why can i not play the videos on the basics pages

maddalo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I've just registered a new SL account and I am attempting to work my way through the basic "getting started" instructional content on the SL site.  The problem I am having is that on the various pages of instructions categorized as "The Basics," which is to say the top 8 beginner tips--e.g. Customize your Appearance; Meet People & Make Friends, &c--I am unable to play the videos that are for all intents and purposes the only instructions given.  I have tried this with both Firefox and Safari (I'm running an IMac with OSX 10.7.4) and have done the usual mucking about with security preferences and plug-ins, but none of these seems to help.  Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks and all the best,

Maddalo

my Quicktime is updated and I also tried using Chrome after posting the question.  Any other suggestions?

@charolotte (is your caxton a nod to the printer of incunabula?)  & @valerie  it is gratifying to know that none of these videos is working for either of you either--this means i'm not making some obvious noob mistake.  Thanks also for the links to other instructional/expositional content; i've no doubt it will turn out to be rather useful.

@marigold - thanks also for steering me to the orientation - i will be exploiting this resource presently

again, thanks all for your kind assistance!

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life and to Second Life Answers, maddalo.

In the olden days (!), all new residents began in world by being walked through an orientation process.  This seems not to be the case.  To experience this, you can click on this link and be taken inworld to a Welcome Island Public sim. http://slurl.com/secondlife/Welcome%20Island%20Public6/29/231/23

I don't see any video links on the basics page, but there are a lot of useful official Second Life video tutorials over on youtube. Here's the link ...   http://www.youtube.com/playlist?ist=PLD237D0E11AC1F341&feature=plcp

If you wish to add more to this thread, please do so by clicking on "options" at the top right hand corner of your original post and "edit".

• Like 2

Thank you for adding more information to your original post, maddalo. 

I just wanted to add that it might seem like there is a lot to learn at first in Second Life - and there is.  For the first fortnight, I nearly gave up several times, but as you can see, more than four years later, I am still here. :matte-motes-big-grin:

Take your time with everything, explore and enjoy all there is to offer, and return often to these Answers/Forums.  We all learn something new every day, and share our knowledge. 

You might want to consider saving chatlogs and taking photographs, to either keep a personal diary record of your personal adventures in Second Life.  I wished I had thought to do this from my first week, but did so from about a month in, and it's fun to look back at the beginning, and see how things in Second Life (and my own life) have evolved.

I'm sure you will enjoy your Second Life.  Remember, take your time, and try to avoid 'burnout'.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.