viewer crashes after login

kari1sl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My system is not a "gaming machine" but last week I decided to give SL a try and was pleasently surprised it worked! OK, after a lot of activty it crashed but I still had som nice adventures. However for the past three days my the SL viewer crashes after log-in but before my avatar has fully materialised.

I have an Intel Core(TM)2 CPU T530 @ 1.73 GHz and 1G of DD2 SDRAM so I shut down all the non-essentials. Opening the Viewer kicks the CPU usage up from 5% to a high of 80% but soon settles to ~25% once all the SL "adverts" have populated the login screen.
When I log in, the CPU spikes to about 80% again.

I'm not sure what video card I have but under Display Adapters there's a Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family. (I can't find anything I recognize like ATI or NVIDEA - and the only way I'd open this thing up is with a hammer!)

I'm running Vista.

It worked before and all I've done since is tweak my avatar to look more like me and accumulated a lot of free objects.

Help.

Just now found this ...

Second Life 3.3.3 (260300) Jun 21 2012 14:14:25 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T5300  @ 1.73GHz (1728.99 MHz)
Memory: 1014 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel 945GM

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 7.14.0010.1187
OpenGL Version: 1.4.0 - Build 7.14.10.1187

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

8 answers to this question

Hi kari1sl,

Your computer is using Intel integrated graphics, the 945GM. It's not a graphics card as such, just part of the CPU, hence integrated graphics. Second Life really requires a discrete graphics card e.g. ATI/AMD or Nvidea and even then, preferably not an entry level card.

You may have better luck running a v1-based viewer such as the Phoenix viewer which you can download from this page:

http://www.phoenixviewer.com/

It will be less stressful on your computer than the newer v3-based viewers such as the latest official viewers or Firestorm.

• Like 1

This may be a long shot. But somone had this issue the other day and their system was low end like yours ( no offense) It seems they had a lot of built up notifications at the top right corner of the viewer .. If you have a lof of those showing on the top right of your screen when you log in. Right click on them and clear them out. 99 of them can eat up a lot of memory it seems....

Good luck :)

• Like 1

Oh no!

I assumed it was trouble with RAM size or CPU speed - so (just hours before discovering this help section) I ordered a machine with 8GB of RAM, Intel Cori5 (2.5GHz) and for Graphics Card Description it says .... "Intel Graphics"!

I couldn't find a laptop with ATI/AMD or Nvidea. Seems they are in towers. I travel a lot so must have a laptop.

I know nothing about graphics cards (obviously).

Am I going to be disappointed with by Intel Integrated "Illusion" or is there a work around? Can I put something in RAM to help? Is there an NVIDEA "emulator"? Can a graphics card run as a peripheral through a USB?

Thanks, Nyll, for the tip about Phoenix. I'll give it a go on my current (945GM) system. If Phoenix works on this old machine, it will work even better on the new one (I guess).

:-)

Thanks, Dibert, for the suggestion, but I have no notifications ...and not sure I'd be able to get to them before crashing.

No offense taken about my low end - your talking about my computer, right?

Haah

:-)

Thanks, Dilbert, for the tip on Cool VL. Tried it and, sadly, had the same problem. Nyll suggested Phoenix viewer but that also did not solve it. Neither did Imprudence, Exodus, Dolphin or Singularity!

I'm hoping that the problem is RAM or CPU (or both) because each crash is accomponied by a spike to or near 100% utlisation. And SL viewer, which seems to have more difficulty than Singularity or Dolphin, always "choked" loading clothing. I've accumulated a lot of freebies and also messed up by piling several hairs onto my avatar. (I thought I was replacing but must have been mistake.)

Some viewers gave me enough time to dump most of the freebies I've accumulated and all that hair. That seems to help but not enough. A few clicks and SL viewer still crashes.

I couldn't find a laptop with ATI/AMD or Nvidea (I travel a lot so must have a laptop) so, a couple days ago I ordered a machine with Graphics Card Description "Intel Graphics" - but with 8GB of RAM and Intel Cori5 (2.5GHz)

Next week, when it arrives, I'll find out if better RAM and CPU can solve my problem,

If not, can I load something in RAM to help? Is there an NVIDEA "emulator"? Can a graphics card run as a peripheral through a USB?

I'll try anything short of hardware changes to give me a stable SL.

Thanks,

Ram will probably help a bit I am sure but not as much as a better cpu or gpu. Check out This video about the vi-dock external graphics card for laptops. docking a video card to your laptop.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh5wDT5t9uE. .

I used to have a 2.6 ghz processor with 8 gigs of ram. and the CPU ran at 100% all the time. Sl really pushes a lot of processing graphics and CPU. If your graphics card is not up to par, then the system will turn to the CPU for more processing power. So if your vid card is maxed out while the CPU is also maxed. Then your PC has run out of options to process the information. So a much much stronger Video card will be best to make up for lack of CPU power.

Good luck on your quest :) check out vi-doc :)

Thanks for the advice and link Dilbert.

My new computer arrived and I just about fell over when it said something about installing NIVIDA graphics - because the specs said Intell. My joy was short lived when the start up sent me to NIVIDA to get the latest driver and Nivida warned it would not work if installed.

Below is the info.

Regardless, all is well so far. No crashes. But I'll keep that link handy and might splash out on that external card.

Thanks for your help.

CPU: Intel® Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz (2494.37 MHz)

Memory: 8104 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: Intel

Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics Family

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2253

OpenGL Version: 3.0.0 - Build 8.15.10.2253

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1

Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000

Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)

Voice Server Version: Not Connected

Built with MSVC version 1600

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.