to support SL , and I don't want to buy a computer without continually crashing. It says that the graphics processor is an Intel HD Graphics 4000, but I don't see that listed in the requirements or recommended .  Here is a link/pdf file of the specs of the system, please can someone help me ?  Thank you in advance .

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/SVE15115FXS_mksp.pdf

5 answers to this question

I've just done the same Internet search that I imagine you have done (or should have done), and I'm only mildly impressed.  The Intel HD Graphics 4000 seems to compare well to low- or medium-level discrete graphics cards, which isn't saying  much.  Integrated graphics chips are designed primarily to save space and power in notebook computers, where they appeal primarily to people who want to run common business applications --- spreadsheets, word processing, e-mail, web browsing, and accounting routines.  They perform less well in the heavy-duty graphics environment of SL.  

Quite apart from the specs of that computer .... How do you know that you have a "really good Internet connection"?  Really good for what?  Second Life is a real bandwidth hog, and it relies on a continuous steady data stream between your computer and SL's servers.   Typically, that means a wired connection (not wireless) that has a ping time no higher than 150msec --- the lower the better --- and as close to 0.0% packet loss as you can get.  We get a dismaying number of troubled posts from people who have no problem with web browsing or playing simple MMO games like WoW, but can't handle SL. If you are lagging and crashing a lot now, consider the possibility that your computer isn't entirely to blame.  Your "really good Internet connection" might not be as good as you think. 

• Like 1

I believe it will run SL but I also believe you may be disappointed in the graphics performance.  I know the Intel HD3000 intergrated video adapter will run SL so I'm sure the HD4000 will too.  But the video being intergrated (in this case into the CPU chipset instead of the motherboard) it has not dedicated video RAM.  Sony calls it "Internal" but that is just a different way to saying it's "shared".  All the video RAM the graphics is going to need for rendering the scenes around you in SL is going to be taken from your system RAM (which is 6 GB on your computer).  Some of the rendering you will encounter in SL will want 1 GB.  That would leave 3 GB for your operating system and any other programs you need to be running while in SL (like firewall, antivirus, any spyware, etc).  My Windows 7 uses about 1.5 GB of RAM without any other stuff running.........you're probably needs slightly more due to the laptop's need to conserve battery power and other processes that laptops require over a desktop (I run a desktop).  I can see your system RAM being pretty much used up when running SL.......that may or may not be a problem but I always like to see some overhead on resources to act as a cushion.  Once your system uses up the RAM it starts using virtual RAM which is a portion of your hard drive to hold data that the RAM can't hold........that is 100's slower than RAM and it will slow stuff down a lot (even to the point of dropping your connection to the servers or crashing SL).

That computer can handle 8 GB max.........I would max it out.  Other than that, I'm sure it will run SL at med settings.  Your frame rates and rez times will not be anything to bragg about but it shouldn't be too bad.

• Like 1

No.  Big barrier is the Intel GPU.  Intel makes GPUs that are great for standard office desktops that don't do a whole lot of 3D rendering.  Look for laptops oriented towards drafters, cartographers and other CAD/GIS users to get the GPUs that work best with SL.

Rob didn't ask if it would run SL well.......he asked if it would run SL effectively. My idea of effectively is that it will run well enough to be effective. And I believe the HD4000 video chipset will do that (as will the HD3000, the old GMA 945 and GMA 965 onboard chipsets). I've used the GMA 945 onboard on my other computer temporarily while I got around to replacing the discrete card and was really quite surprised at the performance........around 10 to 15 FPS, and maybe twice the texture rezz time of my discrete card. That was at mid settings in preferences and draw distance down to 128 instead of my normal high settings and 256 draw distance. I would not say that it ran well, but it did run effectively.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4307 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.