Concern with uploading textures

Sunou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I know how to upload textures, at least I think I do, but this is my first time and I have a bit of a concern.

The texture I want to upload looks like: this

However, when I click the preview options, it looks like: this

Is this normal for it to look different in the preview? Or is there something I'm missing/need to fix before I click the Upload button?

EDIT:

I tried logging into the Beta Server (Aditi) but it took me to another area. Apparently it is down?

The template I am trying to use is one of a few skin textures that I wanted to use for my avatar. It was provided in a box set, among other editable textures, from an avatar I had bought. I had simply changed the colors. The default textures for that avatar, which look exactly the same except a different color, work fine. This is why I'm wondering if I am coloring the textures wrong somehow.

I'm still a bit confused-- even if I were able to use Aditi, I still am not sure how to fix the problem. Also, I'm using the default SL viewer.

How do I save with alpha channels? This may actually be the issue, since my textures show up in grayscale instead of the color I wanted.. Sorry for such noobish questions.

EDIT 2:

Thanks very much for that section about alpha layers and the tutorial, but when I followed all of the steps for Photoshop Elements, the skin still has the same miscoloration in the preview. I'm not sure what else to try at this point. I'm almost tempted to upload the texture anyway and hope that the preview is just wrong. But I really don't want to waste the $L...

EDIT 3:

ISSUE FIXED! Actually, it didn't even need any fixing. I used the Beta server to see if the textures I had would show up properly when put on my avatar, and they do! It's just the Preview function that was innacurate. Thanks all who put their two cents in to try to help me out.

3 answers to this question

Well, you can upload it for free on the Beta grid, or if you have Phoenix or Firestorm, use the temporary upload feature. That way you could check and see

However, it looks to me as if you haven't set the alpha channel correctly...have you saved the image with an alpha channel?  And what does that look like?

Hi Sunou,

When you upload a clothing texture (like the one you are uploading), the "preview" panel shows approximately what it will look like on an avatar (if you scroll through the options in the preview, it will show the texture on various portions of the avatar like the upper body or lower body, male or female).  The "preview" panel is very approximate and won't help with lining up seams (except to see very very obvious non-alignment).  So, to answer your question, yes, what you are seeing is to be expected.

If you are considering designing clothing for yourself or others on a regular basis, I would recommend that you visit the Preview Grid.  If you are using the official LL Viewer, the Preview Grid (also known as the Beta Grid), will let you upload textures without spending real Lindens to "test" them. The Preview Grid gives you "play" Lindens.  They don't transfer to the regular Grid, and, the textures you upload on the Preview Grid don't transfer.  But, it will allow you to inspect your textures before spending your real money in Second Life to upload them for real. To read more about the Preview Grid and how to log onto it, please see this Wiki page: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid

If you use a Third Party Viewer, many have "temp uploads" which do essentially the same thing. They allow you to upload a texture to "test" it while you are in Second Life (not the Preview Grid).  They disappear from your inventory after about 24-48 hours, so remember they are not permanent.  When you are happy with the results, then you upload the actual texture (and pay the $10L per upload).

I hope that will help!

Edited to add:  lol, Lindal is a much faster typist than I am! Her answer and mine are very similar (just so you aren't confused)

Edited to add:

Sunou, if this is a modification to something you bought in SL, have you tried to contact the original creator to ask for some help?  That could be the quickest way to solve your problems since the original creator knows the files and what can or cannot be achieved in editing them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4314 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.