hacking ??

Elizabette

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is it possible to hack into someone account and get online as someones elses avatar if they do not have their password? I  I had that happen recently , My friend was in the room with me not on SL and yet they came online standing just a few feet away from me?

5 answers to this question

Way 1 - You logged onto your Avatar account from their PC and forgot that the default option to save the password is turned on with several TPVs.

Way 1a - They have on of those password memorizing utilities for folks that hate to remember their passwords and you used their PC to login in once to SL.

Way 2 - They really know your password.

Way 3 - They really know YOU. [Guessing is easy when some kind of knows you well]

Way 4 - They've created incredibly complicated password intercept software using the directions found on a slip of paper dropped by a Russian Mafia member.

Way 5 - The SL server code totally screwed up and mis-directed the Avatar Updates to the wrong PC & Mac Address on your home network..

Way 6 - You shared a password with a really trusted friend in SL who you have never met. Or worst, you created a password named "password" or some such simple thing.

Pick the most likely...:cattongue:

P.S. Vanilla's postulation is interesting however I believe this shows up when your session disconnects [either by you or a error on the PC] and your avatar stays in-world "disconnected" from a session. In this case subsequent login attempts then force the avatar offline and you can connect again afterwards or the avatar remains locked in-world -  In that case until either a in-world time-out or in the worst case, a region restart is needed.

You did say they just rezzed next to you in-world yes?

Your avatar could have been "ghosted". Did they IM you and it say, user not online. Sometimes that is the only way to boot a person off. Avatars do sometimes tend to get stuck in limbo. Especially when using a third party viewer, or if there are region issues. Just to be on the safe side, you should change your password.

Probably a ghosted avatar, especially if they were not moving and unresponsive.  That said, you should always use unique strong passwords.  I recommend using this javaScript based strong password generator and Universal Password Manager to create and keep track of your passwords.  If you use the same password or easy passwords, then you're just asking to get hosed.

I don't think it's that complicated personnally.  What it looks like is that someone guessed your friend's password (or you friend shared it with someone) and while you were with your friend they logged in.  You and your friend may have the same log in location set in your viewers or maybe you and your friend were at the same place when you both last logged out of SL and have log into "Last location" set in your viewers.

As has been mentioned, if you don't have a strong password (one that is difficult to guess or figure out) then it might be easy for someone to log in with your avatar.........they already have half the necessary log in information which is your username.  Things people tend to do with passwords is create one that is very easy to remember.  Lots of people pick the name of their pet then without really thinking about it mention how much they love their new kitten named "Lilly"........anyone wanting to get in your account might think that "Lilly" is your password and they would be correct.  And, of course, as Karen mentioned some people choose "password" for their password (actully, according to a survey I read just a few months ago "password" is one of the most common passwords people use).

Change the password right now........it may be too late.  If someone can access your SL account and log in as you, they also can access your dashboard and have access to all your personal information you provided to LL.......including your payment information (credit card information or PayPal information).  If you suspect that then notify LL and the financial institution that supports your payment method.

Way 7 -- You got a link via chat, IM, or email that appeared to go to an SL website.  You entered your user name and password.  You've been phished, and the phisher now has your login information.

If you think you've been hacked, file a support ticket at once.  Also change your password (if you still can).  Your account will be disabled while LL investigates.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4272 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.