Dash To Cam. Anybody know what that is? Now I do! Thanks for all the help. Much obliged.

PhillipMagnus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My magic HUD will let me Dash To Cam. Just click to move my Avi to where the camera is pointing. Doesn't the camera just point 'thataway", in a direction, not at a target. I inquired from the store, by the way, and they told me 'click to move where the camera is pointing', repeating it like I'm stupid. I might very well be. I'd still like to know how to Dash To Cam, though. Can anybody help?

7 answers to this question

Yeah - It causes your avatar to "Dash" to the cam location in-world - When it works. * giggles *

The cam view has a POV and location that LSL can retrieve. This information is used to set up the movement of your avatar to the relative POV location of the cam.

Here are the keyboard shortcuts that allow you to change your cam's POV without using the mouse.

View

Mouselook M
Reset View Esc
Look at Hold Alt and click mouse to re-center
Zoom in Ctrl+0
Zoom default Ctrl+9
Zoom out

Ctrl+8

Zoom camera in

Alt+↑

Zoom camera out

Alt+↓

Orbit up

Alt+Ctrl+↑

Orbit down

Alt+Ctrl+

Orbit left

Alt+Ctrl+←

Orbit right

Alt+Ctrl+→

Pan up

Alt+Ctrl+Shift+↑

Pan down

Alt+Ctrl+Shift+

Pan left

Alt+Ctrl+Shift+

Pan right

Alt+Ctrl+Shift+→

Now that you see where and what you want to Dash to, press the Dash to Cam button area on the HUD - Yes it is interactive. It also has a hotkey but I don't remember the key combo to activate it.

Sometimes DtC uses a site to site TP - sometimes it's a real silly wiggling walk. It only works it you have permission to enter the location [parcel] that your cam is viewing. Security Orbs, Access lists & in-between parcels that you don't have access permission to can all cause you to go splat.

The developer had scripted several methods to accomplish the "dash" - Which is used and when to get you there is only known by them.

Your camera can be controlled by your mouse and does not always just point thataway.

Try alt left clicking on something, anything, and you will see your camera, not your avatar, focus on that point.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Camera-point-of-view-controls/ta-p/700047#Section_.2

I made a device that sounds very much like that a year or two ago. Your camera is at the exact center of your screen. It's a fairly simple matter to write a script that will substitute your own position for the camera's.  In my device and I suspect in the one you have, you simply hold down your Alt key and click the mouse on a spot you want to go to.  That automatically centers the location on your screen. Then you zoom in reasonably close, so the camera's position is a few meters back from the spot, and activate the device.  Zip!  You're there. 

Incidentally, if you use the Firestorm viewer, that function is built in.  You just type "tp2cam" in chat.  Here's the description.....

Teleport to cam position (tp2cam): Teleports the avatar to the position the cursor is currently looking at. This is useful when walking into a store. After looking around and finding the item to purchase, this shortcut takes you to the position immediately, without having to walk.

• Like 1

It's not quite the same thing, Lindal. Double-click TP, being a teleport, doesn't work in -- for example -- large shops that have a landing point set (you'll have seen that error about "unable to teleport closer to target" at times, doubtless). Dash2Cam, in contrast, uses physics movement actually to move you very fast, so, provided it doesn't try to take you through a no-entry parcel (not normally an issue in a shop) it should work anywhere.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4308 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.