Sign in to follow this  
RoidStroke

Hair and Hat problem

my avi has hair but i want to use a cap on top somehow you can see the hair  going threw the cap on the top... so it looks like the cap inside my hair... how to i fix this? thnks

Right click on the cap in your inventory and choose "add" (not "wear" otherwise it would replace your hair). Once you wear the cap, right click on it and use the edit function to play with the directional arrows to fit the cap at your taste. :smileywink:

If either the cap or hair (or both) are modify, you may try to stretch them until you get the result you want. Make sure to make a backup copy before modifying anything.

What you need to do in that case is to make a copy of your hair, wear the copy and the hat and then edit your hair using Edit Linked Prims, pushing hair that sticks through the hat down, in or to the side so it doesn't stick through.  It is a tedious and time consuming process but once done you will have hair that you can wear with a variety of different hats. Just be sure to change the name of the hair so you know which one it is.  What I do is just add the word 'hat' to the name.

Alternatively some hair is sold with a hat that you wear separately or which can be edited and removed so you can wear it with your existing hat.

Always make a copy of your items and edit the copy.  Never mod hair you can't copy unless you are an advanced builder and have a lot of experience editing hair.  Also be sure to change the name of the hair so you know which one it is.  What I do is just add the word 'hat' to the name.

I've used this method a number of times, works great! I usualy shrink the unwanted prims down as well so it's easier to move them without any parts sticking out somewhere. Another reason never to buy no mod hair with a resize script that can't be removed.

Time consuming yes but realy woth the trouble!

I came to the conclusion that hair and hats doesn't work in SL but it is possible.

I buy only moddable hair and made hair and hat fit, but since hair has usually 200-250 prims it's no fun to edit over 100 prims arranged in multiple layers.
Maybe you're lucky and your hairstyle is hat-friendly and there are only a few prims to move/rotate/resize.

I have often seen really big hats, which - of course - require less editing. But that looks crap in my opinion :)

As mentioned in another post - make a copy of your copy+mod hair 1st if you want to give it a try.

I, too, use the 'edit the hair' option with hats where my hair sticks through.  I will try different hairs first to see which one sticks out least and then edit that one.  Do remember to change the name of the hair you have edited so you know that it is one you can use with hats.

It may take a bit of time depending upon the hair you select, but it looks so much better.

I hate hats that are too big also.  It just doesn't look right.  Thats why i mod the hair.  I've actually have a hat version for most of my hair except a few that just aren't appropriate to wear with a hat.