Can't get program to run it gets the error that says " second life doesn't work" windows vista

violetkitty

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Violet,

Our ability to look at your PC is using remote-mental-imaging is broken today/ [kidding]

Would you be nice enough to share with us the name and model information of your PC/Mac?

Post the information on your original question by selecting the Options drop-down menu button and selecting the Edit Question option.

It would also be helpful to have the exact error message you are receiving.

Welcome to Second Life Answers, violetkitty

The error actually says "second life doesn't work"? That doesn't sound like a familiar message. If you can be more specific, then that will be more helpful to diagnosing what's wrong.

I'm on Windows Vista, so that in itself shouldn't cause a problem running Second Life.  You might find, though, that you have the wrong type of graphics card, or may even just need to update your graphics card driver.

If you are trying to run Second Life from an icon that you've had on your computer for yonks, then a clean install of the Second Life viewer would be advisable.

To add more to this thread, please click on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit". Looking forward to receiving more information about your computer's specifications, then we'll try and get you up and running in Second Life once more. 

There's no error message that says "Second Life doesn't work", so we can't begin to guess what the problem is.  Well, that's not quite true.  Making a 95% blind guess, I'm going to say that you are either trying to run an extinct version of the Second Life viewer (version 1.23 maybe?) or you are using a very old computer.  Maybe both.  If I'm close to being right, you may not have an easy time getting in world.  The basic Second Life viewer has been upgraded many times in the past 2 or 3 years and it requires a much more powerful computer than the old viewers did.  If you are lucky, you might be able to install one of the third party viewers that are based on the old V1 code  (See http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory).

As I said up front, though, I am really guessing.  To give you a good answer, I'd need to know what viewer you really are using, and what kind of computer (and the type of graphics card it has).  To add that information and anything else that might be helpful, click on the Options link in the upper right corner of your question and select EDIT. Please do NOT start a new thread.

ETA:  Hehehe... It looks like everyone else is saying the same thing, but they type faster than I do.  :smileylol:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4370 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.