Sign in to follow this  
Sunou

Concern with uploading textures

Question

Well, you can upload it for free on the Beta grid, or if you have Phoenix or Firestorm, use the temporary upload feature. That way you could check and see

However, it looks to me as if you haven't set the alpha channel correctly...have you saved the image with an alpha channel?  And what does that look like?

3 answers to this question

Well, you can upload it for free on the Beta grid, or if you have Phoenix or Firestorm, use the temporary upload feature. That way you could check and see

However, it looks to me as if you haven't set the alpha channel correctly...have you saved the image with an alpha channel?  And what does that look like?

Hi Sunou,

When you upload a clothing texture (like the one you are uploading), the "preview" panel shows approximately what it will look like on an avatar (if you scroll through the options in the preview, it will show the texture on various portions of the avatar like the upper body or lower body, male or female).  The "preview" panel is very approximate and won't help with lining up seams (except to see very very obvious non-alignment).  So, to answer your question, yes, what you are seeing is to be expected.

If you are considering designing clothing for yourself or others on a regular basis, I would recommend that you visit the Preview Grid.  If you are using the official LL Viewer, the Preview Grid (also known as the Beta Grid), will let you upload textures without spending real Lindens to "test" them. The Preview Grid gives you "play" Lindens.  They don't transfer to the regular Grid, and, the textures you upload on the Preview Grid don't transfer.  But, it will allow you to inspect your textures before spending your real money in Second Life to upload them for real. To read more about the Preview Grid and how to log onto it, please see this Wiki page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid

If you use a Third Party Viewer, many have "temp uploads" which do essentially the same thing. They allow you to upload a texture to "test" it while you are in Second Life (not the Preview Grid).  They disappear from your inventory after about 24-48 hours, so remember they are not permanent.  When you are happy with the results, then you upload the actual texture (and pay the $10L per upload).

I hope that will help!

Edited to add:  lol, Lindal is a much faster typist than I am! Her answer and mine are very similar (just so you aren't confused)

Edited to add:

Sunou, if this is a modification to something you bought in SL, have you tried to contact the original creator to ask for some help?  That could be the quickest way to solve your problems since the original creator knows the files and what can or cannot be achieved in editing them.